Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 74360

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline archiezappa

I like the idea of a final 3 disc set of shorts.  With 2 in a double slimline case and the other one in a single slimline case will make this set match the others.  But I was wondering.  How would they go about releasing the solo shorts?  Perhaps as bonus material on the possible reissues of the feature films?  Or on their own set?  That would be cool, too.  What would be the best way to release the solo shorts?

Offline dimelives

The solo shorts WOULD be cool, but I say leave 'em to sets of their own. I've grown to like these plain-Jane sets with JUST the shorts and nothing else. Don't think they should change up the conformity at the last moment. Start up a new line with the solos (if they're gonna do 'em at all). That's my thoughts at least.

Offline archiezappa

The solo shorts WOULD be cool, but I say leave 'em to sets of their own. I've grown to like these plain-Jane sets with JUST the shorts and nothing else. Don't think they should change up the conformity at the last moment. Start up a new line with the solos (if they're gonna do 'em at all). That's my thoughts at least.

I totally agree.  I remember when these sets first started coming out, I told my brother that there were no special features.  He said "they don't need any."  Which is right.  All we really need is the shorts.  The Three Stooges Collection should be just that:  The Three Stooges shorts.  The other shorts should be released separately.  A set of Shemp Howard shorts would be good.  Not sure what to do with the Joe Besser shorts.  The Joe DeRita shorts would be good as bonus features on the Three Stooges feature films, which star him.  Maybe the Joe Besser shorts could go there, too, even though they're unrelated.

Offline tvradio

IF they never intended to release them on BLU-RAY they would have never have remastered them in 1080p

xraffle

IF they never intended to release them on BLU-RAY they would have never have remastered them in 1080p

LOL, in almost every one of these threads that discuss about the chronological sets, we always manage to bring up the Blu-ray topic. But since we’re on that topic now, what the hey!

What makes me doubt that Sony will ever release these stooges sets on Blu-ray is because of two reasons: the source material and the Blu-ray format. The source is old and I really don’t think it will look that much better in HD. I could be wrong, but that’s just what I think. Also, the Blu-ray format is buggy. I bought my first Blu-ray player a few months ago when Amazon had a killer deal, which I couldn’t resist. I love the format, but it has more bugs than DVDs. This is due to the constant changing of the Blu-ray specs. And from the looks of it, I think it will just keep on changing, which is why Blu-ray players need constant firmware updates. So, the format is still not stable, as of now (three years into the format) and probably never will be. The only Blu-ray player out there that’s 100% flawless in playing Blu-rays is the PS3 because Sony is very prompt when it comes to releasing firmware updates for that console. Standalone players still struggle with certain titles because they’re always behind with their updates. So, I really don't see how this format is going to survive.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I think a solo shorts set would work , just called it some thing like Solo Stooges . :)  

Offline archiezappa

I think a solo shorts set would work , just called it some thing like Solo Stooges . :)  

Yeah.  We could have the following:

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume Eight: 1955-1959

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume Nine: The Solo Stooges

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume Ten: The Feature Films

Offline thephotoplayer

Just a few additions and corrections...

Both 3D shorts were originally shown in a Polaroid presentation, not the red/blue anaglyph.  What you're seeing on the video here is a conversion to that format.  Seeing one of the shorts "flat" simply means that they transferred one "eye" (3D was projected with two strips of film, one with a left eye view, and one with a right eye view).  SPOOKS! was originally sepia-toned, not for any aesthetic reason, but for a technical nature (as was MAN IN THE DARK, the film it went out with).

I don't know in which order the shorts were shot, but in release order, SPOOKS! is actually the first wide-screen Stooge short (as is everything onward from that point).  For the remake shorts, much of the footage from older shorts that was incorporated were medium and long shots, which you can "get away" with when cropping them.  When they had the opportunities (ie. when Shemp or Curly weren't in the shot), White seems to have shot new re-composed close-ups with Larry and Moe to compensate for the wide-screen cropping.

The widescreen presentations, in my opinion, are almost a necessity, particularly in later shorts where no care was given to things falling just outside of the 1.85 frame, such as boom mics, and edges of sets, etc.  In SPOOKS! for example, the opening joke is totally ruined in an open matte transfer when in the full frame you can read the punch-line painted on the door before the camera pans down.

Offline archiezappa

Sepia?  I never thought of the Stooges shorts being anything other than black and white.  But, then again, I've never seen the 3-D versions of "Spooks" or "Pardon My Backfire."

So, from "Spooks" onward, they're all widescreen?  That's cool.   [cool]

Offline thephotoplayer

Since sepia-tone is something that's applied to a black and white print, it's sort of "lost for the ages" information, unless you're seeing an original print.  Here's a scan of a frame from an original sepia-toned print (also 1.85):

Offline archiezappa

Whoa!  Interesting screen shot.  I never knew about sepia tone.  Interesting to see the wide screen, too.

Offline metaldams

To ThePhotoPlayer;

TServo from the old Harold Lloyd board, right?  Welcome aboard!  Interesting there's a joke in SPOOKS! lost in widescreen, I did not know that.  Please stick around, you know your stuff.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

To ThePhotoPlayer;

TServo from the old Harold Lloyd board, right?  Welcome aboard!  Interesting there's a joke in SPOOKS! lost in widescreen, I did not know that.  Please stick around, you know your stuff.

Cool! Lots of Harold Lloyd fans here!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline tvradio

Just a few additions and corrections...

Both 3D shorts were originally shown in a Polaroid presentation, not the red/blue anaglyph.  What you're seeing on the video here is a conversion to that format.  Seeing one of the shorts "flat" simply means that they transferred one "eye" (3D was projected with two strips of film, one with a left eye view, and one with a right eye view).  SPOOKS! was originally sepia-toned, not for any aesthetic reason, but for a technical nature (as was MAN IN THE DARK, the film it went out with).

I don't know in which order the shorts were shot, but in release order, SPOOKS! is actually the first wide-screen Stooge short (as is everything onward from that point).  For the remake shorts, much of the footage from older shorts that was incorporated were medium and long shots, which you can "get away" with when cropping them.  When they had the opportunities (ie. when Shemp or Curly weren't in the shot), White seems to have shot new re-composed close-ups with Larry and Moe to compensate for the wide-screen cropping.

The widescreen presentations, in my opinion, are almost a necessity, particularly in later shorts where no care was given to things falling just outside of the 1.85 frame, such as boom mics, and edges of sets, etc.  In SPOOKS! for example, the opening joke is totally ruined in an open matte transfer when in the full frame you can read the punch-line painted on the door before the camera pans down.

cropping is never right

Offline tvradio

LOL, in almost every one of these threads that discuss about the chronological sets, we always manage to bring up the Blu-ray topic. But since we’re on that topic now, what the hey!

What makes me doubt that Sony will ever release these stooges sets on Blu-ray is because of two reasons: the source material and the Blu-ray format. The source is old and I really don’t think it will look that much better in HD. I could be wrong, but that’s just what I think. Also, the Blu-ray format is buggy. I bought my first Blu-ray player a few months ago when Amazon had a killer deal, which I couldn’t resist. I love the format, but it has more bugs than DVDs. This is due to the constant changing of the Blu-ray specs. And from the looks of it, I think it will just keep on changing, which is why Blu-ray players need constant firmware updates. So, the format is still not stable, as of now (three years into the format) and probably never will be. The only Blu-ray player out there that’s 100% flawless in playing Blu-rays is the PS3 because Sony is very prompt when it comes to releasing firmware updates for that console. Standalone players still struggle with certain titles because they’re always behind with their updates. So, I really don't see how this format is going to survive.

LOL - you claim because of source age and the source material is reason BLU-RAY will not be released? YOU are funny, you should be a comedian !!!!

Clerks shot on even cheaper source material is coming on BLU-RAY

Movies that are even older than the stooges are on and coming on BLU-RAY

The material will look 10 times crisper on BLU-RAY - because you will have more lines of resolution

Offline archiezappa

LOL - you claim because of source age and the source material is reason BLU-RAY will not be released? YOU are funny, you should be a comedian !!!!

The material will look 10 times crisper on BLU-RAY - because you will have more lines of resolution

Hmm.  I never thought of that.

Offline thephotoplayer

cropping is never right

Sure, when it's not the director's intention.  But I've not seen anything here to indicate it was anything *but* the director's intention to crop these shorts.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Watching these new DVDs unconverted would be just as good as a Blu-ray transfer given the source material.

You should be a comedian.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Rich Finegan

thephotoplayer:
Good to see you here, Jack!
Looking forward to more of your knowledgeable contributions.

Offline moglia

cropping is never right

There are no absolutes with film, other than using DNR on DVD''s always sucks :(

Sure, when it's not the director's intention.  But I've not seen anything here to indicate it was anything *but* the director's intention to crop these shorts.

Correct. I want these shorts on DVD they way they original appeared in theaters not what may or may not be present on the "master" rolls.

Offline archiezappa

Correct. I want these shorts on DVD they way they original appeared in theaters not what may or may not be present on the "master" rolls.

What I'd like to have is the option to watch them in either full screen or wide screen.  We should be able to choose.  If Sony puts both versions on the DVD, we can watch whichever one we want.  Wouldn't that make sense?

xraffle

Wow! We always manage to have people that obsess over seeing the stooges on Blu-ray. Does the Blu-ray spammer have friends or relatives that join here or something? Anyway, enough Blu-ray talk. I'm not going to prolong this discussion. Let's continue discussing Volume 7.

Offline tvradio

Watching these new DVDs unconverted would be just as good as a Blu-ray transfer given the source material.

You should be a comedian.

When the Blu-Ray's come out watch the DVD unconverted then watch the full Blu-Ray an there will be a huge change.

I will give you an example, remember how the stooges looked on VHS then on DVD ?

That big of a leap will occur when you see it on DVD then Blu-RAY