Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Official Columbia Comedy Shorts Thread

metaldams · 83 · 39574

Offline metaldams

I'm going to get a lot of guff for this, but I just don't get Andy Clyde!  I thought AY TANK AY GO was funnier than the Andy Clyde LODGE NIGHT.  I think the Langdon COLD TURKEY is great! "Whoopee!" (when he gets drunk). I also love the part when he is running around yelling "Maniac! Maniac!"

Now I LIKE Andy Clyde, but not El Brendel.  I guess everybody does have their own opinion on these things.  That Langdon short does rule, though, I would definitely like to see more of his Columbias.

I think we all agree on The Three Stooges, though.   ;D

What do you guys think of Dudley Dickerson in those scare comedies?  He's flippin' great.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Single-O

Now I LIKE Andy Clyde, but not El Brendel.  I guess everybody does have their own opinion on these things.  That Langdon short does rule, though, I would definitely like to see more of his Columbias.

I think we all agree on The Three Stooges, though.   ;D

What do you guys think of Dudley Dickerson in those scare comedies?  He's flippin' great.

I like Brendel but I don't like that fat fairy Besser.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

I didn't get a chance to watch it yet, but I did grab a copy of "Tall, Dark and Gruesome" last night.  I've always loved Dudley Dickerson, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a larger role.

Offline metaldams

I didn't get a chance to watch it yet, but I did grab a copy of "Tall, Dark and Gruesome" last night.  I've always loved Dudley Dickerson, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a larger role.

Do check it out, his scare reactions are priceless.  I also got a huge laugh with Hugh Herbert muttering that line about the car only going 100MPH only to have Dudley run past him.  Both Herbert/Dickerson shorts in this thread are great.

Also a shame Dudley did not get above the title billing, because he certainly deserved it.  I hate to throw in the race card, but considering the times the short was made and the fact I can't think of another Columbia short where a "supporting player" had such a big role, I can't help but wonder.  It's either that or Hugh Herbert had it in his contract where he gets sole top billing only.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I have to agree that Sony needs to free the shorts!  Yes!  We need to have all of these wonderful shorts available on DVD.  The sets that we have of The Three Stooges are very close to perfection.  After they're done with them, they need to release all of the others.  Well, as many as they can.  I know they released a volume of Buster Keaton.  I haven't got that yet, but I will.  I'm still hoping for that set of Charlie Chase.  That would be very good.

We need all of these shorts released on DVD so we can all watch them and enjoy them, talk about them, etc.  We all have different opinions on which ones we like and dislike.  But without a good way to watch them, we can't really talk about them.  If they're gonna be removed from youtube, then they need to be released on DVD.  That's what Sony needs to do.

On that note, I wonder how many shorts (other than the 3 Stooges) were done in 3-D?

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Your right about Sony taking the shorts down from youtube . Maybe Sony should start a page on HULU.com so people can vote on the shorts that they will post and the ones that win go to DVD :) I dont know some thing like that :)

Offline Rich Finegan

That's a very good idea.
A note to Sony: If you don't want people trading bootleg copies or putting the shorts on YouTube, then RELEASE THEM legally and properly! You can clearly see the real interest there is in these shorts. RELEASE THEM and we will buy them!

Offline archiezappa

That's a very good idea.
A note to Sony: If you don't want people trading bootleg copies or putting the shorts on YouTube, then RELEASE THEM legally and properly! You can clearly see the real interest there is in these shorts. RELEASE THEM and we will buy them!

Kind of reminds me of the old saw: "If you build it, they will come."

Attention Sony:  If you press them, we will buy!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Tall, Dark And Gruesome was very good.  Hugh is very funny and seeing Dudley Dickerson (although in a similar servant role) are hilarious.  The part with Hugh running in fast motion with that desk or whatever it was into the doorway was wonderful (as was Dudleys similar run thru the other door. 

Andy Clyde is very good as well in both of his shorts, The short with the two couples in the same house wasn't as funny to me, although I thought when the baseball was thrown thru the windows and hit the guy in the head was the best part for me.  I'll still have to watch the others to review them and post some thoughts. I would like to see some Charley Chase shorts as the ones I've seen were very good.
Keep em going til the Sony Police pull the rug out.  Hey Sony listen to us here, we are the ones buying the Stooge volumes and would appreciate these shorts as well.  Todays so called comedy is anything but for the most part.

Robin

Why are the columbia gorilla shorts always funny (was the gorilla always played by the same actor?)  always wanted to know, was it the goon guy?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Why are the columbia gorilla shorts always funny (was the gorilla always played by the same actor?)  always wanted to know, was it the goon guy?

Each short in the filmography has a cast listing, and in the "gorilla shorts," those actors are also credited. Duke York never played one of the gorillas.

Three main actors over the years included Ray "Crash" Corrigan (whose gorilla suit was named 'Naba', and is even credited in THREE MISSING LINKS), Steve Calvert and Art Miles. In the new footage to HOOK A CROOK (1955), it was Dan Blocker (BONANZA) who put on a suit.

Offline metaldams

Hey, I'm with you guys: they release, I buy.  I can understand them taking down Stooge shorts since they sell those commercially, but not shorts that aren't available.

Glad I started this thread, as interest for these films are being shown.  Thanks guys.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

They've already released Buster Keaton.  They're in the process of releasing The Three Stooges.  If they'll release Charlie Chase after they finish the Stooges, that will be a huge step in the right direction.  Maybe Andy Clyde after that.  Who knows?  I just hope they do it.  These old comedy shorts are head and shoulders above anything that's billed as a "sitcom" these days.

Offline HELLOLARRY

What would be nice is that if there is no official release of this material maybe these other series go the way of how Warner Archives is handling some of that type of product.  It would be nice if Sony did that with some of their stalled TV series too.

Offline archiezappa

What would be nice is that if there is no official release of this material maybe these other series go the way of how Warner Archives is handling some of that type of product.  It would be nice if Sony did that with some of their stalled TV series too.

The only problem with that is those films are not restored.  I'd like to see all of the Columbia shorts get the same treatment that the Stooges have received.  Complete restoration from the original negatives.

Offline FineBari3

I like Brendel but I don't like that fat fairy Besser.

Oh, here we go, Louie!!!! Were you on this board when we had the 'Gay Joe' argument?  It was pretty brutal....

Is it safe to say that the words "Joe Besser" will not be in your upcoming El Brendel book?   [fear]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

The only problem with that is those films are not restored.  I'd like to see all of the Columbia shorts get the same treatment that the Stooges have received.  Complete restoration from the original negatives.

It's all about money. Period.

Have you people any idea how much time and money it takes to restore a film?  (I think Gary Lassin does!)

Sony would never, ever spend millions of dollars to restore a film that nobody wants. Sure, we here may want them, but I guarantee that 80% of the DVD buying people in the USA have NO idea who Charley Chase or Andy Clyde is.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

Sony would never, ever spend millions of dollars to restore a film that nobody wants. Sure, we here may want them, but I guarantee that 80% of the DVD buying people in the USA have NO idea who Charley Chase or Andy Clyde is.

That's why they should be showing these on television.  Perhaps, on TCM.  That would be the perfect way of promoting these shorts.  Or, maybe, the hulu thing.  That sounds like a good idea, too.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Thanks so much for the Gorilla Gossip. I always liked when the gorilla talked at the end of Hot Ice saying "I Helped" when The guy asked Shemp if he knocked out all the crooks by himself and said "That I Did" and The gorilla pops up and says his line.   These seldom or never before seen by most of us shorts are very entertaining.

Much for funny than most if not all of todays supposed comics and comedy shows and movies.

Robin

Offline Sadistic Stooge

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ppdoKNzo3A&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2ppdoKNzo3A&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOGEYTVXDls&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NOGEYTVXDls&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Very nice 2 reeler, is that the black baby stock footage from "Uncivil Warriors"?  Many other supporting Stooges players in this besides Bud Jamison, although I can't remember their names.  I know the guy that did the exploding cigar joke to Hugh was in several Stooges shorts, like the one in which Curly acts crazy (wasn't the characters name "Jerry"?  Keep them coming while you can though, these are very interesting to see, and waiting for Sony to put them out (which will be when it snows in sunny California in August!) means our only chance to see these rare screen gems (pun intended)

Robin

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the new short Sadistic Stooge.  There's still two of these in this thread even I haven't watched, but I will get to them soon.
- Doug Sarnecky