The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp's STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX coming to DVD

Linked Events

• Shemp's DR. RX on DVD: October 30, 2009 - November 05, 2009

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
DigitalBits.com's reviewer Barrie Maxwell reports that Universal is releasing "Universal Cult Horrors Collection" on October 15 October 30 (delayed). In a strange marketing strategy, the box set will be an exclusive to the online store at TCM.com, with no publicity other than word-of-mouth.

Five 1930s/1940s Universal horror genres are included, including the comedy-suspenser THE STRANGE CASE OF DOCTOR RX (1942), costarring Shemp Howard and Mantan Moreland.

See Barrie's comments below for more details. As of today, TCM's store has not added the item; apparently, there will be no advance publicity, so keep an eye out on 15th 30th, when it reportedly will be available.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/barriemaxwell/maxwell100509.html
There are discussions on various internet fora of another exclusive set from Universal. Supposedly coming on October 15th and exclusive to the TCM website this time is the Universal Cult Horrors Collection. The set would include the much-requested Murders in the Zoo as well as House of Horrors, The Mad Ghoul, The Mad Doctor of Market Street, and The Strange Case of Doctor Rx. It would apparently retail for $50, although there has been no official announcement of the release as yet. One presumes the release will be of pressed rather than burnt discs. If the release does appear and past history is any indication, it may be a lengthy wait before it makes its way from being an exclusive to a wider release. Universal told The Digital Bits that it wasn't making review copies available, so it's unlikely to get much publicity beyond word-of-mouth and internet chatter amongst enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:29:14 PM by BeAStooge »

Offline metaldams

The price sickens me, YET....

- I'm a big Universal Horror Fan
- I've been wanting to see these movies, especially THE MAD GHOUL and MURDERS IN THE ZOO, for years
- Shemp is in one of these

Individually, none of these make me want to spend $50.  Combine them together, and I'm going to bend over and give in.  This set has caused controversy at the Classic Horror Film Board.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

"The Strange Case Of Dr. Rx" features, in my opinion, five minutes of the funniest solo Shemp that there is! When he and Mantan Moreland are gambling for the liquor in the kitchen is a great bit that could have only happened between those two comic geniuses!

That is definitely the highlight of the film...of which I have for trade should anyone be looking for it and not wanting to pay the $50 for the new box set edition coming out.  I am looking for any of the Shemp and Maxie Rosenblum films in return.  Let me know!  Thanks!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Updates -
 - TCM and its distribution partner Movies Unlimited are selling DR. RX as of October 29
 - DR. RX, and the other titles, can be purchased individually.
 - This set of titles is the first in a proposed series of Universal-owned catalog titles that will be marketed by TCM.