Saturday, November 28, 2009
Starts at 8:00 PM (also a 2 PM showing)

Event website

Alex Theatre
216 North Brand Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91203
Email: events@alextheatre.org
Phone: 818-243-ALEX (2539)

What started out as a one time only screening 12 years ago has become a Thanksgiving tradition!

As usual, we will feature a collection of classic shorts and bonus films selected by our Blue Ribbon Committee of resident Stoogeophiles. This year's event showcases the working Stooges, featuring four Curly titles and Shemp, Moe and Larry in 3-D! (We'll supply those crazy red and blue glasses!) Bonus features include a rare, on-stage interview with Adrian Booth, star of 1939's Three Sappy People.

Additional special guests, surprises, some other ancillary materials that you will never see anywhere else, a bunch of THREE STOOGES items raffled at each screening (with proceeds going to support the Alex Film Society, a non-profit arts organization dedicated to the preservation and presentation of classic movies as they were meant to be seen: on the BIG SCREEN).) and general mayhem from Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp will be the order of the day. Fun?

Subject to great 35mm prints being available from Columbia Pictures,
this year's line-up is:

False Alarms (1936; Director: Del Lord)

Three Sappy People (1939; Director: Jules White)

Calling All Curs (1939; Director: Jules White)

No Census, No Feeling (1939; Director: Del Lord)

Spooks (1953;Director: Jules White) - Presented in 35mm 3-D; one
of only two shorts the Stooges made in 3-D)

Running time is approximately 2 hours 30 minutes with one intermission, and the event is suitable for ages 6 and older. Photo/Video recording by patrons is not allowed.

Tickets:
General Admission: $15.00

SPECIAL PRICING:

SENIORS (age 65+) - May purchase discounted tickets in person at the Box Office Window only; must show I.D. with date of birth at time of purchase; maximum of 2 tickets per I.D.

STUDENTS - May purchase discounted tickets in person at the Box Office Window only; must show valid current full-time student I.D. at time of purchase; maximum of 2 tickets per I.D.

CHILDREN (12 and under) - May purchase discounted tickets via Box Office Window, Phone, or Internet. Children age 2 and under who sit on a lap do not need a ticket; all persons 3 and older must have a ticket to enter the theatre.

GROUPS (15 or more) - Discounted pricing available through Alex Theatre Group Sales Department. Call 818.243.7700 ext. 216 for information and purchase.

AFS MEMBERS - Alex Film Society members may purchase discounted tickets in person at the Box Office Window only; must show valid current AFS membership at time of purchase.

For handicapped seating in an area requiring no stairs to access, please call the Alex Theatre Box Office for information and purchase.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:09:11 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline StoogeLady

I encourage ALL Stooge fans who are in/near/ Los Angeles area to RUN to the Alex Theatre THIS Saturday after Thanksgiving to see the Stooges ON THE BIG SCREEN!!! 

This is our 12th ANNUAL STOOGE FILM FEST at the Alex Theatre in Glendale.  I'm a member of the Alex Film Society and a HUGE Stooge fan and yes, I am a girl.  I loved the Stooges when I was little and when my Dad worked with them, I was the happiest kid on earth!  My Mom wasn't too thrilled.....to say the least. 

Getting back to the screening -- we have a ton of Stooge stuff for our raffles, special guests -- lots of the Stooges' relatives live in the LA area and pristine, 35mm prints and lots of surprises!!

StoogeLady

PS  BTW, my favorite Stooge as a kid was...??? [3stooges].

Offline strubachinkoscow

This is my 5th year going to the Alex Theatre's Stooge Fest. It was indeed another Grand Slam.
3D Glasses handed out at the door to watch a 3D version of Spooks, a beautifully printed program
guide, and an audience with members ages ranging from about 3yrs (seriously) to, well..., lets just
say 'Seasoned'. In addition key members of the Stooges Family were there ( Joan, etc..).
Each year, the Alex adds a special feature, and this year did not disappoint. Somebody took the
time to string together 4 appearances that Moe did on the Mike Douglas show in 1973. These were
priceless to see again. Thank you Alex staff!!!

Let me just say that the Alex really does the stooges up right. Everything from the callout to
determine if guys or girls can voice a louder 'Soitenly', to the howls of a full house when Curly
tells Moe  "....You're missing one of the biggest things of your life" regarding 'Minnie' in False Alarms.

I must echo the earlier posting here to encourage all in the LA/Orange/Riverside/San Bernadino
county areas  to make the effort to attend the annual Stoogefest and support the Alex every
Saturday after Thanksgiving. And no, I'm not a shill or employee for the Alex, just a 'Regular Guy'
who loves Howard, Fine, Howard, Howard, Besser, & De Rita.

Hope to post again in 2010 re. the Alex Stoogefest.
Dusty 'Strubachinkoscow"
How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!

Offline FineBari3

This is my 5th year going to the Alex Theatre's Stooge Fest. It was indeed another Grand Slam.
3D Glasses handed out at the door to watch a 3D version of Spooks, a beautifully printed program
guide, and an audience with members ages ranging from about 3yrs (seriously) to, well..., lets just
say 'Seasoned'. In addition key members of the Stooges Family were there ( Joan, etc..).
Each year, the Alex adds a special feature, and this year did not disappoint. Somebody took the
time to string together 4 appearances that Moe did on the Mike Douglas show in 1973. These were
priceless to see again. Thank you Alex staff!!!

Let me just say that the Alex really does the stooges up right. Everything from the callout to
determine if guys or girls can voice a louder 'Soitenly', to the howls of a full house when Curly
tells Moe  "....You're missing one of the biggest things of your life" regarding 'Minnie' in False Alarms.

I must echo the earlier posting here to encourage all in the LA/Orange/Riverside/San Bernadino
county areas  to make the effort to attend the annual Stoogefest and support the Alex every
Saturday after Thanksgiving. And no, I'm not a shill or employee for the Alex, just a 'Regular Guy'
who loves Howard, Fine, Howard, Howard, Besser, & De Rita.

Hope to post again in 2010 re. the Alex Stoogefest.
Dusty 'Strubachinkoscow"

Thank you for that wonderful review! It is always so much fun to see the Stooges with a crowd of people than sitting at home!

Your review reminded me that our long-gone Three Stooges Festival in Pittsburgh used to be on Thanksgiving weekend. I remember going with my brother one Thanksgiving eve in 1983, when I was 12, and at the height of Stooge popularity with the Curly Shuffle on the radio and the Boys on TV twice a day for two hours!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline hiramhorwitz

Somebody took the time to string together 4 appearances that Moe did on the Mike Douglas show in 1973.

Just wanted to double check on the four Mike Douglas Show appearances that were shown -- three are undoubtedly with Ted Knight, Soupy Sales, and Roger Miller.  Is the fourth one with Richard Lamparski or with Jon Voight?  Thanks for the update! 

Offline locoboymakesgood

I really wish I could have attend this but money forced me to sit home this weekend, otherwise I would have driven down.

I'm glad everyone had a ball. Hopefully I can go next year.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

I really wish I could have attend this but money forced me to sit home this weekend, otherwise I would have driven down.

I'm glad everyone had a ball. Hopefully I can go next year.

That is too bad   [thumbsdown]

My friend always called it the NCLL....or 'no-cash-lay-low'.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson