Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Beatles fans here?

Offline falsealarms

I've always liked The Beatles, but only experienced a fraction of their catalog. When Amazon had their newly remastered stereo box set for $99.99 last Friday -- a deal that sold out in less than four minutes -- I jumped on it and added pretty much all of their songs to my collection. The quality on these CD's are amazing. I've never heard them with such clarity. Purists might prefer the mono mixes, but they weren't worth it to me especially when the stereo set was being sold for about $150 less.

I've listened to PLEASE PLEASE ME, WITH THE BEATLES, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, BEATLES FOR SALE, and HELP in their entirety. It seems like there's a general upward trend in quality with each of them as the music tends to be a little more consistently good on the following one.

I've always been partial to IN MY LIFE as the greatest Beatles song, but what do people here think? Best song? Best/worst album? Overrated song/album? Underrated song/album?

Offline metaldams

At first I was very skeptical about this entire remastering campaign.  Then I heard about the mono box set and the "artistic purity" behind it and I caved in because I never heard the majority of those mixes.  I do not regret this purchase.  To get the stereo remasters, I simply had a friend who did buy the stereo set burn them for me and I did likewise with my mono set.  We both saved some money in the process.  The stereo sets do sound great, though overall I prefer mono.  "Paperback Writer," "Hey Bulldog," and the majority of the early stuff especially sound better in mono, but the stereo box in general is really a nice way to go in its own right and perfect for the fan who wants all the songs, nothing more, nothing less.  After all, the mono box stops at The White Album.

I agree they pretty much got better as they went along, but their early stuff is still very good and ahead of its time.  They paved the way for rock bands as songwriters.  Think of it this way.  When the Rolling Stones released AFTERMATH in '66, it was considered a breakthrough because it contained all original songs.  The Beatles already did this two years earlier.  PLEASE PLEASE ME and WITH THE BEATLES may not be perfect, but bear in mind in 1963, no other rock groups were making albums of that caliber.  Heck, few rock groups were making real albums, period. 

It also must be said The Beatles were very lucky to have the luxury of a good budget and the services of George Martin as a producer.  A lot of other British bands of the era were rushed to record albums by the record companies because it was thought they'd be done in six months.  Ray Davies of The Kinks has horror stories to this effect, and you can't help but wonder how his early albums, as well as the early Stones stuff, would've sounded with a George Martin guiding them.  The Beatles were very talented, but they were also very lucky.

My favorite Beatles album is THE WHITE ALBUM simply because of the song variety.  My favorite Beatles songs are " A Day In the Life," "Nowhere Man," "No Reply," and "We Can Work It Out."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Oh, yes...Beatles fan here. I discovered them around the age of 8, right around the same time as the Stooges, but the Beatles were first. This would have been in 1978.  I remember listening to Meet the Beatles on my Mom's huge monolith of a record player. She said that was the first album that came with it back in 1964.  I recall listening to the Red Album (the first album I ever bought) over and over in front of that huge stereo console. She still has it, too; a magnificent piece of furniture, and it still sounds great with all of those tubes. (It is an RCA).

In 1980 I was 10 years old and got my hands on anything Beatles I could listen to or read. 10 was a terrible age to hear that one of your idols was just killed. I still remember my Mom waking me up for school that Tuesday morning, and all of my friends telling me about it.

My favorite songs change all of the time, but as of this morning, my favorite Beatles songs are I Feel Fine, A Day in the Life, and the entire B side of Abbey Road (that's all one song, isn't it).
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Oh, yes...Beatles fan here. I discovered them around the age of 8, right around the same time as the Stooges, but the Beatles were first. This would have been in 1978.  I remember listening to Meet the Beatles on my Mom's huge monolith of a record player. She said that was the first album that came with it back in 1964.  I recall listening to the Red Album (the first album I ever bought) over and over in front of that huge stereo console. She still has it, too; a magnificent piece of furniture, and it still sounds great with all of those tubes. (It is an RCA).

In 1980 I was 10 years old and got my hands on anything Beatles I could listen to or read. 10 was a terrible age to hear that one of your idols was just killed. I still remember my Mom waking me up for school that Tuesday morning, and all of my friends telling me about it.

My favorite songs change all of the time, but as of this morning, my favorite Beatles songs are I Feel Fine, A Day in the Life, and the entire B side of Abbey Road (that's all one song, isn't it).

You're about 8 years older than me, so I have no memories of John Lennon being alive.  That said, recently at work we had some guess the baby in the picture contest, and I brought a picture of me at 8 months old, crawling with a big smile on my face near the liquor cabinet (I wonder if me parents let me take a swig?).  Anywho, my Mom dated all the pictures, and this one's 8/22/79.  The first thought that entered my mind when looking at that picture was that John Lennon was still alive and since he was living in New York City, probably an hour's drive away.  Very surreal to think that he walked the Earth the same time as me, because I don't ever remember him alive.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I like them now. I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan and wondering what all the fuss was about. I was about 12 years old at the time. I thought they looked stupid with the long hair . When you look at the old pictures now, you see it wasn't really that long by todays standards. After time, I learned to realize how talented  they really were. I like most of the stuff written or sung by Lennon, and think the solo McCartney stuff is garbage.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline hiramhorwitz

10 was a terrible age to hear that one of your idols was just killed. I still remember my Mom waking me up for school that Tuesday morning, and all of my friends telling me about it.

23 was a bad age to hear the news, too.  I'd just arrived in Houston, after being transferred from my Philly job.  Moved away from my family and friends, walked into the hotel where I was staying, turned on the tube and found Charles Kuralt in the middle of a Lennon memorial.  Felt like my connection with the past had been lost between Philly and Houston.  Kind of surreal, huh?   

Offline metaldams

Being (almost) 31, I don't have Lennon memories like you guys, but like I said, it feels weird knowing I was on the Earth the same time as him.  Bon Scott and John Bonham, who are two other rock stars who died in 1980 that I love, also fall into the same category.  I missed Keith Moon by three months.  I obviosuly remember George Harrison passing on, but the most bizzare rock star death happened on Dec. 8th (2004) for me, and that's Dimebag Darrell of Pantera being murdered......on stage!  Yeah, he's not quite John Lennon, but I still grew up listening to the guy and the way he died was awful.  I was supposed to be studying for finals the next day but ended up searching news sites trying to get as much info as possible.

Most underrated Beatle songs are the already mentioned "No Reply," "I Don't Want To Spoil the Party," and "Long, Long, Long."  The middle song has freakish personal meaning for me and along with "No Reply" and perhaps a few other songs on BEATLES FOR SALE, show John maturing as a lyricist big time.  The latter is just an incredibly gentle and beautiful George song that's hidden on the White Album.  Come to think of it, "Things We Said Today," and "Not A Second Time" are quite underrated too.  A lot of the early rockers like "I Call Your Name," "You Can't Do That," "When I Get Home," and especially "Long Tall Sally" don't get their due either.  For Beatle songs, a lot of the early stuff is underrated because people view The Beatles as a singles band at this point and over look the better album tracks.

Can't name a worst album unless YELLOW SUBMARINE counts, but it doesn't.  Worst songs?  "Hold Me Tight," "Mr. Moonlight," and "All Together Now," would have to wrestle it out for that disctinction.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Actually, I like "Mr. Moonlight". I'll agree that it's a little out-dated but the Lennon vocals are great.( In my opinion )

[youtube=425,350]JQtFg45hrUk[/youtube]

Offline JazzBill

Theres a lot of that remastered 2009 on YouTube, it sounds really good ! I wonder how long it will stay there before they yank it off?

Offline metaldams

Actually, I like "Mr. Moonlight". I'll agree that it's a little out-dated but the Lennon vocals are great.( In my opinion )

[youtube=425,350]JQtFg45hrUk[/youtube]

I don't care for the lyrics and think the organ sounds a bit cheesy, but I agree considering the material, John does a fine job with it vocally.

That said, I think BEATLES FOR SALE would've been a better album if MR. MOONLIGHT was replaced by this song, which appears on ANTHOLOGY 1. 

[youtube=425,350]H1WytU0yZwI[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

EW's 50 best, and 5 worst, Beatles songs... from 9/09.

50 "All You Need Is Love"
49 "I'm So Tired"
48 "Here Comes The Sun"
47 "Helter Skelter"
46 "Ticket To Ride"
45 "Lovely Rita"
44 "Come Together"
43 "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
42 "I'm Down"
41 "Day Tripper"
40 "With a Little Help From My Friends"
39 "Taxman"
38 "You Won't See Me"
37 "She Said She Said"
36 "Dear Prudence"
35 "Nowhere Man"
34 "I've Got a Feeling"
33 "I Should Have Known Better"
32 "I Am The Walrus"
31 "All My Loving"
30 "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
29 "I Saw Her Standing There"
28 "Rain"
27 "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"
26 "Paperback Writer"
25 "I'm A Loser"
24 "I'm Only Sleeping"
23 "We Can Work It Out"
22 "If I Fell"
21 "Revolution" (single version)
20 "Can't Buy Me Love"
19 "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"
18 "Blackbird"
17 "You've Got to Hide Your Love"
16 "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
15 "In My Life"
14 "Hey Jude"
13 "Help"
12 "Penny Lane"
11 "Eleanor Rigby"
10 "Across The Universe"
09 "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
08 "Tomorrow Never Knows"
07 "Let It Be"
06 "She Loves You"
05 "Something"
04 "Strawberry Fields Forever"
03 "Yesterday"
02 "A Day in the Life"
01 "A Hard Day's Night"

This is how they explain the choice of "A Hard Day's Night":

Forty-five years after this single hit the top of the charts on both sides of the Atlantic, it's still nearly impossible to get any two people to agree on what chord that famous opening clang! actually is. But with one majestic, mysterious Rickenbacker distress call, the Beatles as we first met them on The Ed Sullivan Show four months earlier were gone. They'd grown up. The lads had become unwitting passengers on a manic locomotive they'd never be able to disembark from, and the song's title hints at that weariness. It's right there in the opening scene of the 1964 film that bears the same name, as John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr are chased by a mob of screaming, ravenous fans. This isn't just a pop song, it's a cathartic cry for Help!

Nice of George and Ringo to get a mention since they don't appear on the cover. The worst Beatles songs according to EW:
05 "Flying"
04 "Don't Pass Me By"
03 "Dig It"
02 "Wild Honey Pie"
01 "All You Need Is Love"

Offline metaldams

I think it's wonderful that "All You Need Is Love" is both the worst Beatles song and 50th best.   ???
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Few TV moments can top this:

[youtube=425,350]kkX_UU07QwY[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

A few observations about The Beatles on Ed Sullivan;

1.)  I am not saying this to be vulgar, this is an honest observation - those janitors must of had a hell of a time cleaning those seats after the show.  Look, I've seen girls go crazy over boy bands and what not, but not like that.  Those girls are quivering and hysterical, and it's not until 9:16 where Mal Evans could find anything legal to bring the boys backstage.  The new sexual revolution at the time involved rock instruments, vocal harmonies, and Moe Howard's hair cut.  My Mom said when she saw A HARD DAY'S NIGHT at the tender age of 13, girls were literally screaming in the MOVIE THEATER!  THE BEATLES WEREN'T EVEN THERE!  YES, I KNOW BY TYPING IN CAPS I'M SCREAMING.  YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?  :police:

2.) I wonder if anybody noticed all the cool chord voicings George was doing during "'Til There Was You?"  The song itself is sappy, but I've always liked it because of the guitar, the same way I like "Silly Love Songs" because of the bass.

3.)  If they showed up on American Idol today, I wonder how quickly Simon Cowell would dismiss them?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Lennon was murdered 29 years ago tonight, likely an unconscionable amount of time for those old enough to remember it.

flash70

I would say the worst Beatles song (out of their original releases) is "What Goes On"..my favorite Beatles song is "Helter Skelter"...the coolest song ever written about a playground slide!! ;D

Offline falsealarms

What stood out to me about the Sullivan appearance was the "sorry girls, he's married" text when Lennon was shown.

Offline Justin T

I'm 32 and became a fan of the Beatles when I was in college. A friend of mine who is a music lover
played me alot of their songs and I got hooked right away. My mom was one of those screaming
girl fans back when she was growing up. Her and my dad have original LP copies of a few of their
albums, including Magical Mystery Tour.

There are several songs I consider my favorites, such as "A Hard Day's Night", "Help", "Nowhere Man",
"Penny Lane", "Eleanor Rigby", "We Can Work It Out", "Let It Be" to name a few.

I was really bummed when George died, I can't relate to Lennon death very much since I was only 3 years old
when he was murdered.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Dolemite

We watched The Beatles on Ed Sullivan and then switched channels, having no idea they were returning later on in the show

Offline janet1412

I Love the Beatles so much, they are my favorite band of all time. I think it was 2/3 years ago when I fell in love with them (which sounds weird when said out loud but oh well). I think it was when the Love album came out in the UK, which I go for Christmas and than my love of Beatles and 60s music grew from there. My favorite songs are Hey Jude, Here There and Everywhere, In My Life and Strawberry Fields Forever. 

Offline wingman77

Abby Road and Revolver are two great Beatles albums.

Offline Gritto RhumBoogie

It's impossible for me to choose a best/worst Beatles song, but my favorite album is Abbey Road without a doubt.  For most underrated, I'd go with Magical Mystery Tour.
That will be all, Ralph.

stooged and confused

I agree that the Magical Mystery Tour album ( a two EP set in the UK) is terribly underrated, primarilly due to the "film" it was unfortunately attached to.

The LP rankings:

1  Revolver
2  Rubber Soul
3  Abbey Road
4  Magical Mystery Tour (not an album in England, but a 2 disc EP there)
5  The Beatles (White Album)
6  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
7  A Hard Day's Night
8  Help!
9  With The Beatles
10 Let It Be
11 Beatles For Sale
12 Please Please Me
13 Yellow Submarine Soundtrack

These do not include compilations and are based on the UK track listings, rather than the American versions that differ fromthe British titles.

Offline metaldams

Due to change any minute

1. THE BEATLES (For pure variety)
2. REVOLVER
3. SGT. PEPPER
4. ABBEY ROAD
5. RUBBER SOUL
6. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
7. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
8. BEATLES FOR SALE (those first three tracks are incredible, otherwise this would rank lower)
9. LET IT BE
10. HELP!
11. PLEASE PLEASE ME
12. WITH THE BEATLES

I don't even consider YELLOW SUBMARINE a real album and feel if you own the Mono box set, it's not even necessary.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline RICO987

1. REVOLVER
2. SGT. PEPPER
3. RUBBER SOUL
4. THE BEATLES
5. ABBEY ROAD*
6. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
7. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
8. BEATLES FOR SALE
9. LET IT BE
10. HELP!
11. PLEASE PLEASE ME
12. WITH THE BEATLES

* If the second side of Abbey Road was an album by itself, I would place it number 1, or at least tied for #1 with Revolver.

Did anyone here ever see The Beatles live?  Unfortunately I missed them. 

I have seen Paul and George, missed Ringo so far and I never did see John.  I hear Ringo puts on a great show due, in part, to his supporting musicians.  I do want to see Ringo before it is "too late".