Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ted Healy... What Might Have Been

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Ken Heath posted on the Three Stooges Fan Club's Yahoo.com discussion board...

I was looking through the Friday, September 15, 1950 edition of the Cumberland, MD, Evening Times, and stumbled upon this quick reference to Ted, in Jack O'Brian's "Radio Roundup", distributed by International News Service:

"I don't know of anyone in sight or sound of a TV set who doesn't have a television show idea. I have three. Discourages me to think Ethel Merman probably will be locked away in magnificent luxury in 'Call Me Madam' for years when we need her so badly on TV. If Bert Lahr doesn't get a TV show I'll do something drastic... ...What's happened to the dozens of plans to present 'original musical comedy' on TV every week? Ted Healy would have been a riot on TV."

And, that's all he had to say about Ted, one little sentence, but how wonderful it is to think that, nearly 15 years after his passing, Ted Healy was still remembered...well enough that mere mention of his name brought an immediate image of his style of comedy. Too bad that he wasn't still around to make that image reality on the small screen.

I replied with this observation...

ALWAYS LEAVE THEM LAUGHING (1949) contains a similar tribute/reference. In a scene with Milton Berle, Bert Lahr mentions Ted Healy as one of the great showbiz talents who passed away too soon. A particularly noteworthy scene, since Berle regarded Healy as his greatest influence.

As we know, the "fable" that Ted amounted to nothing after the Stooges (perpetuated by a scene in that 2000 TV movie) is total bullshit.

Ted Healy began an impressive film career after he and the Stooges parted ways. 1934-1937, he costarred in over 20 (!) films with stars like Clark Gable, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Benny, Dick Powell, Robert Young, Peter Lorre, Alice Faye, Franchot Tone, Mickey Rooney, more...

Not only did his film career take off successfully at MGM, and then Fox and Warners, but a radio series (with Mousie, Jack & Dick as his stooges) was pending when he died.

Ted certainly had his demons with alcohol, but Powell, Young, Benny and Stewart regarded him as a great talent and friend. Dick Powell was a pall bearer, and Robert Young became a surrogate "uncle" to Ted Jr.

Jack O'Brian is right... we can only guess what Ted's 1940s-1960s film & television legacy could have been, but I believe a continued life and career would have placed Healy in the same pantheon as Jimmy Durante, Phil Silvers, Edgar Kennedy, Milton Berle, et. al.

What could've been... Ted Healy hosting THE COLGATE COMEDY HOUR and THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, costarring in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, a guest-villain on BATMAN...

If Ted Healy hadn't died tragically and so young...

How do you think his career would have progressed into the '40s, '50s and '60s?

Offline Double Deal Decker

I think he probably would have kept working. Maybe not as a leading man, but rather in support roles, i.e., a "Carney to a Gleason" situation.

Offline metaldams

Impossible to say, really.  I think it would've all depended on whether he would've had that breakthrough film or radio role.  When he died, he was making a good living as support comic relief in MGM features, and I could see him doing that until the end of the studio system.  If he did find that breatkthrough performance, then I guess the sky would've been the limit.

Still, he DID have a bad alcohol problem, and while it would be naive to think all successful Hollywood people were sober, we'll never know what kind of effect this would've had on his career had he lived.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I'm sure he could have plugged along and made a decent living. Like him or not, his greatest accomplishment would have always been laying down the groundwork to the Three Stooges. A lot of people don't like to give him enough credit.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Justin T

I'm sure he could have plugged along and made a decent living. Like him or not, his greatest accomplishment would have always been laying down the groundwork to the Three Stooges. A lot of people don't like to give him enough credit.

I completly agree Jazz, there are alot of Stooge fans who dont like to give ANY credit to Ted for the creation of the Stooges.
He was a great talent who died just as his star was rising. It's a shame he is largely forgotten outside of Stooge circles when
it comes to classic comedy.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Fake Shemp

Agreed. It's a pity that people, even back then (correct me if I'm wrong) never gave him as much credit as they did the Stooges. If it wasn't for Ted Healy, then The Three Stooges would have never existed and there wouldn't be a site like this today!

moe-jo

Ted was pretty cute, so he would have made a good leading man.  Probably would get out of vaudeville and onto the big screen.

Offline archiezappa

Ted Healy as a villain on Batman?  That's interesting.  I could easily see him as the Joker.  He would make a great Joker.

Offline busybuddy

Ted was pretty cute, so he would have made a good leading man.  Probably would get out of vaudeville and onto the big screen.

I know she's gone, but this still makes me so mad. He'd been on the big screen off and on for 8 years when he died!

Does anyone know when Ted's last stage appearance was?
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline archiezappa

Did he make any stage appearances after his split with Moe, Larry & Curly?

Offline beth_healy_lee

Pardon me for replying to an old topic.  However, I had to just express my gratitude for such an insightful thread.  It's a concept I've often wondered about.

Offline metaldams

Pardon me for replying to an old topic.  However, I had to just express my gratitude for such an insightful thread.  It's a concept I've often wondered about.

No problem, it's a good thread. Welcome aboard.  You're not by any chance related to Ted Healy?

I always found it fascinating in the surviving letters of Stan Laurel, he basically thought of the Three Stooges, even in the mid 50's, as Ted Healy's boys.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

No problem, it's a good thread. Welcome aboard.  You're not by any chance related to Ted Healy?

I always found it fascinating in the surviving letters of Stan Laurel, he basically thought of the Three Stooges, even in the mid 50's, as Ted Healy's boys.
Ted Healy's ex-wife Betty Healy co-starred with Laurel & Hardy in their 1936 feature OUR RELATIONS. Stan stayed in touch with Betty for many years.
There's a great site that has compiled many of the letters Stan wrote over the years, including many to Betty Healy. There are references to Ted and The Stooges in some of the letters. In a letter dated September 22, 1956 Stan mentions having just seen Moe and Larry on a TV show called "Tom Duggan Show" (is this documented?). Check out his funny description of Larry:

http://www.lettersfromstan.com/stan_early07.html

More of Stan's letters to Betty Healy:

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl?index=431637&query=betty+healy&SEARCH=Search&opt=ANY

Fascinating stuff, especially for Laurel & Hardy fans. There is info in these letters that is nowhere else!

Offline beth_healy_lee

I am indeed.  I am the eldest of his two granddaughters. 

Most of you probably know that when my dad was born, he was named John Nash, but he legally changed it to Ted Healy when he was in his twenties to honor his father.  I named my son, who is now 18, John Healy to honor them both.

Love the links, and thank you very much for them.  Now that my son is an adult, I think he might be interested in some of the crazy, funny, and always fascinating stories from his great-grandfather's life.

chad2411

I am indeed.  I am the eldest of his two granddaughters. 

Most of you probably know that when my dad was born, he was named John Nash, but he legally changed it to Ted Healy when he was in his twenties to honor his father.  I named my son, who is now 18, John Healy to honor them both.

Love the links, and thank you very much for them.  Now that my son is an adult, I think he might be interested in some of the crazy, funny, and always fascinating stories from his great-grandfather's life.

WHAT!  Healy was you great-grandfather.  Welcome to the site, very cool to hear from your..

Offline beth_healy_lee

Close!  Ted Healy is my grandfather, which would make him my son's great-grandfather.  And thank you for the welcome.

Offline metaldams

Close!  Ted Healy is my grandfather, which would make him my son's great-grandfather.  And thank you for the welcome.

That's excellent!  By the way, this is a great board for you or your son if they want to know anything about Ted Healy.  There are a couple of VERY knowledgable people here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Hello and welcome!
I had the pleasure of meeting your Dad when he came to a couple of the Three Stooges Conventions in the late 1980's. Nice guy!
Please do say hello to him from us who met him back then. Hope he's doing well.

Offline beth_healy_lee

I had the pleasure of meeting your Dad when he came to a couple of the Three Stooges Conventions in the late 1980's. Nice guy!

Thank you!  He had the privilege of speaking at the July 1991 Three Stooges Convention - and I (and my then-3-month-old son) accompanied him.  What a wonderful time we all had.  It was such a joy for him to be able to meet and talk to some of the really delightful people who attended. 

I had the honor of meeting and getting to know the late Mousie Garner at that convention.  Absolutely amazing, and one of the funniest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Offline Rich Finegan

Thank you!  He had the privilege of speaking at the July 1991 Three Stooges Convention - and I (and my then-3-month-old son) accompanied him.  What a wonderful time we all had.  It was such a joy for him to be able to meet and talk to some of the really delightful people who attended. 

I had the honor of meeting and getting to know the late Mousie Garner at that convention.  Absolutely amazing, and one of the funniest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet.
Yes, actually I do remember you, and the baby. I have some pictures.
And Mousie!! What a character! Loved that guy!

Offline archiezappa

Whoa!  I love hearing from actual relatives of the Stooges.  I've always wondered what their relatives thought of their comedy.  Good to hear from you!