Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Would you guys consider Jackass to be a modern day Three Stooges?

· 13 · 2801

jka12002

Im also a fan of the Jacka$$ tv show, i used to tell my grandma that they are like a modern extreme version of the Three Stooges. I dont say that anymore but would you guys agree with me?

I dont mind negative comments for this thread.

Offline OldFred

Im also a fan of the Jacka$$ tv show, i used to tell my grandma that they are like a modern extreme version of the Three Stooges. I dont say that anymore but would you guys agree with me?

I dont mind negative comments for this thread.

No. The Stooges stupidity was played for laughs, but there's also an element of friendship and loyalty deep down in which the Stooges watch out for each other. Jacka$$ is just stupidity for the sake of being stupid, and it's very mean-spirited as well.

Offline stooge1029

Most Stooge shorts have some sort of plot which puts them ahead of the Jackasses already. The stooges also did not have to rely on gross out humor or over the top stunts to become popular. Face it, Jackass was just a bunch of fratboy skaters with a camera.

Offline metaldams

The Three Stooges were a comedy team whose members developed in Vaudeville, burlesque, and Broadway.  They spent years of training, developing their timing and personas, just as the other screen comedians of their day did.

The closest thing we have to that training ground for comedians today is stand up comedy and SNL type programsn, and that's not quite the same.  The Jackass guys never even had that. 

True, both had extreme slapstick for their time, and obviosuly the bar has been raised by the time Jackass came along (I don't recall the matchbox car in the rectum gag for The Three Stooges).  The comparisons end there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline RICO987

I don't know. Would Curly put stuff in his rectum for a laugh?

I hope not.

Would you guys consider Jackass to be a modern day Three Stooges?

And I hope not!

Offline Curly4444

No, there's just a bunch of idiots, that try and see how far they can push stuff.

Offline Gritto RhumBoogie

Absolutely not.  The Stooges are timeless and were extremely creative in all of their gags and whatnot.  Jackass is not either of these things.
That will be all, Ralph.

Offline OldFred

As previously mentioned, the Stooges were creative. Jackass and creativity just don't go together.

Offline Rhinosaurus

The Three Stooges comedy was an art, like many of their contemporaries i.e. The Marx Brothers. Like other people have stated these acts developed on vaudeville and their acts were near perfection by the time they were filmed.

It's all opinion but I don't think Jackass is art, the only similarity would probably be violence.Except the Jackasses are dumb enough to do real violence to themselves.  You could probably watch The Three Stooges with your young children, or your grandparents or whatver...Jackass not so much.

Dog Hambone

To me, Jackass is an example of current humor that strives to make us laugh at people injuring, or trying to injure, themselves or others. In, say, 20 years, when a different kind of humor is in vogue, I imagine it won't be very funny at all. In contrast, The Three Stooges are still making us laugh 60 & 70 & 80 years later. I predict Jackass won't fare as well.   

Offline middlenamewayne

If you look at many non-fiction programs or "reality shows", you'll find that there exists a traditional TV counterpart. "The Osbournes" was an attempt at a gross-out version of "I Love Lucy", "Mystery Diagnosis" is the flip side of "House", etc.

With that in mind, i would say that "Jackass" could easily be considered reality TV's answer to the Stooges.

- mnw

Offline mankey8284

I was never a big fan of Jacka$$ The stooges were talented, those guys were dumb lol
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly