Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 76075

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline archiezappa

One thing's for sure.  As popular as these sets are now, we can rest assured that The Three Stooges will be on the next upcoming video format.

xraffle

One thing's for sure.  As popular as these sets are now, we can rest assured that The Three Stooges will be on the next upcoming video format.

And even if they aren't, you can still rest assured because Blu-ray players are backwards compatible.

Offline moglia

WRONG !!!  IT IS NOT the source material - it is the transfer of said source material - the storage thereof - the remastering or lack thereof that is the problem

look at the recent release of i think it was GLADIATOR and the picture was horrible because they were using an old transfer from tears ago that was made for DVD (with edge enhancement) and not a new transfer where that is not needed.

if you use 35mm film of the stooges from 1939 or a 2000 year new 35mm film of a movie made then  as the source for a blu-ray transfer with no remastering then what you will get (no matter the age, no matter the quality of the film, no matter the storage of the film) a poor transfer / poor picture quality.

IF you take any film (no matter the year was made) and remaster it with blu-ray in mind (of course scrathes and splits are diffrent animals) then you will have a stunning movie

so no xraffle is is not the source material - it is how the remastering is done or not done

Actually not the remastering. What needs to be kept in mind is that 35mm film or greater is the original HD. In fact even Blu-Ray is not capable of delivering true 35mm quality, depending on length of film of course.  Most important for Blu-Ray when using older films is condition of the source material and restoration if needed. Remastering usually involves crap like Digital Noise Reduction and Edge Enhancement amongst other amateur hacks that more time than not "rob films of grain and detail in favor of an artificial digital look".

When all is said and done remastering is a marketing term, all that is usually needed for b/w film is proper restoration, contrast/brightness adjustments, and a quality film to digital transfer. However restoration takes time (in some cases frame by frame), money and effort by professionals, while remastering can be done by some low paid kid out of college at a computer workstation.

Offline tvradio

Actually not the remastering. What needs to be kept in mind is that 35mm film or greater is the original HD. In fact even Blu-Ray is not capable of delivering true 35mm quality, depending on length of film of course.  Most important for Blu-Ray when using older films is condition of the source material and restoration if needed. Remastering usually involves crap like Digital Noise Reduction and Edge Enhancement amongst other amateur hacks that more time than not "rob films of grain and detail in favor of an artificial digital look".

When all is said and done remastering is a marketing term, all that is usually needed for b/w film is proper restoration, contrast/brightness adjustments, and a quality film to digital transfer. However restoration takes time (in some cases frame by frame), money and effort by professionals, while remastering can be done by some low paid kid out of college at a computer workstation.

The reason you see edge enhancement on blu-rays is because the production company is re-using an old transfer that was used for the dvd - they were too cheap to do a new transfer that uses a fresh transfer - because with blu-ray edge enhancement is not needed - the edge enhancement is a dvd centric tool.

and dnr is horrible - the production companies think people will freak out when they see more grain on blu-ray than they did on dvd. the more grain happens because with blu-ray 1080p and resolutions beyond that you can see more of the source material and film is inherently grainy.

one thing you are correct on is restoration is what needs to be done not remastering, i was misusing the term in my previous posts.

Offline Smaug

Has anyone thought about this? In the new DVDs, the "gag" strings and such are very visible, at times ruining the effect.

Wouldn't this be even more pronounced in hi def? Or whoever does the transfer has to digitally edit those out?

Yea, let's get George Lucas to "special edit" the Stooges.

Cleaning the scratches and dust is enough.....

xraffle

Speaking of classic films in HD, does anyone know how "Casablanca" looks on Blu-ray? I heard they're coming out with a single-disc next week for a cheaper price.

Offline archiezappa

Yea, let's get George Lucas to "special edit" the Stooges.

Oh yeah.  Then, he can "claim" that this was what they originally wanted the films to look like.  He may even write a 3 part prequel to explain why Curly gets replaced by Shemp, why Besser even got involved, and why Curly-Joe didn't have an original name, but copied the others and combined them.

Also, all of the special effects would be redone.  And, more films will be made, just so they can completely ruin the original ones.  And they'll also be loaded with special features!  Of course, 90% of those are boring interviews with George himself. 

May the force be with you!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Speaking of classic films in HD, does anyone know how "Casablanca" looks on Blu-ray? I heard they're coming out with a single-disc next week for a cheaper price.
Very good. Given that the film has been upkept over the seas it should come as no surprise.

And I don't understand how some fucking troll like tvradio can just rape this thread with 3 pages of reply after reply of himself. Where's shemps#1??
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline tvradio

the one disc blu-ray lacks some of the special features the gift set dif. if you would have been watching amazon this week, they sold the blu-ray gift set for 1 day for 28.99 - and i am sure they will again

Offline tvradio

Very good. Given that the film has been upkept over the seas it should come as no surprise.

And I don't understand how some fucking troll like tvradio can just rape this thread with 3 pages of reply after reply of himself. Where's shemps#1??

I am no troll and I am not raping this thread - i want to respond therefore I can. You sir should get a vacation from the board for hurling an insult like that

Offline JekyllHyde

Mike S, the guy connected with Sony, has posted over to the Classic Horror Fim Board that the solo shorts will be coming out and to be patient.

Offline tvradio

Mike S, the guy connected with Sony, has posted over to the Classic Horror Fim Board that the solo shorts will be coming out and to be patient.

post a link

xraffle

He's been quiet lately, so I suspect he's busy. Looks like the banning is up to Dunrobin or Metaldams if they feel the situation is getting out of hand.

Offline metaldams

He's been quiet lately, so I suspect he's busy. Looks like it's up to Dunrobin or Metaldams to do the banning if they feeling the situation is getting out of hand.

Well, Rob started an off-shoot thread on Blu-Ray and while technology in general bores me on a personal level, I don't think TvRadio is doing anything wrong.  He's certainly getting enough responses.  With all due respect guys, please leave the moderating to the moderators.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Well, Rob started an off-shoot thread on Blu-Ray and while technology in general bores me on a personal level, I don't think TvRadio is doing anything wrong.  He's certainly getting enough responses.  With all due respect guys, please leave the moderating to the moderators.

No problem. That is why I said the banning is up to you guys if you feel things are getting out of hand.

Offline archiezappa

Awesome!   ;D

Offline metaldams

Awesome!   ;D

About the solo shorts, it'd be awesome indeed.

Gotta give you guys warning.  Joe Derita's JITTER BUGHOUSE is worse than every Besser Stooge short, no exaggeration.  Lame musical numbers and Derita himself has zero comic persona and no Moe and Larry to lean on.  Not even Christine McIntyre and Emil Sitka can save this one.

That said, all the solo Shemp shorts I've seen are pleasant and even the solo Besser shorts have their moments.

If this set does get a release, I hope there'll be interest in discussing the shorts artistically more so than the packaging.  I assume most of us haven't seen the majority of these before, myself included.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

the one disc blu-ray lacks some of the special features the gift set dif. if you would have been watching amazon this week, they sold the blu-ray gift set for 1 day for 28.99 - and i am sure they will again

I'm not really interested on all those extras. Just the movie in HD will be enough to make me happy.

Offline archiezappa

Gotta give you guys warning.  Joe Derita's JITTER BUGHOUSE is worse than every Besser Stooge short, no exaggeration.  Lame musical numbers and Derita himself has zero comic persona and no Moe and Larry to lean on.  Not even Christine McIntyre and Emil Sitka can save this one.

That said, all the solo Shemp shorts I've seen are pleasant and even the solo Besser shorts have their moments.

If this set does get a release, I hope there'll be interest in discussing the shorts artistically more so than the packaging.  I assume most of us haven't seen the majority of these before, myself included.

I've never seen any of Joe Besser's or Joe DeRita's solo Columbia shorts.  However, I've seen several of Shemp's and those are hilarious!  It will be a great set, indeed.  I'll be interested in discussing them from an artistic standpoint.  It'll be interesting to see some more non-Stooges Columbia shorts.  I'd personally like to see every Columbia short subject released (wasn't there like 500 or so?).  This will definitely be a step in the right direction. 

Where would we go from there?  How about that Charley Chase collection of Columbia shorts?  Or some more shorts from other actors?  That would really be awesome.

Offline metaldams

I've never seen any of Joe Besser's or Joe DeRita's solo Columbia shorts.  However, I've seen several of Shemp's and those are hilarious!  It will be a great set, indeed.  I'll be interested in discussing them from an artistic standpoint.  It'll be interesting to see some more non-Stooges Columbia shorts.  I'd personally like to see every Columbia short subject released (wasn't there like 500 or so?).  This will definitely be a step in the right direction. 

Where would we go from there?  How about that Charley Chase collection of Columbia shorts?  Or some more shorts from other actors?  That would really be awesome.

Unfortunately, I think some of the Columbia shorts are lost, so I don't think we'll see all of them.

As far as where to go next, Charley Chase and Harry Langdon are the obvious choices.  If we get that lucky, I guess Andy Clyde would be next, but he's a long shot.  The Stooges and Keaton are the obvious choices, and they're already released.

If you guys haven't done so already, check out Harry Langdon's  "Cold Turkey," which 2Reelers has graciosuly posted on youtube.  It's a classic in my mind.

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2795.0
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Is Jitter Bughouse the one with the strange swing/rockibilly band?  I recall seeing a DeRita short at the Fan Club Meeting last year, and I thought it was great!  (Although the Yuenglings might have affected my judgement by then!)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline thephotoplayer

Lost?  I thought the survival rate of their sound shorts was quite high, since they were in constant circulation.  The problem, particularly with some of the Stooges, is that the original negatives were used so many times that many of them got worn.  Luckily, based on what they look like on DVD, original elements are not lost.

Fortunately, not only has Sony gotten aggressive with preserving and transferring their elements (my source says they've actually got transfers on all of the sound comedy shorts), they've been striking new 35mm prints of them for festivals.  When I was at a lab several years ago, I saw they were printing up NERVOUS SHAKEDOWN, and it warmed my heart knowing that Dudley and Hugh Herbert would be on the screen once again!

Last month, the Capitol Theatre in Rome, NY ran as part of their Capitolfest line-up a new print of the Charley Chase short, THE AWFUL GOOF.  It had a great audience reaction, but it was a stunner of a print.  Sharp, with good, solid blacks, just like the old days.  I wish more people could see these shorts this way.

The bottom of the barrel are the solo Besser shorts.  They consist entirely of fat jokes, usually at the liberty of actors that are morbidly obese and seem to have genuine glandular problems.

Offline archiezappa

Joe Besser is always at the bottom of the barrel.  But I still want to see them.  That way, we can discuss them.  How do you know what's good, if you've never seen something bad?

Offline metaldams

Lost?  I thought the survival rate of their sound shorts was quite high, since they were in constant circulation.  The problem, particularly with some of the Stooges, is that the original negatives were used so many times that many of them got worn.  Luckily, based on what they look like on DVD, original elements are not lost.

I don't think there's a 100% survival rate unless if things have changed from the mid-80's.  I know in the COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS book it was mentioned several shorts were unavialable for viewing.  I was also under the impression the musical series to which WOMAN HATERS initially belonged to is mostly lost, but I could be wrong.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I don't think there's a 100% survival rate unless if things have changed from the mid-80's.  I know in the COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS book it was mentioned several shorts were unavialable for viewing.  I was also under the impression the musical series to which WOMAN HATERS initially belonged to is mostly lost, but I could be wrong.

I wonder what they meant by "unavailable for viewing."  Perhaps it's because they haven't been shown and not because the masters are missing.  I guess I'm just hoping.