Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dialogue Question

Offline RICO987

I am only a Grapehead and I have never started a new thread before, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am doing it wrong.

I have a question on dialogue.  In “Idiots Deluxe” there is the courtroom scene at the beginning of the short.  Moe is talking with the judge played by Vernon Dent. 

Moe says he had an operation for “crushed grape seed” (great line) and he shows the judge, hidden from the camera, his incision.  The dialogue continues:

Judge: I have one exactly like that

Moe: You have?

Judge: Let me show it to you, see here,

Moe: Oh that’s a bum job that’s like hem stitching with a pique edge.

Every time I watch this short this exchange between Moe and the judge gets a big laugh from me.
But I have laughed more at the sense of things I get from Moe’s delivery than the exact meaning of what Moe is telling the judge. 

That is, for years I thought Moe was saying, “Oh that’s a bum job that’s like hem stitching with a pico edge.” 

I see the transcript included with the Filmography for this episode states that Moe says “pique” edge. 

I am certain I hear the vowel “O” at the end of the word in question when Moe says it in the short.   My dictionary says “pique” is pronounced “pek” with a long “e” and no vowel sound at the end of the word.  Also, the definition of “pique” is 1. To cause to feel resentment or indignation.  2. To provoke; arouse; 3. To pride (oneself).  These three definitions do not seem to render any meaning to the word ‘edge that makes sense, even in a comedic way.
I have laughed, even though I did not understand what a “pico edge” was.  I will still laugh even if Moe is actually saying “pique edge”. 

I guess I have two questions.   One, does anyone else think they hear “pico” rather than “pique”?  Two, which ever word you select, what the heck is a “pico edge” or a “pique edge”? 

Incidentally, the look on Moe’s face when, in response to the judge’s question, “Have you ever been indicted?” Moe says the line “not since I was a baby your honor” is just absolutely a classic “Moe moment”

ThumpTheShoes

It's actually a "picot" edge and, while it offers a nice look for knitted projects, it would make for a rather jagged scar!

Offline RICO987

Thanks TTS.  I see the dictionary says the “t” in picot is silent, so what we actually hear is “pico”.  I guess that would be a “bum job”.