Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Would the Boys enjoy this site?

· 22 · 4385

chad2411

Just a thought, would the stooges enjoy this site?

Mo - It has too much politics and not enough of us.

Larry - Would it be possible? (After a slap from Mo) nevermind.

Curly -  Swinging, hey wait what the hell is a website.

Shemp - Am I mortified, Wheres all the Dames.

Joe Besser - I don't care, I just don't like being slapped.

Joe Derita - (Crap I never watched him, so I don't know what he'd say)

Del Lord - How can I make some money off of this site.

And you thought this would be a serious thread, LOL.  I'm half snookered right now.

Offline metaldams

They would think this board has gone downhill and we need the SLIPP wars again to make things interesting.   [pie]

Who knows, really.  There have been several different personalities on this board over the years, and I'm sure they'd agree their fans, despite the stereotypes, can be quite a diverse bunch.  Whether they'd enjoy my sarcastic ramblings or postings of of old crazy wrestlers on youtube, I dunno, but I'd buy 'em a beer just the same, and that includes all six of them.
- Doug Sarnecky

chad2411

They would think this board has gone downhill and we need the SLIPP wars again to make things interesting.   [pie]

Who knows, really.  There have been several different personalities on this board over the years, and I'm sure they'd agree their fans, despite the stereotypes, can be quite a diverse bunch.  Whether they'd enjoy my sarcastic ramblings or postings of of old crazy wrestlers on youtube, I dunno, but I'd buy 'em a beer just the same, and that includes all six of them.

I've been around here for less than 2 years and it hasn't changed much.  There are definitely many personalities and a few of them many personalities alone.  Yep, Bring back the SLIPP wars since I don't know what they are, LOL. And as for Derita, I need to watch a few of his so I can give him props too.

Offline metaldams

I've been around here for less than 2 years and it hasn't changed much.  There are definitely many personalities and a few of them many personalities alone.  Yep, Bring back the SLIPP wars since I don't know what they are, LOL. And as for Derita, I need to watch a few of his so I can give him props too.

No, DON'T bring back the SLIPP wars.  Me in my early 20's could handle such nonsense. Me in my early 30's would be thankful I'm a moderator and ban the guy before any of this stuff could happen.  My troll arguing days are long over.  There's a whole section on this site dedicated to the SLIPP wars, it's quite surreal.

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?board=27.0
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Just a thought, would the stooges enjoy this site?

I have no doubt that Moe and Larry would enjoy this site.  They probably wouldn't pay attention to all the details, but would be enamored by the concept of this site and the inclusion of all the details.  My guess is that they'd take great pride in this effort and the many responses from fans.  Who knows, they might even track the day-to-day comments.  Regardless, they'd definitely appreciate this site and spread the word.  I say this based on personal conversations with them where they spoke affectionately about much more trivial efforts to keep their names alive.  Too bad they aren't here to lay glory to this site!   

Offline metaldams

I say this based on personal conversations with them where they spoke affectionately about much more trivial efforts to keep their names alive. 

Personal conversations?  Please tell us more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

In the Stoogeum Theatre, at the annual Fan Club Meetings, Scott does a wonderful audio-visual presentation about meeting Moe in NJ, and travelling to L.A. to visit Larry and the two Joes.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Like Brent mentioned, I was lucky enough to get together with Moe, Larry, Joe B, and Joe D.  I also maintained a correspondence with the first three (and also Emil Sitka), via letters and occasional telephone calls.  With rare exception, these guys always welcomed hearing from fans and meeting them face to face.  And Larry and Moe were both clearly very appreciative of any media coverage, even something as pedestrian as a short article I wrote for my high school newspaper in 1973.  These guys went on and on about my article, asking for multiple copies for their files and for distribution to special fans.  Can you believe that?  I can't and yet I witnessed it firsthand.

A summary of my experiences is published in Stooges Among Us, starting on page 111.  It's the chapter called "Searching Out the Stooges."  Although I don't recount details of my conversations and correspondence in that chapter, I can tell you that both Moe and Larry were ecstatic to be remembered as Stooges and willingly spoke at length about their days as Stooges and their plans to be Stooges again.  Despite Larry's paralysis and slurred speech due to his stroke, he stated that re-joining the Stooges for a future cameo role was a distinct possibility.  And as we all know, Moe was still playing his Stooge role at the time of his death (e.g. Jet Set/Blazing Stewardesses). 

So in my mind, there's no doubt that the boys would be pleased and appreciative of this site.  In fact, if they were still around, I bet they'd be sending links for this site to all of their fans -- and asking them what they thought about it.  Just a guess, but one I feel has good odds.

Thanks for the plug, Brent!

chad2411

I have no doubt that Moe and Larry would enjoy this site.  They probably wouldn't pay attention to all the details, but would be enamored by the concept of this site and the inclusion of all the details.  My guess is that they'd take great pride in this effort and the many responses from fans.  Who knows, they might even track the day-to-day comments.  Regardless, they'd definitely appreciate this site and spread the word.  I say this based on personal conversations with them where they spoke affectionately about much more trivial efforts to keep their names alive.  Too bad they aren't here to lay glory to this site!   

True, they would have to be flattered.  I give them all mad props as they were comedy geniuses of their time.

chad2411

Like Brent mentioned, I was lucky enough to get together with Moe, Larry, Joe B, and Joe D.  I also maintained a correspondence with the first three (and also Emil Sitka), via letters and occasional telephone calls.  With rare exception, these guys always welcomed hearing from fans and meeting them face to face.  And Larry and Moe were both clearly very appreciative of any media coverage, even something as pedestrian as a short article I wrote for my high school newspaper in 1973.  These guys went on and on about my article, asking for multiple copies for their files and for distribution to special fans.  Can you believe that?  I can't and yet I witnessed it firsthand.

A summary of my experiences is published in Stooges Among Us, starting on page 111.  It's the chapter called "Searching Out the Stooges."  Although I don't recount details of my conversations and correspondence in that chapter, I can tell you that both Moe and Larry were ecstatic to be remembered as Stooges and willingly spoke at length about their days as Stooges and their plans to be Stooges again.  Despite Larry's paralysis and slurred speech due to his stroke, he stated that re-joining the Stooges for a future cameo role was a distinct possibility.  And as we all know, Moe was still playing his Stooge role at the time of his death (e.g. Jet Set/Blazing Stewardesses). 

So in my mind, there's no doubt that the boys would be pleased and appreciative of this site.  In fact, if they were still around, I bet they'd be sending links for this site to all of their fans -- and asking them what they thought about it.  Just a guess, but one I feel has good odds.

You last paragraph summed up what I was thinking.  They sound very appreciative of any attention whatsoever, unlike some of our celebs today.  Thank you for telling us the story.  I love it!!

Offline metaldams

Wow, you're a lucky man.  What amazes me about Moe is the very fact he went on 'til the end performing.  It's not like the guy had a sudden heart attack or anything, he had lung cancer, yet he still had film projects in mind 'til the end.  What a trooper.
- Doug Sarnecky

chad2411

Wow, you're a lucky man.  What amazes me about Moe is the very fact he went on 'til the end performing.  It's not like the guy had a sudden heart attack or anything, he had lung cancer, yet he still had film projects in mind 'til the end.  What a trooper.

Especially with all the death and disease that he had seen with his troop.  He was a true performer.

Offline 7stooges

So what do you recall about what the two Joes were like? Did Joe B. say to you that he really left the act because of his wife? That was something that always puzzled me.

Offline hiramhorwitz

So what do you recall about what the two Joes were like? Did Joe B. say to you that he really left the act because of his wife? That was something that always puzzled me.

I visited each of the Joes twice -- in 1974 and 1978.  Joe Besser was gracious, open, and delighted to be remembered by fans.  He spoke highly of Moe and Larry, and was glad to be part of their act, but wanted to be remembered for his other roles, too.  Besser seemed most proud of his work with Abbott and Costello (he raved about what a pal Costello was), Olsen and Johnson, Jack Benny, and Milton Berle.  He gave me the stock answer that he left the Stooges when his wife was sick -- and I didn't ask for the details.  Obviously Besser may have left the Stooges because he wanted to do something different and didn't see their late 50s act as being very successful.  But clearly Besser's the one who originated the "sick wife" explanation.   

Joe DeRita was a decent guy, too.  However, he didn't appear to place the same value on fans as Moe, Larry, and Besser did.  Not that DeRita disliked his fans -- he just didn't place them on a pedestal.  The first time I showed up at his house, I woke him from a nap, and he was appropriately irritated.  He didn't put on any airs -- he just came to the door in his boxer shorts (no shirt or footwear, just boxer shorts) and gruffly told me I had woken him up.  Believe me, being inches away from a gruff, sparsely clothed guy with DeRita's proportions left an impression.

The second time I visited DeRita, I arrived later and experienced an entirely side of him -- much more congenial, personable, and willing to spend an extended period of time answering questions and talking about his career.  It's no secret DeRita couldn't understand why anyone found the Stooges brand of comedy funny.  But he didn't hesitate to say that he enjoyed working with Moe and Larry, and he liked the stability of the Stooges job.  And he clearly liked cracking jokes and getting laughs.  All in all, a very gregarious guy.  As you can imagine, I'm thankful I made the second visit and got to see the "lighter" side of him.                 

Offline FineBari3

I didn't realize that was you, Scott!  [wave]

I love hearing your stories, and I hope you thank God every day that DeRita had a towel on!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Same here. Hi Scott!  [welcome]

I've read your Stooge stories in "Stooge Among Us" and immeditely enjoyed it. I think I've read it four or five times now (I bought the book in Nov. 2009), and enjoy your "article" more than the others (I like yours too, Gary L.!  [stooges] ).

FineBari3 said:

"I love hearing your stories, and I hope you thank God every day that DeRita had a towel on!"

Oh, brother! [faint2]

Offline hiramhorwitz

Same here. Hi Scott!  [welcome]

I've read your Stooge stories in "Stooge Among Us" and immeditely enjoyed it. I think I've read it four or five times now (I bought the book in Nov. 2009), and enjoy your "article" more than the others (I like yours too, Gary L.!  [stooges] ).

FineBari3 said:

"I love hearing your stories, and I hope you thank God every day that DeRita had a towel on!"

Oh, brother! [faint2]

Mar-Jean and Sara:

So nice to receive your greetings and kind words -- glad you're an integral part of these message boards!

Cheers from the sunny south,
Scott

Offline 7stooges

I should get a copy of "Stooges Among Us" myself! It sounds like a great book!

Offline Rich Finegan

So nice to receive your greetings and kind words -- glad you're an integral part of these message boards!

Scott
[/quote]

--------------------------------------
Hi Scott:
I was going to say it earlier, but wasn't sure you wanted a fuss made over you, but now that others have said it, HELLO and WELCOME!!

Offline hiramhorwitz

Hi Scott:
I was going to say it earlier, but wasn't sure you wanted a fuss made over you, but now that others have said it, HELLO and WELCOME!!
Richard:

Pardon me sounding like a broken record (does anybody actually still know what a broken record sounds like?) -- but it's awfully nice receiving your greetings, too! 

Do you still have the Horwitz brothers shirt?

Scott

Offline Rich Finegan

Richard:

Pardon me sounding like a broken record (does anybody actually still know what a broken record sounds like?) -- but it's awfully nice receiving your greetings, too! 

Do you still have the Horwitz brothers shirt?

Scott
Hi Scott:
Oh yes...still got the legendary t-shirt, in fact, a few of them, in gray, and in black. I've still never worn some of them. Just recently found a letter I'd saved from the nice Stooges fan who made and sent me the shirts in 1990. Nice guy named Steve Benner. Are you still out there Steve?

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Thanks for your kind words, Scott.

Cheers from the snowy mid-Atlantic.

Sara

Mar-Jean and Sara:

Scott