Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Evening With Groucho

Offline falsealarms

Download An Evening With Groucho here.

There also seems to be some extras: Groucho on The Tonight Show, a 1975 interview with a then 85-year-old Groucho (his voice shows his age), Groucho on Fame from 1972, and George Fenneman on You Bet Your Life.

An Evening with Groucho is a performance at Carnegie Hall also from 1972. Fortunately for us he was in much better form. It is is basically a “Story of my life” show. Groucho entertains the audience by talking about his films, his famous friends, his equally famous brothers and , of course, himself. His voice is a bit faltering but he seems to be enjoying the time. There are a few musical numbers, noticeably “Hello I Must be Going” and “Lydia The Tattoo Lady” but the real delight is hearing the stories of this master comedian and film star. This is a very entertaining recording that is also a fascinating bit of oral history. - from http://freealbums.blogsome.com/2008/09/01/groucho-marx-an-evening-with-groucho-single-episodes/

Offline Smaug

Thanks falsealarms! Haven't thought about this in a long time. Used to have a LP of this, nearly had the dang thing memorized. A blast from the past!
I think this a bit longer than the album version. Good find!

Need cheering up- Tigers fan.

Offline metaldams

My Dad's got this one in his record collection. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

I used to play this when I worked at a used record store in Pittsburgh. I worked up on the third floor, and we could only play what we sold on that floor. That floor sold Jazz, Big Band, Classical, Country, Easy Listening, and Comedy.

We also had the 'miscellaneous' section, which was pretty interesting!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BenStooge9

Does anyone know if the Stooges ever hung out with the Marx Brothers or Abbot & Costello?

Offline Smaug

Does anyone know if the Stooges ever hung out with the Marx Brothers or Abbot & Costello?

I know Groucho had been to W.C. Fields house, talks about it on the "Evening with.." album.

I recall Costello was accused of copying Curly to some degree. And Shemp was in a few A&C movies, so the probably spent some time together.
A few pictures would be cool if something like that even existed.....

Dolemite

Thanks for this, I had downloaded parts of it on eMule but never the whole thing, one of the funniest men who ever lived.

Offline Larrington

It's a great album, but to be accurate, it is not completely from the Carnegie Hall show...portions of two other performances (including San Francisco and I think possibly Iowa) were used.  I was at the Carnegie Hall show...in that performance, the "Polish Officer"  story was told as the "Hungarian Officer" story.

Groucho was in fine form, and not as frail as he appeared less than a year later.  The audience was filled with celebs (sitting directly in front of me was Paul Simon...directly behind me was former NY mayor John Lindsay...four seats to my right was Woody Allen.  A few rows ahead of me were composers Betty Comden & Adolph Greene. 

In any case, it was quite a fun evening despite some unfortunate technical glitches.