Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who would you have dinner with, living or dead?

Offline metaldams

OK, just for fun, name five people, living or dead, you'd like to have dinner with.  To make things more interesting, they can't be Stooges because we'd all answer the same thing!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Only five?

Dr. Ron Paul, Murray Rothbard, Thomas DiLorenzo, Thomas Woods and Terry Pratchett.

Offline curlysdame

Good question!  I'd have to have dinner with:

Mary Pickford, Bea Arthur, Jackie Gleason, Betty White, and Frank Sinatra.  ...Can The Boys at least come for dessert?   :P

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

1.  My maternal grandfather - he died before I was born, obvious reasons

2. Cliff Burton - inspired me to play bass, died at 24 in a bus accident, but seemed wise beyond his years

3. Theo Epstein - Red Sox GM, would love to talk baseball with the guy and he has old Hollywood history because his great grandfather and great uncle also wrote Casablanca

4. Buster Keaton - A comic genius, yet it seems like it never went to his head.  I'm sure he'd be a great storyteller.

5. Laura Prepon - Donna from THAT 70'S SHOW, 'cause it wouldn't be a dream dinner without some beauty.  When the others go, she stays a while longer.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Good question!  I'd have to have dinner with:

...Can The Boys at least come for dessert?   :P

OK, 9 people, assuming four are Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp.  I wouldn't throw them out until the 50th pie was thrown.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BenStooge9

Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Larry David, Rodney Dangerfield, John Lennon

Offline FineBari3

Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Larry David, Rodney Dangerfield, John Lennon

ooooooooooo....that's a good one!

(still thinking up mine)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline OldFred

Abraham Lincoln, Lewis Carroll, Harpo Marx, Charlie Chaplin, Paul McCartney.

Celebrities I have had dinner with: Uncle Floyd Vivino and Davy Jones. Honest, no kidding. 

Offline FineBari3

Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Theodore Roosevelt, Peter Sellers, and Janis Joplin.

I was going to say Thomas Edison, but I don't think he would be fun dinner company!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thomas Jefferson, John Lennon, George Carlin, Ted Williams and Richard Dawkins.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
OK, just for fun, name five people, living or dead, you'd like to have dinner with. 

- My paternal great-great-great-great-grandfather Joseph Seguine... who made the Seguines of Staten Island one of the richest families in New York City in the first half of the 1800s. After his death, his children lost the family fortune. The Seguine Mansion he built still stands on Staten Island, on Seguine Point overlooking the Raritan Bay.

- My mother's father Martin Burdge, who I never met, but taught me that life is a soap opera. He allowed everyone to think he died in the Hercules Dynamite explosion of 1940 in Roxbury NJ. He was accidentally found living as a hermit in Budd Lake NJ in 1960 by some of my cousins, and disappeared again before my mother could confront him... no one knows where he went, or when he died.

- My older brother Barry, who died two years ago. We always stayed in touch by phone, but with him in Florida and me in NJ, I didn't see him after he became sick with throat cancer. Just one more dinner.

- Stan Laurel

- Jack Kirby

Offline hiramhorwitz

Albert Einstein (the mathematician, not the comedian)
Ansel Adams
Mother Teresa
Leonardo da Vinci
Mama Cass

Offline locoboymakesgood

This is really hard since I'm a movie and history buff.. but an interesting question none the less.

-My Dad (passed away in 2005)
-Abraham Lincoln
-Stan Laurel
-Leslie Nielsen
-Rodney Dangerfield

Way too hard.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

Great lists guys!  Keep 'em coming if you haven't made one yet.

Brent, very sorry to hear about your brother.  I had no idea.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline Deangonga

-Friedrich Nietzsche
-Howard Stern
-Syd Barrett
-H.P. Lovecraft
-Joey Ramone

Offline Justin T

- John Adams
- Abraham Lincoln
- Harry Truman
- C.S. Lewis
- Alfred Hitchcock
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline middlenamewayne

Albert Einstein (the mathematician, not the comedian)

Al may not have been a comedian himself, but he was personally responsible for Brother Theodore's escape from Nazi Germany! (True fact!) I'd take that over being Super Dave Osborne's brother any day!

Anyhoo...

W.C.Fields (alive)
Bill Hicks (alive)
George W. Bush (dead)*
my former editor (dead or dying)
Bela Lugosi (undead)

BTW: I don't get it -- so far, noone but me has answered the original question of whether they'd want the people on their list to be living or dead!

-- mnw

*(The most subtle death wish ever recorded is the line "I can't wait 'til I see your face on a dollar bill" in the song "W" by The Damned.)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

BTW: I don't get it -- so far, noone but me has answered the original question of whether they'd want the people on their list to be living or dead!

You can pick 5 people who are either living or dead, not decide if you can bring people back to life or kill them. I don't know why anyone would want to have dinner with corpses.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline middlenamewayne

I don't know why anyone would want to have dinner with corpses.

Choose from punch line A or B:

A) You're completely right! Everyone knows you should have your corpses with BREAKFAST!
B) Well, I don't know why some people are rotten to the corpse, but they still are!

-- mnw

Offline percytheslice

Offline middlenamewayne

Selecting from the names already mentioned, I'll list my "relationships" with these:

Terry Pratchett - ran into his occasional writing partner Neil Gaiman twice in one month! I used to sleep with Death, too! (The model for the "Sandman Comics" character was my dearly missed Cinnamon Hadley...)

Larry David - his TV dad on "Curb" (Shelley Berman) is an old buddy of mine, which in turn put me on the good side of Jorge Garcia* (Hurley on "LOST").

John Lennon - literally ran into (ouch!) his son Sean at a nightclub opening.

Janis Joplin - not sure, but everyone in Austin has crossed her path (posthumously) at some time. Her good pal Eddie Wilson is a friend of mine as well.

Jack Kirby - closest I can claim is meeting the fragile but amazing Gil Kane. Of course, my best buddy Daniel Johnston** often THINKS that HE is Jack Kirby!

Howard Stern - conducted a debacle of a phone interview with him that was supposed to go on his E! TV series as well, but it stank too bad...

George Carlin - co-produced the "Arizona Bay" CS by his protegé Bill Hicks.

Ron Jeremy - is one of the most delightful people I ever got to chat on the phone with*** - better than Joe Rogan, Stan Freberg, Michael Nesmith, Mark "DEVO" Mothersbaugh, et cetera.

Joey Ramone - he attended a Lodge Party, though that was before I became a Lodge member (the organization was then co-chaired by Rob [Veronica Mars; Cupid] Thomas]. My Lodge party guests later included members of Fishbone, Replacements, Guns 'n' Roses, Special Beat Service, Joe King Carrasco, BH Surfers, and many more.

Missing Persons/Frank Zappa drummer Terry Bozzio once took me to the finest restaurant in town! I never had lunch with William Shatner, but only because I had to turn HIM down! (We had a wuick glass of tea and a chat, with Mrs. Shatner and Harry Hamlin.

Oh... and Courtney Love hates me.

- mnw

* (Jorge's first TV acting role was a pot dealer selling "medical marihuana" to elderly Shelley on Curb".)
**(
)
***(If ya wanna get "The Hedgehog" in a chatting mood, just mention his XXX-rated "stone-age parody" movie "The Flintbones"!)
BTW: Stooge-wise****, I clearly recall wanting to write to them and each new obit in the paper, for Larry, then Moe, then Joe... was a blow to my heart and a severe lesson about procrastination. I'm proud to say that circumstantial evidence suggests that a holiday card I sent to Emil Sitka appeared to have reached his eyes before he had his final stroke!

****(Is "Stooge-wise" an oxymoron? Or am I one for asking????)

Offline metaldams

Selecting from the names already mentioned, I'll list my "relationships" with these:

Terry Pratchett - ran into his occasional writing partner Neil Gaiman twice in one month! I used to sleep with Death, too! (The model for the "Sandman Comics" character was my dearly missed Cinnamon Hadley...)

Larry David - his TV dad on "Curb" (Shelley Berman) is an old buddy of mine, which in turn put me on the good side of Jorge Garcia* (Hurley on "LOST").

John Lennon - literally ran into (ouch!) his son Sean at a nightclub opening.

Janis Joplin - not sure, but everyone in Austin has crossed her path (posthumously) at some time. Her good pal Eddie Wilson is a friend of mine as well.

Jack Kirby - closest I can claim is meeting the fragile but amazing Gil Kane. Of course, my best buddy Daniel Johnston** often THINKS that HE is Jack Kirby!

Howard Stern - conducted a debacle of a phone interview with him that was supposed to go on his E! TV series as well, but it stank too bad...

George Carlin - co-produced the "Arizona Bay" CS by his protegé Bill Hicks.

Ron Jeremy - is one of the most delightful people I ever got to chat on the phone with*** - better than Joe Rogan, Stan Freberg, Michael Nesmith, Mark "DEVO" Mothersbaugh, et cetera.

Joey Ramone - he attended a Lodge Party, though that was before I became a Lodge member (the organization was then co-chaired by Rob [Veronica Mars; Cupid] Thomas]. My Lodge party guests later included members of Fishbone, Replacements, Guns 'n' Roses, Special Beat Service, Joe King Carrasco, BH Surfers, and many more.

Missing Persons/Frank Zappa drummer Terry Bozzio once took me to the finest restaurant in town! I never had lunch with William Shatner, but only because I had to turn HIM down! (We had a wuick glass of tea and a chat, with Mrs. Shatner and Harry Hamlin.

Oh... and Courtney Love hates me.

- mnw

* (Jorge's first TV acting role was a pot dealer selling "medical marihuana" to elderly Shelley on Curb".)
**(
)
***(If ya wanna get "The Hedgehog" in a chatting mood, just mention his XXX-rated "stone-age parody" movie "The Flintbones"!)
BTW: Stooge-wise****, I clearly recall wanting to write to them and each new obit in the paper, for Larry, then Moe, then Joe... was a blow to my heart and a severe lesson about procrastination. I'm proud to say that circumstantial evidence suggests that a holiday card I sent to Emil Sitka appeared to have reached his eyes before he had his final stroke!

****(Is "Stooge-wise" an oxymoron? Or am I one for asking????)

You mean you never met my grandfather?  :o
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

PS:  If you look at my dinner and want to change it to the g-rated version where Metaldams doesn't get any (I can't believe I'm the only person here who thinks of his love life in these situations, SHEESH), replace Laura Prepon with Orson Welles.  An incredibly fascinating human being from a very young age, and I'm sure his ego, humor, and storytelling would be awesome.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

PS:  If you look at my dinner and want to change it to the g-rated version , replace Laura Prepon with Orson Welles.  An incredibly fascinating human being from a very young age, and I'm sure his ego, humor, and storytelling would be awesome.

I'm nopt sure if it would be allowed, but you could probably place Laura Prepon INSIDE Orson Welles and have your cake and... well, Orson would eat it.

As far as G-rated, here's a typical dinner conversation with Welles, which may not be appropriate for the little ones (it originally appeared on FOX TV, for Besser or worse...:

http://utube.smashits.com/video/IH1PJTY9AVA/Rosebud-Frozen-Peas.html

-- mnw

BTW: Tangentially, I'm reminded of a great hit by The Dickies:

"I'M STUCK IN A CONDO (WITH MARLON BRANDO)!"

I'm stuck inside a condo with Mr. Marlon Brando.
He tells me, "Get the butter," sounds just like my mother!
He wasn't nice to Connie.
His son, he shot somebody
For messin' with his daughter,
Just like the Godfather

He's heavy and he's hairy.
He's really scaring me...Marlon Brando!

Well, I saw him in a movie.
He used to be so groovy.
Now he's eating mashed potatoes.
He's a human Winnebago.

He's a heavy dingleberry.
He's really scary...Marlon Brando!

Domino's delivery has brought me to him.
Cheese and pepperoni, watch him shovel it in.
He's giving me a lecture on the wages of sin.
Mr. Brando, please show me the door!

(repeat chorus)