Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Super Bowl XXXIX

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was going to set up a poll, but I've seen a couple of polls and people seem to be confused about the question of who they THINK will win the Super Bowl. Many of the people who picked the Eagles said they did so because they hate the Patriots (nobody like a dynasty). In essence they are answering the question of who they WANT to win the Super Bowl. So to avoid confusion I will ask both questions:

Who do you think win the Super Bowl? Who do you want to win?

My answer is Patriots on both accounts. We took the #1 offense in the NFL (Colts) and held them to 3 points. We then took the #1 defense in the NFL (Steelers) and scored 41 points on them. I couldn't find a good reason to pick Philly to win even if I wanted to.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
I also say the Pats for both.  Although the Eagles may not have Terrell Owens, that's not the only reason.  The Pats have way better teamwork than any other team and that's what got them this far.  I figure this game won't be all that close either.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Pilsner Panther

The Pats will take it by about five points... and letting Terrell Owens go sure didn't do the Niners much good.

But then, what have the Niners done right lately?

As to who I want to win, I really don't have much interest in a game that doesn't have a West Coast team in it. It's too much of a local rivalry, a neighborhood rumble, if you ask me—

(Walks away, shaking head)

[no]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 05:37:01 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Don't know.  Don't care.   [shrug]

Personally, I'm not a "sports" guy at all; at least, I'm just not interested enough to bother keeping track of the stats.  I didn't even know who was in the Super Bowl this year, until I saw your post.

Back in the day, when I was a Purchasing Agent down in the metro Detroit area, I used to get a lot of free tickets to games (largely the Tigers, but also for the Lions, Pistons and Red Wings), and I have to admit that I always enjoyed myself, but not enough to bother buying tickets myself or watching them on TV.

But, that being said, I'll root for the Patriots both for Jim's sake and because once upon a time I lived in New England (Connecticut, 1960-1965.)  I lived for a short time in Philly, too, but that's a whole 'nother story!  ;D

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If the game doesn't suck, unlike the majority of this playoff season, I don't care who wins, but I expect the Pats to take it & likely cover the spread.

[insert football tossing smiley]

:P

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Pilsner Panther

Don't know.  Don't care.   [shrug]

Personally, I'm not a "sports" guy at all; at least, I'm just not interested enough to bother keeping track of the stats.  I didn't even know who was in the Super Bowl this year, until I saw your post.

Back in the day, when I was a Purchasing Agent down in the metro Detroit area, I used to get a lot of free tickets to games (largely the Tigers, but also for the Lions, Pistons and Red Wings), and I have to admit that I always enjoyed myself, but not enough to bother buying tickets myself or watching them on TV.

But, that being said, I'll root for the Patriots both for Jim's sake and because once upon a time I lived in New England (Connecticut, 1960-1965.)  I lived for a short time in Philly, too, but that's a whole 'nother story!  ;D

I'm not a huge sports fan, either, not to the point of keeping track of statistics or having season tickets or anything like that. But there's nothing quite like a good game of baseball on a warm spring day, especially when you've got a beautiful ballpark like ours.

Football I'm not as big on, maybe because it's a winter sport and I don't like cold weather (why do you think I live in California?). Still, back in the 80's and 90's when the Niners were a mean, lean, fightin' machine and not the worst team in the NFL like they are now, I got caught up in the excitement like everybody else... it was impossible not to!

Offline Baggie

I wish I could have a say on the game but I don't follow American football, just English football. I've just got back from Amsterdam and on Sunday night there was an American football game on in a Bar and it was packed with Americans. I think it was Atlanta versus Philly. I take it this was a game to get into the final and Philly won.
 I shouldn't have a say at all, but I'll go with New England Patriots for the sake of it.

;D
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There is no such thing as "English Football". What the rest of the world calls "football", is in reality SOCCER, one of the most boring sports ever. The rest of the world is out of their collective minds for liking soccer so much: the only thing I can equate it to is how most Red Sox fans feel about the World Champs (me included).

So in closing, the rest of the world is wrong, the US and Canada are right (for a change). Football is an American invention, while soccer is that shitty sport that the rest of you kill each other over.

[soapbox]

p.s.: neener neener :P
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

The mention of soccer makes me think of rugby, which is a related sport but a lot rougher. I might as well tell my rugby story here, some of you might find it amusing.

A few years back, I was managing a small hotel in downtown San Francisco. A quiet little place with only 120 rooms, and most of the guests were either traveling businesspeople or middle-aged tourists.

Somehow, though, we got a booking for a block of rooms for a rugby team from Argentina, and they turned out to be the crudest bunch of complete jerk-offs that I've ever seen in my life! They were from some rural part of Argentina, and they were sort of the South American equivalent of the most backward Appalachian hillbillies, that's the best way I can describe them.

So, for a week it was utterly insane, total bedlam in that place, because these characters were genuinely uncivilized. They were harrassing the younger female guests, making obscene gestures at them and so on, and one day I saw one of them taking a leak into a potted plant in the hallway as I was getting out of the elevator.

I wanted to kick them all out, but upper management wouldn't let me. "You can't throw them out unless they commit an actual crime." Believe it or not, that was the answer I got from my cementhead boss. Of course, he was thinking only in terms of revenue, but the hotel ended up with a net loss by not 86'ing them (the punch line comes at the end).

We had some international flags on the outside of the building, two floors off the ground, just for decoration. One day I was walking up to the place and I noticed that about half the flags were missing... these guys had been stealing them, which you couldn't do without leaning out a window so far that you'd have to have someone hold you by the ankles so you wouldn't fall out!

But here's the capper: I'm working late at night and one of these dimwits walks into the lobby with a live chicken under his arm. At this point, I've had it, so I step out from behind the front desk and tell him, "Hey! This is a hotel! You can't bring livestock in here!" Of course, he didn't understand a word I was saying, because only two of these dozen or so morons spoke even a little English, and I speak basically no Spanish. He got the message, though, from my tone of voice, and he turned around and left.

I found out that he'd sneaked the chicken back in after I left, though; a Spanish-speaking janitor told me. So I asked him, "What the hell were they doing with a live chicken in their room?"

He said, "They told me that they sacrifice a chicken before every game, for good luck."

That's absolutely true, every bit of it... oh, and they did $3,000 worth of damage to the rooms.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, Judgie-Wudgie!"

Amen to that, and I'm not ever going to any rugby games, that's for sure!

[yikes]

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 11:45:34 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Somehow I picture Pils in his best Franklin Pangborn striped morning coat, fussing at the Argentinians: "Please, please, is this any way to enter a respectable hotel? I suggest you take that....livestock....off the premises at once, you uncouth persons!"

And then retreating to his office for a cup of tea while listening to the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

(However, having seen a photo of Pilsner, if he had those dark glasses on and that CIA operative expression, I'd think twice about bringing poultry into the establishment)
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Pilsner Panther

No, I'm not a Franklin Pangborn-type fussbudget hotel manager, Bruck, but that whole thing was right out of a W.C. Fields flick... one of the crazier ones, like "The Fatal Glass Of Beer" or "Never Give A Sucker An Even Break."

And when I put those aviator shades on, either it's a really sunny day out, or I mean business.

You'd better hope it's a sunny day...

>:D

Offline Baggie

I'm sorry, but in no way whatsoever can you connect 'soccer' to rugby. I find that rugby and American football have more connections than rugby and 'soccer.' Big men throw and kick a funny shaped ball to get it over a line or between some posts. (Excuse the simplicity).
 Everyone has their own opinions, I suppose it's just a cultural thing. Football (excuse me, 'soccer') is the most popular sport over here, and American football is little known.
 Is the outcome of the Super Bowl as predictable as our soccer F.A cup and Premiership? It's an unwritten rule that either Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal will win these competitions over here, and it gets pretty boring and unpredictable. However the lower leagues are much more fun. I support Sheffield Wednesday FC who are currently fourth in League 1.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I'm sorry, but in no way whatsoever can you connect 'soccer' to rugby. I find that rugby and American football have more connections than rugby and 'soccer.' Big men throw and kick a funny shaped ball to get it over a line or between some posts. (Excuse the simplicity).

I think Pils simply meant that the mention of soccer reminded him of his rugby story, not that the two sports were "connected" somehow.

Is the outcome of the Super Bowl as predictable as our soccer F.A cup and Premiership? It's an unwritten rule that either Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal will win these competitions over here, and it gets pretty boring and unpredictable. However the lower leagues are much more fun. I support Sheffield Wednesday FC who are currently fourth in League 1.

???  Why do I feel like I just read the lines to a Monty Python routine?    ;D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have absolutely no fuckin' clue as to what you are talking about, lol.

Soccer is not even a second tier sport here. Most people here can give a shit less about it; and since like-it-or-not the US is the #1 money-maker, it makes soccer irrelevant.

They actually tried to turn people onto soccer in the 70's with Pele; and it was being touted as being as big, if not bigger than football and baseball. Needless to say it didn't quite work out that way. We have pro soccer leagues, but the only thing most people might know is that there is a 15 year kid playing on one of the teams.

Offline Bruckman

• Birdbrain

???  Why do I feel like I just read the lines to a Monty Python routine?    ;D

Why do I feel like I'm reading the sequel to TRAINSPOTTING by Irvine Welsh? "Gi tae f#%& ya daft punter, Begbie, tha c&^t needs a bit a f*^&$@# skeg!"

BTW in answer to the ostensible theme of this thread: the Patriots are gonna win it. (A) because of Belichik, (B) because their defense is solid enough to overcome anyone's secondary.

As for soccer, all I know is Manchester United has a pretty strong team.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Why do I feel like I'm reading the sequel to TRAINSPOTTING by Irvine Welsh? "Gi tae f#%& ya daft punter, Begbie, tha c&^t needs a bit a f*^&$@# skeg!"
[twitch]  You guys can come up with some of the strangest references!   [faint2]

I had to Googe that to figure out what the heck you were refering to.  But that's what I love about the internet; you can learn about the damnedest things.   ;D

Offline Bruckman

• Birdbrain
We're nothing if not diversely read!

I could've spared you the Google search and told you Welsh is a post-punk Scottish writer. Trainspotting is his best known work (at least on this side of the Atlantic) though I admired the three novellas comprising Ecstasy as well (although the first one in the book puts me off. The second story in the book, however, is masterful).

The language in his books, however, is another story. Pretty raw. After reading Trainspotting I was going around for days using the words "cunt" and "fucker" far more liberally than otherwise (I don't know what the censoring software will do to these words btw).

Welsh enjoyed too much success too quickly after Trainspotting and seems to have written himself out for the moment, rather like Chuck Pahlaniuk after fight Club became a success following the movie version.

Offline Bruckman

• Birdbrain
I'll be doggoned, the expletives are wholly intact! Maybe because I put them in quotes.

Someone may want to bowdlerize them in the interest of protecting the innocent.  >:D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ain't no fuckin' swear rules here man! Well, don't curse any other word or anything.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
For the final word on this subject, I present to you this link:

soccersucks.org

Pilsner Panther

For the final word on this subject, I present to you this link:

soccersucks.org

The final word? Now James, I still insist that rugby is worse. There's no mention of chicken sacrifice anywhere in this article.

Of course, in baseball you've got the sacrifice fly (a very small Guillotine is employed for the purpose).

[faint2]

The last word on chickens goes to Colonel Harland F. Sanders... who else?

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 12:10:27 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Baggie

OK, but most of the points made out on this site are stupid. A couple of examples:-

One argument says soccer isn't popular in the US because they never win at it, even though they won the World Cup in 1991 and 1999.  ??? Now correct me if I'm wrong but there wasn't even a World Cup held in 91' or 99,' and the US soccer team are shite, so they wouldn't win the World Cup anyhow.

Another point says something like "soccer has no honour. In baseball, hockey and basketball, players and fans abide by certain codes of behaviour." Hmm, yeh like when all those ice hockey players start fighting and swinging at each other with those big sticks. (Not to forget that basketball match brawl you reported on Jim.)

I get the point, most of you, if not ALL of you, hate soccer, but that site is a load of crap.

I like soccer/football/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, so there you have it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Women's World Cup was held in '91 and '99, won by the US. Those are the WC's he's talking about. It took some digging into that site, but I found it.

The US soccer team (male version) might be shit, but we don't care. The women's team is apparently good, and we still don't care.

At least in those other sports no one nibbles on their teammates' penis.

BTW Baggie: I am absolutely not trying to pick on you. It's just that I'd love an intelligent debate about soccer, and most soccer fans automatically get offended when you say anything disparaging about the sport and resort to "fuck you Yank, you suck" then go on to question your intelligence.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 09:44:10 PM by shemps#1 »

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_459848.html?menu=sport.sportingquirkies

Player celebrates goal by nibbling scorer's penis

Midfielder Francisco Gallardo has been charged by the Spanish soccer federation for an unusual goal celebration.

Gallardo bit Sevilla team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes' penis after he had scored in the 4-0 win over Valladolid.

Reyes was besieged by team-mates after scoring and Gallardo was seen to bend down and nibble at the goalscorer's genitalia.

He could face a fine or suspension for his actions, which may deemed to be an infringement of what is described in the federation's rule book as "sporting dignity and decorum".

"I felt a bit of a pinch but I didn't realise what Gallardo had done until I saw the video.

''The worst thing about it is the teasing I'm going to get from my teammates," Reyes said.

http://english.pravda.ru/fun/2002/02/02/26189.html

Scoring a goal and kissing beneath the waist

What a controversy it was in Spain, when one of the soccer players of Sevilla club Francisco Gallardo bit his team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes-s penis, rejoicing at the scored goal! The soccer-player was accused of sadism, unhealthy tendencies, of the baneful influence on the youth. The local federation of soccer even fined the biting player.

A soccer player of the Ukrainian team Dinamo (Kiev) thanked his team-mate the same way the other day. The most curious moment of the match took place in the eyes of the thousands of fans during the game of Itera Champion of the Commonwealth Cup-2002 with the Lithuanian team Kaunas. What happened next? Nothing, everybody was happy. The hot-blooded Spanish guy had more patience, than the Ukrainian one: he took the aim (penis) only after the fourth goal, whereas the Ukrainian ran out of control after the second goal.

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/Womens_World_Cup_History.htm

World Cup Summary
Year    Champion    Runner-Up    3rd Place
2003    Germany    Sweden      United States
1999    United States  China              Brazil
1995    Norway            Germany     United States
1991    United States  Norway            Sweden

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Another couple of notes:

It's a basketball game, not a "match".

Most of the English-speaking world uses the term "soccer" as opposed to "football". (US, Canada, Australia, and Bermuda; roughly 4 times as many English speakers use "soccer" than use "football").