Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Does anyone watch Whose Line Is It Anyways?

luke795 · 10 · 2286

Offline luke795

I wonder what it would be like if the Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp, and Curly), the Marx Brothers, the Ritz Brothers, Abbott & Costello, and Laurel & Hardy were on Whose Line Is It Anyways.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Unlike Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg or Florence Henderson, our boys would steal the show.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Dog Hambone

There is no script on that show; it's all about improvising. Since the Stooges did a lot of ad libbing and improvising, I think they would be terrific. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Since the Stooges did a lot of ad libbing and improvising 

A common statement, and in connection with their films, mostly untrue.

As Ed Bernds once told me, the films' schedules and budgets did not allow for ad libs and improvisation. The films were tightly scripted, and filmed accordingly. Shemp would often finish a scene with a hilarious ad lib, and sometimes it would stay in, but frequently it was not used.

My work with Jules White's files over the past 10 years confirms Bernds' statements. From the scores of scripts I've gone through, I'm being generous to say that 95% of what's onscreen, was in the script... and that's inclusive of slaps, pokes and "nyuks." The Adler and Bruckman scripts were more detailed; the Ullman scripts not as tight on "bits of business," but still specific.

Offline metaldams

I'd imagine from STAGE experience, the boys would still be great on an ad-lib show.  Just a hunch.

I've heard Jules White's directing style was very.....directorial, shall we say.  Supposedly, he'd tell actors how to act to the point where he'd act out the parts for them.  I wonder if he, ever, for example, acted out a nyuk or woo woo for Curly (or told Harry Langdon how to blink)?  Food for thought.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I've heard Jules White's directing style was very.....directorial, shall we say.  Supposedly, he'd tell actors how to act to the point where he'd act out the parts for them. I wonder if he, ever, for example, acted out a nyuk or woo woo for Curly?

He did that to Shemp. Bernds mentioned to me that White pushed Shemp to imitate Curly, and confirmed the ironing board sequence in SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS as one example.

White's "directorial" style became a source of friction with Moe and Shemp. I don't think it affected the working relationship, but the impression is that over time, Moe did not particularly care for White. Moe was a big promoter of Bernds, Lord and Chase, all who let the Stooges comfortably interpret the scripts, with minimal rehearsal. The increasing, lost spontaneity in White's 1940/1950s films reflects who was right, and who was wrong.

To Moe's credit, he declined to name White while criticizing [for different reasons] "a director" in his autobiography.

Offline metaldams

He did that to Shemp. Bernds mentioned to me that White pushed Shemp to imitate Curly, and confirmed the ironing board sequence in SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS as one example.

White's "directorial" style became a source of friction with Moe and Shemp. I don't think it affected the working relationship, but the impression is that over time, Moe did not particularly care for White. Moe was a big promoter of Bernds, Lord and Chase, all who let the Stooges comfortably interpret the scripts, with minimal rehearsal. The increasing, lost spontaneity in White's 1940/1950s films reflects who was right, and who was wrong.

To Moe's credit, he declined to name White while criticizing [for different reasons] "a director" in his autobiography.

You know, looking over the acting styles of the boys in a White film as opposed to a Lord or Bernds film may be an interesting thing to pay attention to next time I go on a Stooge binge.  Perhaps I'll write about it if I have any interesting observations.  I'm a bit surprised White's directing style as opposed to the others hasn't been mentioned more on this board over the years.

As for that other thing, it's not until now I've heard White's name mentioned.  I always figured, but wasn't 100% sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

I'd imagine from STAGE experience, the boys would still be great on an ad-lib show.  Just a hunch.

I agree. I understand there was lots of on stage and vaudeville type experience, especially very early or later on in their careers. It's difficult to imagine that would have been so tightly scripted. Too bad we don't have the privelege of being able to watch much of that act, like we do their films.   

Offline mankey8284

I love Whose Line, if the stooges were on that show, it would of been the biggest show on tv.
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly