Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Looking for rare early movies

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Ever since Sony began releasing the Three Stooges Collection DVDs, I've been trying to get a full (ish) filmography of the Stooges.  Nothing really extensive, just shorts, movies, and a few TV shows.

What I still need are the following films:  Turn Back the Clock (1933) and Fugitive Lovers (1934)

I also wish to obtain a complete set of the New Three Stooges television series.  Every cartoon and live action bumper.  I have a few, but am too lazy to play hide and seek with every release of this show to find the rest.  I know, some obsessive fanboy I turned out to be.

There's also the short Hello Pop!  But I doubt any of you have it, so I don't expect much from this wish.

For those who wish to trade Stooge footage for Stooge footage, I have obtained the following films that are not commercially available:  Myrt and Marge (1933), Hollywood Party (1934), The Captain Hates the Sea (1934), and Start Cheering (1938).

I also have just found a copy of Rockin' in the Rockies on the web.  I don't have it yet, but can give info as to where I obtained it for those interested.  I also have a copy of the Mel Gibson produced Three Stooges TV movie taped first run off of ABC 10 years ago.  The quality is a little faded, and it includes commercials, but it's very watchable.

Thanks in advance to anybody interested.

Offline Final Shemp

• Applehead
Update:  A friend of mine on another message board managed to obtain the films I was looking for.  So, scratch the movies off the list.

I'd still appreciate an opportunity at obtaining the New Three Stooges television series in it's entirety though, if anybody can point me in the right direction.

chad2411

Update:  A friend of mine on another message board managed to obtain the films I was looking for.  So, scratch the movies off the list.

I'd still appreciate an opportunity at obtaining the New Three Stooges television series in it's entirety though, if anybody can point me in the right direction.
These are very rare Turn Back the Clock (1933) and Fugitive Lovers (1934), and Hello Pop! is not known to exist.  Do you indeed have these?
 ???

ThumpTheShoes

I have a video copy of the final 2 minutes of Hello Pop!, which is all that is left of that picture, I think.

I have complete copies of Turn Back the Clock and Fugitive Lovers, which are pretty common-- though the copy of Turn Back the Clock that usually circulates is little more than a fair-quality telecine job.

4/1/10

[pie]
...And some of this post is actually true!
These are very rare Turn Back the Clock (1933) and Fugitive Lovers (1934), and Hello Pop! is not known to exist.  Do you indeed have these?
 ???

Offline metaldams

I have a video copy of the final 2 minutes of Hello Pop!, which is all that is left of that picture, I think.

Describe this footage.  As far as I know, the entire film's lost.  It's gotta be something else.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Describe this footage.  As far as I know, the entire film's lost.  It's gotta be something else.

Barnum was right.

Offline metaldams

Barnum was right.

Not the minute I was born, buddy.

...And some of this post is actually true!

Well, maybe for 5 seconds of it.  Geez, I didn't even see this part of the post.  Doh!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

THAT WAS GREAT!!!!

Ya got me, too!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

chad2411

hahaha, hehehe, grgrgr, harharhar, lololol, dohhdohhdohh. Happy F'n April fools day.   Great!

Offline Final Shemp

• Applehead
 ???

I do not have Hello Pop.  I guess I should have phrased that better.  When I said "films," I meant "feature films."

Yes I did actually obtain Turn Back the Clock and Fugitive Lovers.  Hello Pop is still a dream.

Offline Rich Finegan

It IS possible to have a copy of the final two minutes of HELLO POP! (1933). I got a copy on video back in the mid-1980's. How is this possible?
The final two minutes or so of HELLO POP! actually consists of a Technicolor musical number taken from a 1929 MGM musical feature. So if one has that, then in a way you have the finale of the lost MGM Ted Healy & His Stooges short.

The musical feature the number is from is entitled IT'S A GREAT LIFE starring The Duncan Sisters and Lawrence Gray, and although certainly not as rare as HELLO POP! it was a very hard film to find for many years. It's a black & white movie with three Technicolor sequences: a fashion show and the production numbers "The Hoosier Hop" and "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam", the latter being the one reused four years later in HELLO POP! In the early days of its availability to TV evidently the only print of IT'S A GREAT LIFE available was missing the color parts, so the whole thing ran less than an hour (that's about 30 minutes missing!). But a complete print was eventually found (which is what I got a copy of back in the 1980's). Unfortunately the print looked like it was decomposing before my eyes, and the soundtrack sounded like it was recorded with a tornado in the room!
In the late 1990's when Turner Classic Movies finally ran it, naturally I was hoping and expecting to finally see a complete restored version, looking and sounding as good as all the other MGM films on TCM. And sure enough it looked and sounded great...EXCEPT it was missing the final color number! And that was the one used in HELLO POP! Then a few years later that number was found, but instead of inserting it back into the feature where it belonged, for some reason TCM would run it separately, occasionally as a "filler" between movies. And to make matters worse, in addition to us viewers never knowing when it would be shown, they ran it with absolutely no opening title or identification to tell us what it was, who was in it, or that it was part of a feature movie that they sometimes showed without this number included. It would just come on and most viewers were probably wondering what the heck they were seeing!

But there's a happy ending (no, they haven't found HELLO POP! yet). The complete movie IT'S A GREAT LIFE is now available through Warner Archives. Yes...complete. They have finally inserted the "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam" number back into the movie, and in its correct place.

The number was edited slightly when it was used in HELLO POP! Deleted was a brief part in which The Duncan Sisters sang a few lines of the song "There's a Rainbow Round My Shoulder" and the movie's theme song "I'm Following You". Added was a brief scene wrapping up the story with Ted Healy, Bonnie Bonnell, and The Stooges.

The complete production number "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam" can be seen on YouTube here:

And you can hear Lawrence Gray's 1929 Brunswick 78 record of the song here:

&feature=related

So we can see at least a brief part of HELLO POP! even if it contains no shots of Ted & His Stooges.

Offline afcomser

Would you help me find or sell me a copy of Myrt and Marge (1933), Hollywood Party (1934), The Captain Hates the Sea (1934), and Start Cheering (1938). I don't think I have anything to trade, that you don't already have.
Please let me know.
E-mail afcomser@comcast.net
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline afcomser

I would also like Turn Back the Clock (1933) and Fugitive Lovers (1934), if you have a copy.
Thank You For Your Help
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Would you help me find... a copy of... Hollywood Party (1934), The Captain Hates the Sea (1934)

HOLLYWOOD PARTY (1934) was released on VHS in 1993. Used copies can easily/affordably be found at Amazon and other online sites.

THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934) is scheduled on Turner Classic Movies, August 25, 2010 @ 4AM Eastern.