Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp-centric?

xraffle

Forced?  Hardly. Curly dreamed of joining Healy's act, and studied their antics closely.  Nobody held a gun (or a razor) to his head and said, "you're gonna be a Stooge, goddammit."  Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, "Shemp is the best Stooge, he's the funniest, etc..."  I definitely think Shemp is funny, and was a natural.  But to say that 'Curly is boring,' I think more than a few people would disagree with you. 

And, if he really was the only 'good Stooge,' why wasn't the act called "Shemp Howard and Two Other Guys'?  [3stooges]

I agree with you. Both Curly and Shemp are funny in their own way. But Curly, boring? I strongly disagree with that.

Offline metaldams

Quick notation, my office at home is done entirely in Shemp, Shemp murals painted on the walls, with pictures.  As with my bedroom quarters. Have all his solo shorts; {but three}: and everyone of his solo features,dishware with Shemp, tee-shirts, sweatshirts.

[salame]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline StoogeGirl

Shemp will always have a special place in my heart. Growing up as a little girl, he was always my favorite, although I loved watching Curly as well. Now as an adult I have a deeper respect for all the Stooges. Each is unique and had their own hilarious style of comedy. :)

Offline Pithecanthropus

The Internet is the only place on the planet where Shemp is the most popular Stooge.  Always has been that way, always will be.  To the rest of the world, he's not even a legitimate Stooge.

I agree!  Sadly, I'm not sure the world outside the Internet is the legitimate one anymore.

Termite season is here.  Are you ready?

Offline Pithecanthropus

I agree!  Sadly, I'm not sure the world outside the Internet is the legitimate one anymore.

Forgot to say:

I was quite surprised to learn that Shemp was really the original "Third Stooge".   It was hard to believe that Curly was just a replacement at first, and not one of the original three.   But Shemp gave a good account of himself when he replaced Curly in 1946.   Yet you can't say he was better or worse than his brother.  Their styles were so different it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

Offline Seamus

I've only seen a small handful of Shemp's solo shorts, but what I've seen has convinced me that, as terrific as Shemp was in the Stooge shorts, he was probably at his comedic prime during his solo career.  I think one of the biggest differences between Curly and Shemps' styles is that Curly was a genius at physical improvisation, whereas Shemp was brilliant at natural and funny verbal ad-libbing.  Unfortunately, Shemp was handicapped a bit by the Stooge formula, which didn't leave much room for verbal improvisation.  His best Stooge moments were typically directed by Burns, who was smart enough to let Shemp play to his strengths by simply pointing the camera and letting him work his way through a scene on his own.  No surprise that his best scenes with the Stooges, in my opinion, came when he was on the screen by himself, ad-libbing his way through some mundane task like a live-action Popeye.  The comedy format of "getting slapped around" wasn't really the best use of Shemp's talents.

But despite all those drawbacks, Shemp's a joy to watch no matter what he's in.  I really wish those solo shorts would get an official release so we can see him at his best.

Offline Pithecanthropus

I've only seen a couple, Art Trouble being one.   To say the least it's interesting to see James Steward second billed, in tiny letters, to Shemp Howard.   I don't remember the name of the other short I saw, but Shemp was paired with another young actor who, I think, became a well known character comic of the Phil Silvers mold.   They were both grunt seamen at some naval base, working as barbers.  At one point they give a haircut to a visiting foreign officer, whose head gets shaved  polished to a mirror-like finish, with the two "barbers" admiring their reflections in the officer's bald head.  I thought both shorts were first rate.

Already in my brief time as a member I've noticed there's a lot debate as to whether Shemp or Curly was the better Third Stooge.   For me, at least, Curly's surrealistic, bizarre style evokes a visceral response which Shemp doesn't.  On the other hand Shemp was probably more versatile as an actor.  I think this is suggested by the significant demand he enjoyed during his non-Stooge hiatus.   Then again, it's a hard thing to judge with regard to the other two, because once they became Stooges, they remained Stooges to the end.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons

Offline afcomser

My Favorite two is Hot Date, the first bit in the park was pure genious. I also liked Mr. Noisy. Wow D. you didn't tell me you had that much in your house. I'm working on those last three, you will get them. S.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline afcomser

I also think the movie in question that he had them in stitches was Africa Screams. Joe Besser mentions it in his book. However I think some of it was laughing at him. Like during the river scene when he was in that high stacked boat, it turns out Shemp is afraid of being in boats in the water, when the shot was done everybody kind of took off and left Shemp in the boat, and he was screaming to get sombody to let him off the boat. Everybody was laughing at him and making fun of him. I wish we could have seen him with the stooges in the early days, Like a Night in Venice. Ted Heally always thought he was the best one.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

To me, Shemp IS The Three Stooges.  A couple of little observations:

1.  Curly was more physical humor, Shemp was more cerebral.  In other words, a higher percentage of people are going to "get" Curly's humor than Shemp's.

2.  Curly's prime was IN The Three Stooges, Shemp's prime was his solo career.  In other words: the body of work for which many are considering Shemp to their "Favorite Stooge" is showcasing a man that is at 50%-80% of what he was 15-20 years prior! 

3.  Curly makes me chuckle, Shemp makes me laugh 'til I cry.  Even though I know that "Are ya peelin'?" is coming up after "I'm Brown from The Sun", I laugh every time.  Seems the only Curly laughs I ever have anymore are for lines that I had overlooked in the first place ("Show her the postcards" got me good a couple of weeks ago).

4.  I actually have to pause Shemp to regain the strength to watch.  I cannot watch "The Officer's Mess" without hitting pause.  "The life of the party"..."Where's my bungalow?"..."What's that? An unripe owl?"...amazing!

Anyway, Shemp is my fave out of ALL The Stooges, with Larry probably coming in second followed by Moe, Curly, Dudley Dickerson and "The Pride Of Johnstown", Emil Sitka...

Offline FineBari3

Anyway, Shemp is my fave out of ALL The Stooges, with Larry probably coming in second followed by Moe, Curly, Dudley Dickerson and "The Pride Of Johnstown", Emil Sitka...

Emil went to live in an orphanage in Pittsburgh after his father died, and performed in that church's annual passion play. That passion play is still done to this day!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Of course Shemp is my favorite, but I have to vehemently disagree with some of the sentiment in this thread. Curly was awesome as a Stooge as well, and like Doug (I think) said most Stooge fans don't even consider the Shemp era funny. Curly was natural in front of the camera and carried the Stooges to levels they would never been to otherwise. Watch shorts like They Stooge To Conga, You Nazty Spy, Three Little Beers, A Plumbing We Will Go and numerous other shorts and if you can still knock Curly with a straight face then in my humble opinion (and in the opinion of many others I would imagine) you really can't be a Stooges fan.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

Curly has always been my favorite.  Shemp's okay, but think about this:  Might some people be turned off by Shemp because of all of the remakes?  There are very few shorts that were made just once, while so many have so much stock footage.  I've always thought that "Hold That Lion" was basically a remake in advance of the first half of "Loose Loot" and the second half of "Booty and the Beast."

Offline Lt. Brannigan

For me Shemp has always been my favorite Stooge. He was the first third Stooge I was introduced to in the Columbia shorts, and my 7 year old self came to firmly believe that the true Three Stooges consisted of Larry, Moe & Shemp.

Dog Hambone

I wonder how Shemp's career would have gone had he not joined Moe & Larry. I can't help but think he may have been relegated to relative obscurity had he not joined the act. He may have had a small but loyal fan base nowadays, whereas millions now know of him due to his association with the Three Stooges. 

Offline Lt. Brannigan

I wonder how Shemp's career would have gone had he not joined Moe & Larry. I can't help but think he may have been relegated to relative obscurity had he not joined the act. He may have had a small but loyal fan base nowadays, whereas millions now know of him due to his association with the Three Stooges. 

He may have reached a wider audience due to his association with the Three Stooges, but I think that he would have been a well known comic actor all on his own even if he had rejoined the Stooges. Out of the all the stooges he had most natural comic timing, also he could easily have been a top flight supporting actor.

Offline vomit

The Internet is the only place on the planet where Shemp is the most popular Stooge.  Always has been that way, always will be.  To the rest of the world, he's not even a legitimate Stooge.

CRAZY TALK
, pure & simple.  Myself, my dad, and all my associates/friends/comrades prefer Shemp.  When I was in Junior High we had a club. the "Shemps Three"......for talking about & watching SHEMP episodes.  Curly was hardly on our radar...think about it. [pie]
Specto Caelum!

Offline FineBari3

When I was in Junior High we had a club. the "Shemps Three"......for talking about & watching SHEMP episodes. 

That's great! That sounds so junior high, too!

...it made me smile this morning!   [laughing7]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline vomit

That's great! That sounds so junior high, too!

...it made me smile this morning!   [laughing7]

Good. Junior high was/is an abyss.  Shemp helped me through.  Glad you liked the "Shemps Three"! [pie]
Specto Caelum!

Dog Hambone

Curly was hardly on our radar...think about it.

I did, & it seems to me you poor guys missed out on a lotta good stuff. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Offline Lt. Brannigan

I did, & it seems to me you poor guys missed out on a lotta good stuff. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

I can't deny that, but when Shemp is at his best one doesn't feel that something is missing.

Offline CannedCoin

Hey mutton Heads , can anyone please tell me in which episode SHEMP says " A HEY, A HO, A GIMME PIECE O' PFT, EEP EEP!!!!" I just love when he says that and wanted to record him saying that and put it on my alarm clock. I now have him sayin ' OOH A BEE BOPPER EH? DIG THAT CRRRRAZY BOPPER NAME....EEEP EEEP EEEP... COOL MAN- REAL GEORGE! EEP! EEP! GIMME SOME SKIN! GIMME SOME SKIN!" .  I just wanted to tell everyone who reads this how COOL I think this site is and how GREAT it is to be able to share a PASSION of mine with the world and NOT be made to feel like an uncivilized lover of " low" comedy. THANKS ALL!!!!
WHAT PRICE STOOGEDOM....

Offline vomit

I think you mistook what I was saying.  I love Curly & have seen all his shorts multiple times.....and he has a load of classics ("Disorder", "Stooge to Conga", "Nazty Spy", etc., etc.) ;D

My friends and I all enjoyed Shemp even more.  As noted on this board earlier, Curly's appeal is more his mannerisms, and child-like demeanor.  With Shemp, we all felt he had a mature sensibility, and his humor was more cerebral.  And let's face it, if anything on this planet screams "SOPHISTICATION" it was Shemp's haircut.  That's high fashion on a low budget. :D

So that is how it is, and was, and will be.  Curly is good, and Shemp is even gooder.

Blatz for you all.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Boid Brain

Interesting thread. Comparing the two of them is pointless. Two completely different characters. When the Stooges first aired on TV my brother and I were blown away. They were so much funnier than Abbott and Costello and the Marx Bros!

They ran the shorts chronologically so we came to like Curly, but not so much when we realized that at one point it was clear to see he was losing weight and all of his vigor. Then one afternoon: Poof! Shemp was there getting punched around by Chopper Kane. Who was this guy Shemp, we wondered?  But we liked him. I definitely preferred him to the later Curly.

But nobody tops the early Curly in my book.