Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 73923

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline Bob Furmanek

In 1953, the projectionist was a skilled professional and not a candy stand attendee thrown in the booth. For the most part, they would center the image based on the main titles and let it go from there. If he noticed heads getting clipped, he could easily rack the framing to adjust. But you're right, this would have to be done with each show.

Regarding the 3-D shorts, after finally watching this set, I'm sorry to say they are terrible. I'm quite familiar with how good they CAN look - both in their original dual-strip Polaroid and the red/blue anaglyph conversions created in the late 60's - and these new cyan/magenta transfers are horrible. Not only is there severe ghosting (double-image) on the magenta eye, but the amount of "noise" is ridiculous. I don't know if it's some form of pixelization or digital artifacting, but it shouldn't be there.

Both shorts were extremely well photographed by Lester H. White and Henry Feulich and this is a far cry from how good these can look in 3-D

xraffle

However, the 3-D shorts look terrible to me, basically unwatchable. They are horribly pixelated and it's like watching them with my pupils dilated... serious double-vision!  I wonder if this is due to the fact that I have to wear the 3-D glasses over my real glasses... would that cause a "double-vision" effect for me?

Allow me to answer this part of post. The answer is yes. I'm nearsighted and have glasses that I wear only when I need to see things far away. Sometimes I use them for watching TV and sometimes I don't. It depends on how far I'm sitting and the clarity of the picture. However, I tried wearing the 3-D glasses with my regular glasses and the 3-D effect was non-existent. When I watched it with just the 3-D glasses only, the 3-D effect was there.

Offline luke795

Allow me to answer this part of post. The answer is yes. I'm nearsighted and have glasses that I wear only when I need to see things far away. Sometimes I use them for watching TV and sometimes I don't. It depends on how far I'm sitting and the clarity of the picture. However, I tried wearing the 3-D glasses with my regular glasses and the 3-D effect was non-existent. When I watched it with just the 3-D glasses only, the 3-D effect was there.

If someone was farsighted should they watch those shorts wearing the 3-D glasses over their glasses or should they just wear the 3-D glasses only?

Offline metaldams

Really?  Wow, that may explain why I wasn't bowled over by the 3-D.  I wear glasses for everything, and saw the 3-D very faintly.  Then again, the "3-D" I was viewing may have been just the actual pies or whatever being thrown into the camera lens. 

I can't see too well without my extra set of eyes, and my eyes are too deep set for contacts (a close up of my eyes could make Lugosi look like a kitten, it's awesome).  I'll try watching the shorts without glasses.  I may not be able to see well, but I may notice a difference anyway.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Porcupine73

Both shorts were extremely well photographed by Lester H. White and Henry Feulich and this is a far cry from how good these can look in 3-D

Thanks Bob. Can we get Sony to hire you as a consultant/enforcer on the Disc 2 re-issue?  :police:  Wasn't someone on here organizing a campaign to Sony about this? I'm in

Offline Bob Furmanek

I would love to assist, and the folks at Sony are certainly aware of our 3-D preservation work. http://www.3dfilmpf.org/

In fact, Grover Crisp attended several events at our 3-D Expo's in 2003 and 2006.

They have done a spectacular job on the Stooges shorts. It's a shame the 3-D ones were released in such poor quality. We converted several dual-strip elements (including a trailer for William Cameron Menzies' THE MAZE) for our 3-D Expo souvenir DVD, and it's a great example of just how good anaglyph can work on DVD.

xraffle

I remember when I was a kid and went to Disney world. I watched a short 3-D film called "Honey, We Shrunk The Audience." Wow! Now that was a great 3-D presentation. When a person sticks their arm out, I have to move around because it looks as if they're going to grab me. It was amazing. I've never seen a good 3-D effect like that in a very long time. Of course, I was hoping for the same results on this set, but it wasn't close. So, I was a bit disappointed with the 3-D work in this set as well. I thought it was just me at first because I had such high expectations.

Offline archiezappa

Once again, I was able to buy the set on the day of release at our local Walmart.  Yes, Walmart has done well in getting these in stock on every release date.  7 volumes and they haven't failed me yet. 

I've watched several episodes.  Yes, I couldn't resist skipping ahead to the 3-D episodes.  Totally awesome!  Definitely worth the wait.  It's weird that it's 3-D and b&w.  It's like the whole idea of people actually living in black & white back then.  Kinda weird, but so cool!

I haven't yet watched "Goof On The Roof," but I must say something.  These sets are nothing short of the greatest thing to ever happen with the 3 Stooges films.

I think they would have been proud.