Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Scalped By The Beatles

Offline archiezappa

I also posted this on my blog http://bryanharwell.blogspot.com.  I know there are a lot of Beatles fans on here and I thought you might be interested.

My original post:

Must we be scalped?  Not if somebody can do something about it.  We must do something about it.  Let me fill you in.

Tomorrow, on 09/09/09, The Beatles entire catalog will be reissued on CD.  The new video game "The Beatles Rock Band" is also coming out on the same day.

While this all sounds well and good, there are a few problems. 

First off, I'm not interested in video games.  While the game is probably a lot of fun, I have no intention of buying it.

Second off, I'm also not interested in the stereo masters.  What I have is the original first issue of their British catalog on CD.  You know, the ones from the 1980's.  I'm not interested in double-dipping, just because they have new ones.

Here's the problem.  The only thing that really intrigues me is the reissue of all of their material in mono.  Why?  Well, in many ways, mono is superior to stereo.  Yes, my album "Work" was mixed on mono.  This was done on purpose.  In mono, every instrument and voice is blended in a certain way that stereo cannot do.  Everything is heard all together.  That's the way music should be.  And many people agree that the mono versions of "Sgt. Pepper" and "Revolver" are far superior to their stereo counterparts.

My album was also recorded in analog.  Why, again?  Well, here's the deal.  There's a certain sound on the low end (bass) that you can get only with analog equipment.  This is not lost in a transfer to digital. 

Now, I've said all that to say this.  I would love to have "The Beatles In Mono" CD box set.  That would be a dream come true.  I've never heard most of the Beatles songs in mono.  I know that they've got to be awesome!  This is what I've been waiting for.  This is what I'd really like to get.  This is the ultimate in Beatles recorded material!

Well, here's the big let-down.  "The Beatles In Mono" is a "limited edition" box set.  Which means, that if you didn't pre-order it, you ain't gonna get it!  That royally sucks!  Why can't they make this box set a standard issue?  Or, why can't they issue the mono CD's individually?  Now, I'll have to either do without it (which royally sucks!) or buy it from scalpers.

Yes, that's right.  Scalpers.  They're here.  There are people who have pre-ordered these box sets, just so they can sell them at higher prices and make a killing!  I've already seen this on Amazon.  The pre-orders have sold out and there are already 3 available from various sellers.  Yes, the sets are new.  They won't even be released until tomorrow!  And they're for sale for $500!  That's totally ridiculous!

Why can't somebody do something about this?  I hate it when people are out to rip you off like that.  I shouldn't have to pay $500 for a box set of music.  I'm not going to pay that.  I guess I'll have to wait 30 years and find it at a yard sale for a dollar. 

So much for having the greatest CD box set, ever.  So much for my favorite band.  :-(

Offline locoboymakesgood

Mono is not superior. The only reason the original Beatles released most of their albums that way to begin with was because they weren't keen to the stereo mixing and didn't actually supervise any of the master recording when they were being released that way. The Mono release now is just a nostalgic kick since that's how the original releases were - nothing more. I really don't think you're missing out on much since it's not like Paul and Ringo didn't sanction these. This is a huge, huge deal - the remasters are 20+ years in the making so I think personally it's worth a purchase anyway. The Mono set is limited because for the most part only the hardcore fans will really care.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Stooges#1

Wikipedia:

"EMI announced on September 3 more mono box sets were to be pressed due to high demand from online pre-orders. It will still remain a limited edition but will not be limited to 10,000 copies as originally stated."

There is still some hope to get the Mono set.

There are some songs that are missing from the Mono and Stereo sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_in_Mono

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_Stereo_Box_Set

Offline Rich Finegan

Mono or stereo?

Most hard-core Beatles fans and collectors ideally would want both versions. There are significant differences in the mono & stereo recordings of the same songs, in many cases. And it's true that the mono versions just seem to sound better to a lot of fans. Having a way-too-out-of-control Beatles record collection myself, I have heard a lot of different versions of their music, and think that the original British Parlophone mono 45's of some of their hits are still the best sounding (on record anyway).

Offline metaldams

I was originally skeptical about this whole reissue campaign, but on August 11th, I was one of the lucky ones who pre-ordered a mono box.  2 or 3 days later, amazon was sold out.  What sold me was youtube.  There's this guy called TheOneBeatle who posts all the Beatle songs in mono, and while I'm listening to these on crappy computer speakers, I can still tell significant differences in a lot of these mono mixes and I can't wait to get them on CD.  As a 15 year Beatle fan who has heard the stereo mixes of the latter stuff a zillion times, I can notice just about any change in mixes, and some of the monos do sound better.

As for the stereo releases, I'm either going to do one of two things: have a friend burn them for me or do a comaprison of the '87 releases with the remastered monos for the first four UK albums.  Remember, the first four albums in the '87 issues were in mono.  If I hear a significant difference in the remastering, I may go for the remastered stereos.  If not, I'll stick with my '87 copies for stereo releases.

To you guys who want the mono set but can't get a copy yet, my advice is to wait.  The damand seems very high right now and I'm sure you'll find a good deal if you're patient.  That said, the majority of the albums can fit stereo and mono mixes on one CD, so Capitol/EMI is no doubt milking us.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Thanks to all of ya'll (yeah, I'm from Alabama) for your encouragement.  I was really pissed that I had missed out.  If the demand remains high, maybe I'll have my grubby hands on a set by Christmas time.  Actually, that's what I wanted to do.  I wanted to put that on my Christmas list, but I didn't figure I'd be able to get one.

I guess EMI will keep making them, if we keep buying them.

Offline metaldams

Mono boxes available for pre-order again on Amazon.  3 - 6 weeks delivery time.
- Doug Sarnecky