Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 76058

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline Stooges#1

Just a heads up, Amazon have volume 7 for $17.49 currently. For quite a while, up until yesterday it was $21--. So maybe cancel your order and order it again because Amazon might change the price back to $21 before the set is released and therefore wont have to honor the pre order guarantee.

Offline dimelives

Don't they normally adjust your price to the cheapest it gets while you have it pre-ordered or something? Hmm. Well, I'm lookin' to get mine at Costco again (hopefully early again, at that!).

Offline vomit

Does anyone know how many pairs of 3D glasses will come with the DVD set?  I would like to be able to watch the 3D shorts with my boys.  Also, does anyone know what style of 3D glasses will be used????  See this for more information.......

http://www.amazon.com/tag/3d%20glasses

Just would like to know that I order the proper glasses.....Blatz for you all.
Specto Caelum!

Offline falsealarms

Offline thephotoplayer

Kind of a sneaky move by Sony... The preliminary box artwork showed magenta/green glasses rather than standard red/cyan glasses.  So if you want to buy more glasses (I'm sure there will be 2-4 sets in the DVD), you have to know a place to get them, or if my hunch is right, Sony will tell you that you can buy them through them (at a premium, natch).

But, maybe that original artwork was a snafu and there may be no problem at all!

Offline Smaug

Every 3D video I've ever bought had at least 2 sets of glasses.                                                                                                                   Didn't get "Journey to the Center of the Earth, but I think it used the magenta /green colorsinstead of red/cyan. Maybe this causes less eye strain or something.
This will have to do for now.....

Offline moglia

Received mine today  :) Never expected to have it this early!

Sticker on shrink-wrap states "3-D Glasses Inside" "Features Spooks and Pardon My Backfire in 3-D".  There are 2 pairs of glasses sandwiched in between the slimline DVD cases. The glasses are from Trioscopics, Magenta (Right Eye) and Green (Left Eye). Back of box indicates 1.85:1 and 1.33:1. Should be nice to watch some of the shorts in anamorphic.

Now to pop a Dramamine and watch Spooks in 3D, just in time for Halloween.

Offline falsealarms

Offline moglia

Where did you order from, moglia?

DVDPacific. Was already ordering another item so I tacked Vol 7 on for free shipping. Plus they always mail the second they receive at their warehouse. Was very surprised and delighted to receive on Oct 31

I've used the Amazon link provided on this site for 5 of the 7 volumes, just didn't work out for the last 2. Will use for my next non-stooge related purchase.

Just finished watching Spooks, the dramamine worked but I now have a background headache from the 3D. Overall worth it as I've been waiting since I was a kid in the mid-1980's to see it in 3D as was intended.  Maybe in few months I'll fire up Pardon My Backfire and add aspirin or advil to the dramamine. For those who can watch 3D without issue, I envy you a bit.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:37:09 PM by moglia »

Offline FineBari3

Please post your reviews of the 3-D stuff, if you get it! 

I am anxious to know what they look like on a big screen TV!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

Tuesday is quickly approaching, though not quickly enough. I'm more eager than usual to get my hands on this one as all but 3 or 4 are getting their initial DVD release. That is easily the most in any volume so far. Gents in a Jam, Tricky Dicks, and Goof on the Roof are as good as any Shemp effort -- not just in the 52-54 period, but throughout his tenure as a Stooge.

The first volume was special because it was nice to see the shorts finally getting the proper treatment. But this one, between the numerous hard-to-find shorts, widescreen, and 3D could be equally special.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Tuesday is quickly approaching, though not quickly enough. I'm more eager than usual to get my hands on this one as all but 3 or 4 are getting their initial DVD release. That is easily the most in any volume so far. Gents in a Jam, Tricky Dicks, and Goof on the Roof are as good as any Shemp effort -- not just in the 52-54 period, but throughout his tenure as a Stooge.

The first volume was special because it was nice to see the shorts finally getting the proper treatment. But this one, between the numerous hard-to-find shorts, widescreen, and 3D could be equally special.
I'm really jazzed for this one, too. I looked at a few stores yesterday to see if anyone broke street but no such luck. Looks like I'll still have to wait until Tuesday.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Stooges#1

Very happy. My volume 7 has shipped from Phoenix 10 minutes ago and is on its long trek to Australia, I got the quickest shipping so I should get it in 2-3 days.

Offline superstooge

Very happy. My volume 7 has shipped from Phoenix 10 minutes ago and is on its long trek to Australia, I got the quickest shipping so I should get it in 2-3 days.

Wow.  How much was shipping on that?   :o
Oh, taking me illiterately, ey?

Offline Stooges#1

Wow.  How much was shipping on that?   :o

All I know is the entire price as I made the order with a PS3 game and they're shipping seperately. I bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 which for some reason is shipping on the 12th (2 days after release, maybe because they're in high demand).

My entire order came to $115 Australian, the Stooges set isnt available in Australia (Probably ever, believe it or not) and MW2 would sell for $90-120 in Australia depending on what stores are close by (Definitely $90 at a minimum) so I one of the cheapest price I could find, with the most expensive shipping. I would never buy *one* thing on Amazon.com with the quickest shipping, I would balance it out with something else, as the shipping would probably come to $40 just for one item.   

Offline falsealarms

I picked mine up today -- the store hadn't even put it on the shelf yet. Watching some of these shorts in widescreen is different especially if you're watching on a non-widescreen device (i.e computer monitor). When I put them on my widescreen TV, I didn't get any black bars. So used to seeing all the shorts in full screen, but it's good we're seeing them like this. I never thought we would.

First short I watched was Goof on the Roof, which was every bit the classic I remember it being. I browsed a few of the others -- some of these I haven't seen in so long it will be like watching for the first time.

By the way, there are TWO pairs of 3D glasses included.

Offline Justin T

I went to my local Wall Mart around 1:00 today and I'm glad I did, because they only had 3 copies
of Volume 7 left on the shelf!

I'm glad there are 2 pairs of 3-D Glasses that come with it, so someone can watch them with you  [pie]

Don't know which short to start with, but i'm definatly going to check out Spooks in 3D.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

Got mine today during my lunch break. Can't wait to get home and watch it.

Offline superstooge

Mine was in the mail from Amazon.  Watched a few during lunch.  They look good!
Oh, taking me illiterately, ey?

Offline moglia

I've had mine for nearly 2 weeks already ;D, when is volume 8.

I am curious to know what others think about the 3D

xraffle

Just watched about five minutes of both. They look great. For some reason, the 3D effect is much better on my 32" flat screen TV than on my old 27" tube.

Didn't notice any music clippings on this volume and all shorts look fantastic. So I guess only one more volume to go?

ThumpTheShoes

The transfers look consistently outstanding, as with all the previous volumes. In Spooks!, you can even see a fly buzzing around the studio as Moe suggests the Pie Demonstration routine.

Similarly, the transfer of Pardon My Backfire is so pristine, the ol' wire-up-the-nose gag is somewhat betrayed as a crude special effect. Who knew?! I thought they really shoved a wire up his nose!   ::)

These are not complaints, mind you. Simply, revelations.

The widescreen framing can be problematic-- at the worst, perhaps, just cramped. Check out Moe having a
"cheese" sandwich in Goof on the Roof (the second shot where he's actually drinking the vinegar). The full-frame shot already has headroom issues and looks artificially zoomed in, and the widescreen matting seems to close in the field of view even more.

Based on some quick comparisons with other full frame transfers, it looks like (in some cases) a teeny bit more horizontal image information is present in the new widescreen copies. I'd guess that some shots, particularly when all 3 Stooges are in frame, were more carefully planned than others.

I certainly haven't watched all the shorts but, so far, there's been no evidence of tampering or tweaking in this collection. Scotched in Scotland does not exhibit the same audio pitch-correction as its predecessor, The Hot Scots. Thankfully!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Picked up mine at the local best buy for 20 bucks, had a bit of a problem finding it in the store as I was not sure to look in comedy, in TV etc.  Finally found it in the cartoon? section.  They had plenty of each volume including about 10 copies of volume 7.  Probably because of the dumb location they had it in.  But then again, "They are morons tried and true, they will stock the DVD's in the wrong place for you"

Robin

Offline Justin T

I just got done watching the 3D version of Spooks! and it was alot of fun! I recoiled a few times
when stuff just came right out of the screen at me. I was watching on a old tv so sometimes it seemed
fuzzy despite having the glasses on. Still, I really enjoyed being able to watch this short for the first time
in 3D.

Now to dive back into other shorts in this volume
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"