Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stroke of Luck

Offline Larry Fine Fan

I've been a Stooge fan since I was 13 (I'm 23), and one of the only Stooge books I haven't been able to get a hold of is Larry's Stroke of Luck. There is a copy on eBay for $134.95, third printing. I am doing an interlibrary loan on it, hoping with crossed fingers that I'll be able to see it.

What is your opinion on this book?

Sara

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've been a Stooge fan since I was 13 (I'm 23), and one of the only Stooge books I haven't been able to get a hold of is Larry's Stroke of Luck. There is a copy on eBay for $134.95, third printing. I am doing an interlibrary loan on it, hoping with crossed fingers that I'll be able to see it.

Sara
It's always nice to see younger Stooges fans. I'm 23 as well and have been a life-long fanatic. I've never been able to read a copy of Stroke of Luck, though. I've heard mixed things on it over the years.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline hiramhorwitz

Whether or not you like this book will depend entirely on your perspective and expectations.  You've probably already heard about some of the problems, such as plentiful editorial mistakes and less-than-optimal readability. 

The content is what you'd get if you sat down with Larry Fine, asked him what he remembered about life and career, and then let him talk uninterrupted and unguided for an afternoon.  As you can guess, the recollection isn't highly honed, but it is interesting and gives you a sense of the kind of guy Larry was and what were the important incidents of his life.   

Recognizing that Stroke of Luck was the first published book devoted solely to the Stooges (or a Stooges member), you will probably be able to imagine the excitement Stooges fans felt upon its release.  Although much of the content now may seem trivial when compared to the ample anecdotes available in the later books, Stroke of Luck truly is the book that started the flow of information.  What's more, it contains over 100 full page photos which prior to the book's release hadn't been seen in years (or ever).   

I like Stroke of Luck, despite the shortcomings.  But I don't know that I'd pay 100+ dollars for it, unless of course I'd read it first and decided that it had to be a part of my collection.  A better option is your suggestion of an inter-library loan, if possible, although the chance of a library in your district having it seems pretty low.

Are you a member of the PA-based 3 Stooges Fan Club?  If so, do you access the Yahoogroup associated with the club?  I ask because there's a member by the name of Trent Reeve who willingly lends out his copy of Stroke of Luck and posts instructions for "signing up" on the fan club's Yahoogroup.  This may be your best way to decide whether or not you'd want to spend the money to add Stroke of Luck to your collection.  Although I wouldn't recommend blindly buying the book, I most certainly do recommend borrowing a copy and reading it.  And I'm sure the readers of this forum would appreciate hearing your reaction to the book after you've read it.  Keep us posted on your progress, okay?           

Offline FineBari3

I got to read A Stroke of Luck a few years ago (thanks Trent!), and as an educated person, I found the book extremely frustrating and difficult to read. There are grammatical errors in that book that an 8th grader wouldn't make.

I am not an obsessive collector or Stooge items, but I do have almost every book written on them. I have no desire to ever own A Stroke of Luck!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Thanks for all of your info, hiramhorwitz. I am keeping my fingers crossed as the inter-library loan is currently taking place. If I can't get it through the ILL, I'll e-mail Trent and ask if I could borrow his copy.

Yes, I am a proud member of the PA-based 3 Stooges Fan Club (I was a fan for three years, quit, then rejoined the group two weeks ago). I haven't been able to attend any of the conventions, but will try to do so in the next few years.

Your post really makes me want to read Stroke of Luck. I've always been a fan of Larry, and always wished I had been able to meet him back in the 60s and 70s.

What really piqued my interest in Larry's book was while reading "One Fine Stooge", especially the beginning of the book when it talks about Steve Cox's experience with Mr. Carone, and just everything he wrote about Larry's book.

Oh, I'll let you know when I receive it. I'll post a "scream" of excitement when it arrives. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Sara

Whether or not you like this book will depend entirely on your perspective and expectations.  You've probably already heard about some of the problems, such as plentiful editorial mistakes and less-than-optimal readability. 

The content is what you'd get if you sat down with Larry Fine, asked him what he remembered about life and career, and then let him talk uninterrupted and unguided for an afternoon.  As you can guess, the recollection isn't highly honed, but it is interesting and gives you a sense of the kind of guy Larry was and what were the important incidents of his life.   

Recognizing that Stroke of Luck was the first published book devoted solely to the Stooges (or a Stooges member), you will probably be able to imagine the excitement Stooges fans felt upon its release.  Although much of the content now may seem trivial when compared to the ample anecdotes available in the later books, Stroke of Luck truly is the book that started the flow of information.  What's more, it contains over 100 full page photos which prior to the book's release hadn't been seen in years (or ever).   

I like Stroke of Luck, despite the shortcomings.  But I don't know that I'd pay 100+ dollars for it, unless of course I'd read it first and decided that it had to be a part of my collection.  A better option is your suggestion of an inter-library loan, if possible, although the chance of a library in your district having it seems pretty low.

Are you a member of the PA-based 3 Stooges Fan Club?  If so, do you access the Yahoogroup associated with the club?  I ask because there's a member by the name of Trent Reeve who willingly lends out his copy of Stroke of Luck and posts instructions for "signing up" on the fan club's Yahoogroup.  This may be your best way to decide whether or not you'd want to spend the money to add Stroke of Luck to your collection.  Although I wouldn't recommend blindly buying the book, I most certainly do recommend borrowing a copy and reading it.  And I'm sure the readers of this forum would appreciate hearing your reaction to the book after you've read it.  Keep us posted on your progress, okay?           

Offline curlysdame

Glad to see another female Stooges fan!  Nice to meet ya, Larry Fine Fan.  My name is also Sarah, I'll be 23 in March, and I've been a Stooges fan since I was 13, too.  Did you steal my identity?   :P

I got to read A Stroke of Luck a few years ago (thanks Trent!), and as an educated person, I found the book extremely frustrating and difficult to read. There are grammatical errors in that book that an 8th grader wouldn't make.

I am not an obsessive collector or Stooge items, but I do have almost every book written on them. I have no desire to ever own A Stroke of Luck!

I absolutely agree with you, Mar-Jean.  I have most of the books, too; I do own a copy of this one, as well.  'Guess I wanted to try and complete my library.  Anyway, it really was a frustrating read.  One example: Carone cites Moe's real name as 'Maurice.'  ...??!!!??  Yeeeah.  And that's only in the first 5-6 pages.  IMO:  It's as if The Boys made a short about going into the printing/publishing business, and this book was the result of their mayhem and 'igronance.' Maybe another classic scene with Curly's head in a printing press?   :P

The only thing I liked about this 'volume' were the pictures (although, most of the captions have errors, too).  And there were some photos from the Fine family that I hadn't seen before. 

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Rich Finegan

It's as if The Boys made a short about going into the printing/publishing business, and this book was the result of their mayhem and 'igronance.'  

Great comment about "Stroke of Luck"!

Offline Rich Finegan

Way back in about 1980 on a dealer able at a Beatles Convention (of all places) I saw a stack of copies of "Stroke of Luck" for sale for ten bucks each. I already had it, so why buy another, I thought. Now, where's a time machine when I need one?

Offline kinderscenen

As an obsessive fan, I must say that it was worth the wait--I'd been waiting since 1980 or so to get a copy, and in 2004, I finally did.  Why?  To complete my collection, to see if it was as bad as it had been described (it was worse!), and to read a book that was "written" by a living Stooge.  So, for that, it was worth it.

Opening the book?  Oh, dear Lord! I'd say that James Carone smoked crack while writing this book, but they didn't have crack then, so I'll blame either weed laced with PCP, or constant drunkenness.  You'd think a guy who was such an ass could, you know, not have 10,000 damn commas all over the place. (Here, is, an,,,,,example...,,,,)

But you know, I think it's the worst thing I've ever seen in print!  That even includes the horrendous papers I've proofread!
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Larry Fine Fan

I received Stroke of Luck yesterday (YAHOO!), and actually really like it. (Thanks so much, Trent!!!!) I must admit the commas kind of made me spaced out and lost my place in the book. I love the photos, and Larry's early life and how he fell in love with Mabel.

I'm surprised Carone didn't have the book proofread, and too bad he didn't publish it through a well-known publisher instead of through a tv commercial.

Merry Christmas, everyone!  [3stooges]

Sara

Offline Rich Finegan

I received Stroke of Luck yesterday (YAHOO!), and actually really like it. (Thanks so much, Trent!!!!) I must admit the commas kind of made me spaced out and lost my place in the book. I love the photos, and Larry's early life and how he fell in love with Mabel.

I'm surprised Carone didn't have the book proofread, and too bad he didn't publish it through a well-known publisher instead of through a tv commercial.

Merry Christmas, everyone!  [3stooges]

Sara

I'm glad you got to read it, and found some good in it. Just proof that everyone should give it a chance, not just take the word of those who say it's terrible and should be avoided.

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Yeah, I'm glad I was able to read it, too. I just wish somebody was selling it for a decent price. It's a nice little book (and I never realized how little the book really is).

Did anybody buy this book through the Larry commercial from 1973? Was anybody lucky enough to write to Larry during the '70s?

Sara

Offline hiramhorwitz

Yeah, I'm glad I was able to read it, too. I just wish somebody was selling it for a decent price. It's a nice little book (and I never realized how little the book really is).

Did anybody buy this book through the Larry commercial from 1973? Was anybody lucky enough to write to Larry during the '70s?

Sara

So glad to hear you acquired Stroke of Luck and read it.  Yes, it has a distractingly high number of commas and errors.  But when it was published, it was the only Stooge book available (other than the Maltin books encompassing multiple comedy teams including the Stooges) and was welcomed ecstatically for being just that.

I treasure my copy of Stroke of Luck and remember Larry's excitement about its release, despite the problems.  I was lucky enough to write to Larry and get an inscribed copy of the book.  Seeing those pictures for the first time and reading Larry's story was an exhilarating experience for a teenager transfixed with the routine of watching the Stooges shorts every day after school (from 3:30-4:30 on Philly Channel 29). 

Now there are plenty of great books about the Stooges, all of them arguably more professional than Stroke of Luck.  Nonetheless, Stroke of Luck is my favorite, partially because of the anticipation of waiting for its release, partially because of Larry's excitement, and partially because it was the first.   

chad2411

Just, a, thought, Maybe, being the, Larry Fine ,that he was wanted it to, stand out or wanted, it to look like notes (diary).  Got me, just trying ,to give a, little reasoning. LOL,.,.,.,.,.,,,,,,.,.....comma comma

Offline FineBari3

Just, a, thought, Maybe, being the, Larry Fine ,that he was wanted it to, stand out or wanted, it to look like notes (diary).  Got me, just trying ,to give a, little reasoning. LOL,.,.,.,.,.,,,,,,.,.....comma comma

Noooooooo!

[banghead]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Larry Fine Fan

So glad to hear you acquired Stroke of Luck and read it.  Yes, it has a distractingly high number of commas and errors.  But when it was published, it was the only Stooge book available (other than the Maltin books encompassing multiple comedy teams including the Stooges) and was welcomed ecstatically for being just that.

I treasure my copy of Stroke of Luck and remember Larry's excitement about its release, despite the problems.  I was lucky enough to write to Larry and get an inscribed copy of the book.  Seeing those pictures for the first time and reading Larry's story was an exhilarating experience for a teenager transfixed with the routine of watching the Stooges shorts every day after school (from 3:30-4:30 on Philly Channel 29). 

Now there are plenty of great books about the Stooges, all of them arguably more professional than Stroke of Luck.  Nonetheless, Stroke of Luck is my favorite, partially because of the anticipation of waiting for its release, partially because of Larry's excitement, and partially because it was the first.   

I'm glad you were able to write to Larry and receive a response. I'm glad you own a copy of Stroke of Luck, too. I actually read a bunch of "new" stories that I've never read in any other Stooge book. I like how he ended it, "I don't know what page you're on but I finished the book five pages ago!".

My only wish is that Larry lived long enough to have seen "One Fine Stooge" published. He would've loved it.

Offline FineBari3

My only wish is that Larry lived long enough to have seen "One Fine Stooge" published. He would've loved it.

He surely would have loved it. Larry got the book he deserved!

Now, if we can only get a book for Shemp......
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline hiramhorwitz

No doubt -- One Fine Stooge is a gem!

Offline ProfessorStooge

Stroke of Luck is one of the rarest Stooge items ever produced. I just saw a copy on eBay with a price of $134.95. I would say that qualifies as a collector's item.