Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 74174

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline moglia

About the sales::

"Believe it or not, the Stooge compilations sell so well that they are not considered "catalog" but are lumped in with new pictures, so my involvement with them is quite limited." - Mike S. from Sony

I've read similar. I do not understand why some on this forum believe sales are low. The Stooges always made a ton of money for Columbia (even if they were told otherwise), and now Sony, this is something that not changed.

People Sony is not in the charity business. They are doing this series like everything else they produce, strictly for the money $$$.$$, and since that is coming in - so will the final volume(s). After that probably to Blue-Ray so most of us have to buy 'em all over again.

Offline archiezappa

I'm so excited about this coming volume!  Totally awesome, of course.  One thing I had not thought about was the widescreen stuff.  I never thought about it before, but all of the Joe Besser shorts are in widescreen.  I guess you need it, since he's so fat!  (Fatscreen?)  Anyway, talk about selling points!  3-D shorts.  Widescreen shorts.  3-D glasses included.  Some shorts new to DVD.  Some shorts new to home video.  But the biggest selling point is it's The Three Stooges!

After that probably to Blue-Ray so most of us have to buy 'em all over again.

Blue-Ray?  Are we still talking about that?  Are you kidding me?

xraffle

After that probably to Blue-Ray so most of us have to buy 'em all over again.

Blue-Ray?  Are we still talking about that?  Are you kidding me?

Well, you never know. Now that the cheaper PS3 Slim is out, Sony may have plans to release it on Blu-ray. But regardless of the picture quality improvement, I will not upgrade anymore. I've done that enough with the stooges.

Offline archiezappa

Well, you never know. Now that the cheaper PS3 Slim is out, Sony may have plans to release it on Blu-ray. But regardless of the picture quality improvement, I will not upgrade anymore. I've done that enough with the stooges.

Agreed. 

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Wow, This is great news about the 3D shorts and great that they start disc 2 off.  (guess which disc gets watched first?) So many great Shemps on here, Corny Casanovas, Goof On The Roof, Scotched in Scotland, actually too many great shorts to mention fully.   Great cover, hope thats the final version,  3D and 2D versions, Widescreen and Fullscreen availibility.   C'mon November 10th!

Robin

Offline archiezappa

One of my all-time favorite shorts makes its debut with this set:  "Tricky Dicks."  That's one of my favorites!  It's probably my favorite Shemp short.  Right up there with "I'm A Monkey's Uncle."  Also, "Pardon My Backfire" was one of my favorites.  It'll be great to see it in 3-D!  So many great things about this set!

Offline luke795

Does anyone know how many Shemp shorts are in widescreen?
What Shemp shorts are in widescreen on the vol. 7 set?

Offline moglia

Agreed. 

As for me I'd pre-order them on Blu-Ray today if I could, even though Moe and Larry will look scary in HD on the later shorts.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Does anyone know how many Shemp shorts are in widescreen?
What Shemp shorts are in widescreen on the vol. 7 set?

Beginning with production of GOOF ON THE ROOF (1953), the Stooges' shorts were composed for 1.85 widescreen; they were shot in open-matte (as we've seen them on TV for past 5 decades), but composed for widescreen presentation. 

The nine shorts will be the last nine produced, not necessarily the last nine in release order.

Offline FineBari3

Beginning with production of GOOF ON THE ROOF (1953), the Stooges' shorts were composed for 1.85 widescreen; they were shot in open-matte (as we've seen them on TV for past 5 decades), but composed for widescreen presentation. 

The nine shorts will be the last nine produced, not necessarily the last nine in release order.

Brent, does that mean that they will have the 'bars' at the top and bottom of the screen?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Brent, does that mean that they will have the 'bars' at the top and bottom of the screen?

If you don't have a widescreen TV, yes.

xraffle

If you don't have a widescreen TV, yes.

That is, assuming they will be anamorphic. I trust Sony will enhance them for widescreen TVs since they did that with the Curly-Joe movies.

Offline busybuddy

Are the remakes Widescreen too? How did they get the old footage to match up if it wasn't shot in 1.85 widescreen?
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline tvradio

Watch the shorts on 2 tv's side by side and once you see the quality difference - you would upgrade

Also when they are showing the recycled footage during a ws short - will the recycled footage be oar 1.33 or will the crop it for 1.85 ?

hopefully they keep it oar even thought will look odd going between aspect rations in a single short

xraffle

Watch the shorts on 2 tv's side by side and once you see the quality difference - you would upgrade

I have a widescreen TV and love it. That's why I hope the widescreen shorts will be Enhanced for 16x9 TVs or else we'll get a terrible looking picture.

Also when they are showing the recycled footage during a ws short - will the recycled footage be oar 1.33 or will the crop it for 1.85 ?

See BeAStooge's post above. Everything was filmed as 4:3, but was cropped for a widescreen presentation.

Offline tvradio

if the recycled parts of the shorts that are inserted into the new shorts are cropped then we will loose part of the picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all parts need to be in the original aspect ratio  1.33 for that part and 1.85 for the ws parts  even if in the same short

Offline HELLOLARRY

I would think that when Columbia originally released the films to theatres in 'widescreen' they took the newer aspect ratios into account with the older footage. I don't know much about it, just my thoughts.

Regarding the old VHS tapes.  Years ago, I went through all of my VHS tapes between what was released by Columbia and what I recorded off of TV (the shorts were the newer 'cleaner' versions so they looked great) and put together a set for myself on DVD in chronological order.  It's worked out quite well because as these new sets are being released, I've just been getting rid of the DVDs I burned.  Once I was all done with the project, I took all my pre-recorded VHS tapes, split them up, and donated some to a nursing home and the rest to a thrift store that supported local charities. 

These sets have been great but of course my fear is going to be the 'complete series' set once all the individual sets are done which will include a bonus disc or two of solo Stooges and Time Out For Rhythm (which is my favorite of their early feature film appearances) [3stooges].  Again, just my thoughts but I see this done all the time with TV shows so why not these Stooges shorts?

Offline superstooge

if the recycled parts of the shorts that are inserted into the new shorts are cropped then we will loose part of the picture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all parts need to be in the original aspect ratio  1.33 for that part and 1.85 for the ws parts  even if in the same short

I think it would be whatever was in the original release (of the remake, that is).  So if it was cropped then, it would be cropped now.  No big deal to me.  I like it when they keep them as originally released instead of trying to "fix" things.  Other than the picture quality of course.  ;)
Oh, taking me illiterately, ey?

Offline dimelives

Yeah, how long before release does the official artwork usually release for these sets?...

Offline Justin T

This is awesome news, I know alot of fans wanted to have Spooks and Pardon My Backfire in both
2D and 3D, looks like the wish will be granted.

Looking foward to November
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

It seems that with every new set that's released, I'm more excited about it.  Every set has something unique to offer.  This set, especially.  The 3-D shorts are something we all had hoped for.  But the widescreen versions of the shorts was something I never really thought about.  I actually surprised my brother with that news, especially.  I never realized it, but all of the shorts with Joe Besser are in widescreen.  That's something you can't say about Shemp or Curly.  So, that's a unique feature to his episodes.  Granted, with his weight, they did need them to be in widescreen... ;D

Offline locoboymakesgood

I like a good chunk of the remakes, and the fact that I've never seen Pardon My Backfire in 3D and haven't seen Spooks! in 3D since the 80s really makes me happy. I'm even more stoked that we're getting these in their OAR!

Sony is really pulling out all the stops and man am I happy. I wonder if they're asking themselves "Why didn't we do this years ago?"

It'll be weird seeing all of the Besser's in widescreen. That's for sure.

I hope the inevitable boxset includes the Besser, Shemp, and DeRita solos as a bonus. I've seen some of the Shemps and one of the DeRitas but I've never seen any of the Bessers.

To think 2 years ago we didn't even have Vol. 1 yet, and now, the next volume is going to wrap up all 190 shorts! Absolutely amazing.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

I like a good chunk of the remakes, and the fact that I've never seen Pardon My Backfire in 3D and haven't seen Spooks! in 3D since the 80s really makes me happy. I'm even more stoked that we're getting these in their OAR!

Sony is really pulling out all the stops and man am I happy. I wonder if they're asking themselves "Why didn't we do this years ago?"

It'll be weird seeing all of the Besser's in widescreen. That's for sure.

I hope the inevitable boxset includes the Besser, Shemp, and DeRita solos as a bonus. I've seen some of the Shemps and one of the DeRitas but I've never seen any of the Bessers.

To think 2 years ago we didn't even have Vol. 1 yet, and now, the next volume is going to wrap up all 190 shorts! Absolutely amazing.

They must be kicking themselves over not doing this before!  The DVD sets that they had been issuing (not including the color ones) were kinda dumb.  Grouping them by theme?  C'mon, whose idea was this?  I never bought any of those, because I had so many of the vhs tapes and the DVD's showed no signs of improvement.  I'm glad they finally got it right.

It will be weird seeing several Shemp shorts and all of the Besser shorts in widescreen.  Amazing!

I also hope that we get a volume with the Columbia shorts starring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita.  That will be a real treat.  And a great way to close off this series.  Well, with the exception of a box set of the features.  I'm still hoping for that one, too.

Yes, two years ago, I never thought we'd be where we are now.  Totally awesome!   [cool]

Offline metaldams

I just hope they don't release a box set with all the volumes plus a bonus DVD with solo shorts exclusive to the box set.  That would piss me off to no end.

Then again, they may release the Derita features with solo shorts as a bonus.  There are several different routes they can go.
- Doug Sarnecky