Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges coming to Rhode Island

Offline Rich Finegan

There will be a free Three Stooges film show at the Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket, Rhode Island on Friday and Saturday nights, January 8 and 9, 2010 at 7:00 P.M. each night.

Info, directions, etc. are here:

http://www.stadiumtheatre.com/Events.aspx?date=1/2010

The Stadium Theatre is a restored 1926 movie palace, so it should be a fun place to visit no matter what the show is.
Exact titles are not given yet for the Stooges films, but I hope everyone in the area will try to come.

Offline Rich Finegan

(Original message):
There will be a free Three Stooges film show at the Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket, Rhode Island on Friday and Saturday nights, January 8 and 9, 2010 at 7:00 P.M. each night.

Info, directions, etc. are here:

http://www.stadiumtheatre.com/Events.aspx?date=1/2010

The Stadium Theatre is a restored 1926 movie palace, so it should be a fun place to visit no matter what the show is.
Exact titles are not given yet for the Stooges films, but I hope everyone in the area will try to come.

(New message):
The Three Stooges free film show in Woonsocket, Rhode Island was a great success!
I attended the Friday night show, and had swell time. The Stadium Theatre was packed for this show. There had to be at least 1,000 people there (the theater seats just under 1,200 and it was almost full). And this on a very cold New England winter night! And what an enthusiastic crowd it was. Lots of families with kids, and yes, many ladies in attendance, too. All seemed to be having a great time. It's always a special experience to see The Three Stooges films in a theater with an audience, but I'm not sure I've ever been part of such a large and receptive crowd loving The Stooges.

The films were actually projected from the new Three Stooges DVD's onto the big screen, but it looked fine, and nobody seemed to mind. The programmer did a good job selecting almost all excellent prime audience-pleasing titles.
These are the shorts that were shown:
Nutty But Nice
Ants in the Pantry
Hoi Polloi
Three Little Beers
Shot in the Frontier
He Cooked His Goose
Slippery Silks
False Alarms.

I really don't know why they chose "He Cooked His Goose", one I have always considered one of The Stooges' worst. Perhaps they wanted to finish on a strong note with the final two prime Curly's. And a strong finish it sure was! I'm sure others have noticed that sometimes at Stooges or other comedy movie shows the audience is into it and laughing up a storm at the start, but it gets less enthusiastic as the show goes on. But not this time! Some of the loudest laughs continued right up through the end of the last short shown.

It's always interesting to listen for where the biggest laughs come when seeing favorite comedies in a theater. It was actually not easy to keep track this time, as almost every line and action was greeted with loud and hearty laughter, but some of the biggest laughs were at these scenes:
Nutty But Nice - when Lynton Brent's head is stuck in the hole in the door, and The Stooges start picking at his eyebrows and twisting his nose.
Three Little Beers - The press, press, pull routine.
Slippery Silks - The "put your hand on your hip" routine, and Curly's remark to Moe after June Gittelson commented on the riding habit in the fashion show.
But those were only a few. The laughter, including from kids was almost constant.

Anyone who is in the northern Rhode Island area or up for a drive from anywhere else is strongly encouraged to come to Saturday's show. It's free, and they will be showing a completely different set of shorts. I have every reason to believe this will be just as well-attended and as much fun as Friday's show. Every Stooges fan really should experience the films this way at least once. Further details about when and where are in my original post, along with a link to the theater's website.

Was anyone else there at Friday's show? Let us hear from you!
--- Richard Finegan

Offline Rich Finegan

The Saturday night free Stooges show at The Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket, Rhode Island was another big success.
This time the theater was even more packed than at Friday's show! Very close to its full capacity of almost 1,200 people. And it was another very enthusiastic audience, very much into it, and laughing up a storm at The Stooges' antics. And once again, the crowd consisted of all ages...families with kids, teens, couples, and once again, a lot of girls and ladies, and not all with the expected "date" who one might think would have dragged them there. The female Stooges fans are out there!
Another fun part of the procedings was a raffle for Three Stooges T-shirts during the half-way point intermission.

The shorts shown this time were:
Men in Black
Booby Dupes
Higher Than a Kite
Disorder in the Court (greeted with applause as its title came on).
Three Dark Horses
Income Tax Sappy
Three Missing Links
Half-Wits Holiday

They are considering doing it again next year. I encouraged them not to wait so long. There clearly is a lot of interest in shows like this (and being free ain't bad either!) Maybe those who missed this wonderful experience of seeing The Stooges with such a large and obviously delighted audience will be able to come next time.