Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Soupy Sales dead at 83

Offline falsealarms

Probably best remembered among Stooge fans as one of the other guests during one of Moe's appearances on the Mike Douglas Show.

Soupy Sales dead at 83

Offline FineBari3

I remember Soupy Sales as a host for a game show in the 1970's called Beat the Clock. I think it was an old game show brought back to life.

I later found out about his kiddie show!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'll always know Soupy as a target of Howard Stern when they both had radio shows on WNBC in NYC. There's one infamous incident where Howard cut Soupy's piano wires live on air.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I always loved watching Soupy when I was a little kid in the early 60's.  Here's a clip I just found (via the LewRockwell.com blog) of Soupy telling the story of his infamous New Year's prank:

[youtube=425,350]a-OGy3Kh7yM[/youtube]

We'll miss ya, Soupy!   [pie]

Offline JazzBill

I remember Soupy Sales as a host for a game show in the 1970's called Beat the Clock. I think it was an old game show brought back to life.

I later found out about his kiddie show!

It was a little more than a kiddie show...

[youtube=425,350]ik1Aq8KaAjo[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline FineBari3

It was a little more than a kiddie show...

[youtube=425,350]ik1Aq8KaAjo[/youtube]

Probably one of the most famous TV bloopers ever! 

Did that go out live...without the little black boxes??

BTW, I guess my memory has forsaken me. I looked up 'Beat the Clock' on Wikipedia, and Soupy never hosed it.

Presented by:
Bud Collyer (1950-1961)
Jack Narz (1969-1972)
Gene Wood (1972-1974)
Monty Hall (1979-1980)
Gary Kroeger (2002-2003)
Ricki Lake (2006 special)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Lefty

I had a vague memory of Soupy Sales' show in the 1960s, but a lot better memory of his being a "permanent" celebrity, along with Arlene Francis, on "What's My Line" hosted by Wally Bruner and Larry Blyden from 1968 to 1975.  Also, Soupy's show was on right before Hogan's Heroes weeknights in 1978-79, so I got to see the end of his show -- sometimes with pies, sometimes without.

Offline middlenamewayne

R.I.P. Soupster!

I'm sure his son Hunt Sales [Iggy Pop Band (post-Stooges); David Bowie's Tin Machine] is devastated. A few years ago I had the unpleasant duty of informing the Soup that a nightclub appearance here he'd booked in Austin had been axed by the venue's new owners (they apparently hadn't planned on bothering to mention it themselves). Hunt was really bummed out over that, since the trip had been planned as much as a nice excuse for a father-son get-together as anything else.

I'd repost my "The Soup Meets The Coop" clip on YouTube for all you Alice Cooper fans out there, but I already got banned once for uploading copyrighted materials (hence my current YT handle: 1nceBitten2wiceShy)

- mnw

Dolemite

There was real commotion when I was a kid living on Long Island as we heard Soupy was moving to Woodbury.  My brother bumped into him in NYC and asked him about it and Soupy said he had looked at a place out there.