Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges and The Baseball Hall of Fame

Offline metaldams

I finally got around to going to the Baseball Hall of Fame this past weekend.  What an awesome experience, so much history, and I saw Schilling's bloody sock from game 2!  I want to go again, as I feel there's so much I couldn't catch it all in one visit.

That said, I actually came across a few Stooge connections.  I know some of you guys may be interested in such things, so here are my observations.

- When you walk in, they show an introductory movie.  There is one real fast montage section, and I swear to you I saw Curly.  He was sitting in the dugout and a ball hit him on the head.  I'm pretty sure it was Curly, but it went by so fast, I'm not 100% sure.  I wanted to yell to the guy who was showing it to rewind the thing, but that's probably not the most socially acceptable thing to do.  If I indeed saw Curly (and I'm pretty sure it was), it must've been from SCREEN SNAPSHOTS, SERIES 14, NO. 6 (1935), since I've never actually seen that and it does have a baseball theme from synopses I've read.  Does Curly getting hit in the head with a baseball while sitting in the dugout sound familiar to anyone?

- There's a section called "Baseball at the Movies."  My main interest was to see if they had any displays for Harold Lloyd's SPEEDY since I'm a Lloyd fan and he did get Babe Ruth to appear in it.  Unless if I missed it, no luck, but there is a plaque that lists 150 baseball movies.  SPEEDY is listed on this as is DIZZY AND DAFFY (1935) (a Vitaphone short that has real players in addition to Shemp) as well as MR. NOISY, a 1946 baseball themed Shemp Howard solo Columbia short.

Just thought I'd throw this stuff out there.  On the same street,  if you go to the resturant T.J.'s, they have a real cool Laurel and Hardy statue and of course, there's a TV screen in the hall constantly playing Bud and Lou's "Who's On First" routine. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
If I indeed saw Curly (and I'm pretty sure it was), it must've been from SCREEN SNAPSHOTS, SERIES 14, NO. 6 (1935), since I've never actually seen that and it does have a baseball theme from synopses I've read.  Does Curly getting hit in the head with a baseball while sitting in the dugout sound familiar to anyone?

The baseball sequence with the Stooges is from an as-yet-unidentified SCREEN SNAPSHOTS entry, circa 1945. *

The short you mention is misidentified in The Three Stooges Scrapbook's filmography. Click on this link for a summary of SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 14 # 6.

The celebrity baseball game sequence is also featured in Ken Murray's 1965 compilation HOLLYWOOD, MY HOME TOWN, shown on TCM once or twice per year.

* 1945 is an educated guess, since the baseball game features Burt Lancaster as one of the celebrity stars; Lancaster did not make his first film until 1944. It's unlikely to be 1946, because Curly was incapacitated/retired in the summer of 1946; possibly spring 1946, but Curly seems relatively lively, so I don't think so.

Offline metaldams

The baseball sequence with the Stooges is from an as-yet-unidentified SCREEN SNAPSHOTS entry, circa 1945. *

The short you mention is misidentified in The Three Stooges Scrapbook's filmography. Click on this link for a summary of SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 14 # 6.

The celebrity baseball game sequence is also featured in Ken Murray's 1965 compilation HOLLYWOOD, MY HOME TOWN, shown on TCM once or twice per year.

* 1945 is an educated guess, since the baseball game features Burt Lancaster as one of the celebrity stars; Lancaster did not make his first film until 1944. It's unlikely to be 1946, because Curly was incapacitated/retired in the summer of 1946; possibly spring 1946, but Curly seems relatively lively, so I don't think so.

Yes, that's most definitely it based on the picture in the link you gave me.  Thanks Brent.  The picture went by so fast I didn't even notice Moe and Larry.
- Doug Sarnecky