Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Music Box 1932

Offline falsealarms

Classic Laurel & Hardy effort. Definite similarities between this and AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE... carrying an object up a extremely long flight of stairs, though the two films didn't use the same staircase.  It's regrettable that L&H have not received better DVD treatment in the US.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/comedy/watch/v17189795Kr6n8XDr

Offline JazzBill

Classic Laurel & Hardy effort. Definite similarities between this and AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE... carrying an object up a extremely long flight of stairs, though the two films didn't use the same staircase.  It's regrettable that L&H have not received better DVD treatment in the US.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/comedy/watch/v17189795Kr6n8XDr

Good stuff, nice find . Pretty good picture quality for something that old. Like you said, you can sure see where the Stooges copied that bit in "An Ache In Every Stake".
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... you can sure see where the Stooges copied that bit in "An Ache In Every Stake".

ACHE's iceman segment was actually adapted from the Sennett comedy ICE COLD COCOS (1926), starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde; Del Lord directed both.

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) adapted L&H's [lost] silent short HATS OFF (1927), where they attempted to deliver a washing machine up the stairs.

Offline locoboymakesgood

ACHE's iceman segment was actually adapted from the Sennett comedy ICE COLD COCOS (1926), starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde; Del Lord directed both.

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) adapted L&H's [lost] silent short HATS OFF (1927), where they attempted to deliver a washing machine up the stairs.
That's their only fully lost film, isn't it? Unless you count the one reel from BATTLE OF THE CENTURY or a full version of THE ROGUE SONG.

Most people that have seen both ACHE and MUSIC BOX thought they were the same stairs but I recall reading they were different locations.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

That's their only fully lost film, isn't it? Unless you count the one reel from BATTLE OF THE CENTURY or a full version of THE ROGUE SONG.

Most people that have seen both ACHE and MUSIC BOX thought they were the same stairs but I recall reading they were different locations.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/locations/30sLocations.shtml

According to that, the two sets of stairs are mere miles apart from each other.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Correct, they are different stairs, as revealed in issue 98 (Summer 2001) of The Three Stooges Journal.

www.seeing-stars.com
According to that...

It's nice that websites like seeing-stars report that information, but it needs to be noted that The Journal was their source.

Offline JazzBill

Thanks Brent. That bit really goes back a long way. It's a good gag, I guess thats why it was used so many times.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

http://www.seeing-stars.com/locations/30sLocations.shtml

According to that, the two sets of stairs are mere miles apart from each other.
Last time I was in LA I tried finding the Music Box stairs but it was Easter Sunday and traffic was even more of a bitch than usual with people all over getting together for family stuff.

That's good to know they're different so I can spot both locations next time I'm down there.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

"The Stairs" and someone's visit to them -

[youtube=425,350]GZitGsc67TE[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

What do people see as the best L&H sound short? Always assumed this was it, but seems like others are well in the mix too... COUNTY HOSPITAL, BUSY BODIES, HELPMATES, TOWED IN A HOLE to name a few...

Offline metaldams

What do people see as the best L&H sound short? Always assumed this was it, but seems like others are well in the mix too... COUNTY HOSPITAL, BUSY BODIES, HELPMATES, TOWED IN A HOLE to name a few...

THE MUSIC BOX is the most famous and one of the best.  COUNTY HOSPITAL starts strong but the obvious rear screen projection during the ending car chase brings the short down.  The other three you mentioned are among their best.  I always liked THEM THAR HILLS and it's sequel, TIT FOR TAT.  Those two are amongst the best of their retaliation shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
TOWED IN A HOLE (1932) shares my top spot with THE MUSIC BOX (1932).

What I like most about TOWED is the mast scene... a long gag, and even though viewers know from the start what will happen, it still builds for a minute or two before the payoff.  It's not only a tribute to Stan's input to the gags, and their pacing and execution... but also Babe's ability to carry them out, sometimes with little more than ingeniously engineered glances and gestures.

Offline falsealarms

If anyone is interested further in L&H, I'd recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Magic-Behind-Movies/dp/094041029X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264020726&sr=8-1

I recently obtained a copy and it is a treasure trove of information. As stated by Laurel and Hardy Central -

"Without question, the best, most comprehensive book on the team. Skretvedt's book, more than a decade in the making, was written with access to the Hal Roach Studios archives. It offers a wealth of never-before-published behind-the-scenes information, including exact shooting dates and locations, the major differences between the shooting scripts and the finished films, interviews with the surviving principal players, and probably the best in-print analyses of the working conditions at the Roach studios. There are also lengthy chapters devoted to such topics as the music of LeRoy Shield and T. Marvin Hatley, lost films and footage, foreign versions, and video availability. The amount of detail may be a bit off-putting to new fans who just want a basic history of the team, but Skretvedt's engaging, humorous style is accessible to all. If you can afford but one Laurel & Hardy book, this is the one to get. - JL"

Offline Rich Finegan

If anyone is interested further in L&H, I'd recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Magic-Behind-Movies/dp/094041029X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264020726&sr=8-1

I recently obtained a copy and it is a treasure trove of information. As stated by Laurel and Hardy Central -

"Without question, the best, most comprehensive book on the team. Skretvedt's book, more than a decade in the making, was written with access to the Hal Roach Studios archives. It offers a wealth of never-before-published behind-the-scenes information, including exact shooting dates and locations, the major differences between the shooting scripts and the finished films, interviews with the surviving principal players, and probably the best in-print analyses of the working conditions at the Roach studios. There are also lengthy chapters devoted to such topics as the music of LeRoy Shield and T. Marvin Hatley, lost films and footage, foreign versions, and video availability. The amount of detail may be a bit off-putting to new fans who just want a basic history of the team, but Skretvedt's engaging, humorous style is accessible to all. If you can afford but one Laurel & Hardy book, this is the one to get. - JL"
Author Randy Skretvedt is currently working on a new updated and expanded version of that essential book, that will make it even more essential. Lots of new info to be included.

Offline Smaug

I always liked THEM THAR HILLS and it's sequel, TIT FOR TAT.  Those two are amongst the best of their retaliation shorts.

Big Business is one of my favorites. Near perfect film......

Offline metaldams

Big Business is one of my favorites. Near perfect film......

For some odd reason I only had talkies in mind, but yeah, BIG BUSINESS is definitely a classic.  I just watched that one a few weeks ago.

Speaking of TIT FOR TAT, it will be on TCM Friday at 8PM ET.  All you Laurel and Hardy virgins and pros should all check it out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

THEM THAR HILLS was excellent... the scene with the drunk wife and Hardy getting socked in the face was classic. The coffee scenes were equally outstanding. I've probably seen half of their sound shorts and my top 5, in some order, would be -

Busy Bodies
County Hospital
The Music Box
Them Thar Hills
Come Clean (don't hear as much about this one)

Ones like Helpmates, Hog Wild, and Tit for Tat fall just short of making my top 5. Berth Marks was also good... old comedies set on trains is usually a good way to make a good film. I've also seen Blotto, A Perfect Day, Men O War, Me and My Pal, Scram, Towed in a Hole... all solid, though A Perfect Day is the weakest of that lot.

The only one that I've seen that was more of a miss was FIXER UPPERS.