The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Everlast - The Stone in My Hand

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I couldn't help thinking of the videos I've seen of the recent G20 police riots in Pittsburgh while watching this.

[youtube=700,576]NtmemsBdd_c[/youtube]

Offline FineBari3

I couldn't help thinking of the videos I've seen of the recent G20 police riots in Pittsburgh while watching this.

[youtube=700,576]NtmemsBdd_c[/youtube]

Those riots in Pittsburgh (I live 30 min north of there) weren't as bad as everybody thought they would be, but they essentially blocked the entire downtown area off, and many, many buisinesses closed for thurs-sat.  There was literally an army of police there from all over the country. They were mustering at a strip-club parking lot right by where my boyfriend works, and there were probably 500 of them just there.

The only problems were near the University of Pittsburgh, where a few windows were smashed of big corporations and a bank.  I think the people that got beat up on Saturday night weren't the professional protestors; I think they were mostly college kids from Pitt.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Those riots in Pittsburgh (I live 30 min north of there) weren't as bad as everybody thought they would be, but they essentially blocked the entire downtown area off, and many, many buisinesses closed for thurs-sat.  There was literally an army of police there from all over the country. They were mustering at a strip-club parking lot right by where my boyfriend works, and there were probably 500 of them just there.

The only problems were near the University of Pittsburgh, where a few windows were smashed of big corporations and a bank.  I think the people that got beat up on Saturday night weren't the professional protestors; I think they were mostly college kids from Pitt.

That's why I referred to them as the "police riots", since from what I have seen it was mainly just the police thugs who were committing violence.  The video that cheesed me off the most (so far) was one where the police attacked a small group of people who had gathered on a street corner to watch the cops.  They weren't protesting or doing anything even remotely illegal, but that didn't stop the bastards from attacking peaceful civilians.

Offline JazzBill

That's why I referred to them as the "police riots", since from what I have seen it was mainly just the police thugs who were committing violence.  The video that cheesed me off the most (so far) was one where the police attacked a small group of people who had gathered on a street corner to watch the cops.  They weren't protesting or doing anything even remotely illegal, but that didn't stop the bastards from attacking peaceful civilians.
[youtube=425,350]eaBwgsZhZJA[/youtube]

Chicago Cops have been known to start a riot or two. In 1968 they even brought in the National Guard to help them.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Chicago Cops have been known to start a riot or two. In 1968 they even brought in the National Guard to help them.

Yeah, I still remember those (watching the riots on TV, of course.)  I was 13 at the time, and a confirmed "law-and-order conservative" who was convinced that those "dirty hippies got what they deserved" (to quote my policeman father.)  These days I realize that is not true at all.

At least in the Chicago riots, most of the people who were injured by the police had actually gone out to protest or even seeking a confrontation. but it doesn't seem as though that was the case in Pittsburgh.  It's my understanding that most of the people harrassed and injured by the police were innocent bystanders who weren't even involved in any protests.

Offline JazzBill

Yeah, I still remember those (watching the riots on TV, of course.)  I was 13 at the time, and a confirmed "law-and-order conservative" who was convinced that those "dirty hippies got what they deserved" (to quote my policeman father.)  These days I realize that is not true at all.

At least in the Chicago riots, most of the people who were injured by the police had actually gone out to protest or even seeking a confrontation. but it doesn't seem as though that was the case in Pittsburgh.  It's my understanding that most of the people harrassed and injured by the police were innocent bystanders who weren't even involved in any protests.
You're right about the protesters coming to Chicago looking for trouble. The Chicago police were more than happy to give it to them. A lot of people I knew got involved with it. But I never really got into the "Hippie" thing. By that time, I owned my first motorcycle and was more of a biker type. A lot of things happened in 1968, I'm glad I was around to experience it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I knew a retired police officer in his 60's who once admitted to me he arrested a "nigger" because he simply felt like arrresting a "nigger" who was a completely innocent man.  No other reason.

Like almost any other walk in life, there are good police officers and there are bad ones, but the fact is humanity as a whole has yet to figure out how to take any position of power and not abuse it.

- Doug Sarnecky