Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Some old Stooge-related newspaper stories

Offline Seamus

Those Curly- and Shemp-era clippings were fun reading, even though Moe did most of the talking as usual.  Hearing Curly and Shemp "speak" out of character to the interviewer is probably the closest thing to an interview we'll get with those two men (disappointing that Shemp's contribution amounted to two brief sentences).

chad2411

chad2411

About a year ago, I asked if anyone knew how much the shorts cost to make.  Interestingly enough, no one really knew.  According to your last clip $18,000 to $22,000 in which half are the boys salaries.  I guess we have to take the writers word for it, although Curly ailing from injuries from falling down an elevator shaft.  I personally have never heard that.  Never the less altogether interesting clips.    Thanks for posting..

Offline Benno1979

The one article from the Pittsburgh Press was December 8, 1941.  I find it interesting that in a paper who's main headline was "US Declares War" there is also a story about the Stooges.  According to an ad on the same page of the article about the Stooges, it appears that on Dec 8, 1941 they were appearing in person on stage in Pittsburgh.  I wonder if the show went on, or if it was cancelled?

Offline FineBari3

The one article from the Pittsburgh Press was December 8, 1941.  I find it interesting that in a paper who's main headline was "US Declares War" there is also a story about the Stooges.  According to an ad on the same page of the article about the Stooges, it appears that on Dec 8, 1941 they were appearing in person on stage in Pittsburgh.  I wonder if the show went on, or if it was cancelled?

Gary has been compiling a list of Stooge appearances and could probably answer that very quickly. Maybe send him a PM?

I thought it was pretty cool to see my hometown paper again!  The Press was discontinued around 1993.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Benno1979

I remembered last night that Gary was compiling a list of shows for the Stooges.  I found a couple for him in Toledo that I need to send him the link that he can access online.  Things have just been crazy around here with going back to school and so on ...

Offline garystooge

The Stooges didn't miss or cancel shows. The Dec. 8, 1941 shows went on as planned. The Stooges also performed the day after Kennedy was shot.  In fact, when Larry's wife died, Moe and Curly-Joe did a few shows without him while he returned home.  But getting back to the Dec. 8 thing, so far as I know the only show impacted by the War was the first show on Jan.21, 1944 at the State Theater in Hartford. The Stooges missed the show entirely because their train was delayed for hours to let troop trains pass.

If you have any info about the  Stooges appearing in Toledo (or elsewhere) I'd love to have it...I believe they appeared in Toledo in Aug. 1961 but don't have firm details.
Gary

Offline Larry Fine Fan

If you have any info about the  Stooges appearing in Toledo (or elsewhere) I'd love to have it...I believe they appeared in Toledo in Aug. 1961 but don't have firm details.
Gary
[/quote]

I found an article on newspaperarchive.com from Lima, Ohio, dated July 30, 1960. It says the Stooges were to appear at the Ohio Theatre. I can't look anymore into the article because it's one of the "Members Only" articles.  :P I'm guessing that the Stooges were appearing in Columbus or possibly in Lima. There's an interview article from Lima dated August 6, 1960, which mentions the Stooges were going to Mansfield the next day.

Hope this helps.

Sara

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Here's a pdf file from the August 6, 1960 Lima newspaper interview with the Stooges.

Enjoy!

Sara

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Benno1979

Thanks, Sara!  The Ohio Theatre building is still standing, it was a nightclub (I don't know if it still is or not) the last time I went past it.  It's always a thrill to think that the Stooges appeared in person close to where I live!

By the way, Lima is the hometown of Phyllis Diller.  She attended Bluffton College (now the University of Bluffton) and Hugh Downs was a classmate of hers at college.

btw... This article is a reprint of a feature cover article about the Stooges, that appeared in the Sunday Nov. 15, 1959 issue of Parade Magazine.
I note that this one gives inaccurate information about the cause & timing of Curly's exit from the act, and glosses over the participation of Besser...
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Here's a pdf file from the August 6, 1960 Lima newspaper interview with the Stooges.

Enjoy!

Sara
...and this one pulls the "Kook's Tour" trick of pretending the same 3 Stooges had been around the whole time.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline garystooge

Thanks for posting Sara....here's the ad that appeared for the shows at the Ohio Theater in Lima on Friday 8/5/60
Gary

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Thanks, Gary for the ad. It's funny that they have a photo of Curly when Curly-Joe appeared with the Stooges at the time.

I can see why the kids were confused when they were able to meet the Stooges in the 60s. Curly-Joe just doesn't look like Curly (up close and personal).

Sara

Thanks for posting Sara....here's the ad that appeared for the shows at the Ohio Theater in Lima on Friday 8/5/60
Gary

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Here is a link for two Stooge ads. One is from the Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) dated Oct.ober 6, 1946, and the other is from the Plain Dealer and is dated August 311943, where they'd perform at the RKO Palace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-THREE-STOOGES-1940s-Personal-Appearance-Ads-CURLY_W0QQitemZ160407092081QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255901fb71

Sara

Offline falsealarms

From 1976, an obit for a Kenneth Lackey, touted as an original member of the Three Stooges.

From 1984, more on Lackey.

From 1959, Moe is interviewed

From 1953, Moe on the Stooges being "forgotten stars."

From 1942, Hugh McCollum on comedy

From 1947, a writer  visits the Stooges at Columbia.

From 1960, Curly's ex-wife Valerie sues the Stooges

* Per this PPV LA Times archived article , Moe, Larry and Shemp were scheduled to perform at the Corona Naval Hospital on 5/31/1955

Offline metaldams

Wow, nice articles.  Thanks!  If you look at the 1953 article that talks about the boys being the last old time comedians in town, there's also an ad for a double feature of RED RIVER with Laurel and Hardy's BEAU HUNKS.

More on Lackey?  I wonder what Moe thinks of Beckett and Lester?   [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline mankey8284

It is really cool to see Curly in an interview. I love how him and Larry talk about Moe when he's gone but when he comes back, they suck up to him, lol. Gotta love those boys
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly