Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

BeAStooge · 308 · 73557

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Vol. 7 1952-1954: November 10, 2009 - November 16, 2009

Offline Smaug

I believe the 3-D version without the glasses would appear rather blurry, since there are red and blue versions of the scene that are slightly out of sync, which is what gives you the 3-D effect with the glasses.  (I remember trying to read a "3-D" comic book years ago without the glasses, and it gave me a headache.)
Go back to the beginning of this thread, posted Spooks in 'blurry' 3D. Kinda like a projection TV with bad convergence. And those glasses look like cyan and magenta (or whatever) as opposed to traditional red/blue.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm really surprised Sony is including them in 3D. That would lead me to believe that they'll be putting these in their proper AR since isn't this the set when the shorts turned to Widescreen?

I also wonder if they'll include 2D and 3D versions..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The owner/webmaster at Home Theater Forum posted the following at that site...

The 3D shorts are being released in 3D and 2D on the set.

The 1.85 shorts are 1.85

There are plans for only one more volume of shorts, at the moment, which will cover all the remaining Three Stooges shorts in Volume 8.

Sony's press release is expected very soon; any additional details on OAR will probably be reported.

Offline dimelives

Why is there a picture from "Sing a Song of Six Pants" on the cover?... On the right side, just below the "ClassicFlix" mark, where Shemp and Moe are looking at "TH" on the coat... Isn't that from that short?... And look at the rainbox effect on Shemp's coat in the upper picture. And what is that little blue mark up in the left corner of the box? I'd hope to have the new artwork, but I'm just detecting a few tidbits pointing toward fakery... Can someone belay my concerns?

And I can't wait to see the press release and find out what they plan to do for the last remaining shorts! Would be interesting if they put the rest of them on one more volume, and didn't include any solo shorts (which I think I'd prefer on these sets), though I don't want a fat volume (if there ARE that many shorts left) looking awkward in the set.

Offline metaldams

Why is there a picture from "Sing a Song of Six Pants" on the cover?... On the right side, just below the "ClassicFlix" mark, where Shemp and Moe are looking at "TH" on the coat... Isn't that from that short?...

Probably from the remake, "Rip, Sew, and Stitch."

So it begins!   :D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Smaug

Would be interesting if they put the rest of them on one more volume, and didn't include any solo shorts (which I think I'd prefer on these sets), though I don't want a fat volume (if there ARE that many shorts left) looking awkward in the set.

Well it is the THREE Stooges, it really wouldn't benefit Sony to add the solo stuff (finacially, that is). Maybe in another release as solo only, or just Shemp only (I'd buy that for a dollar).

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Can someone belay my concerns?

If you take a moment to utilize the ClassicFlix link I provided above, you would know that the site scanned/cropped the box art from a solicitation flyer.  Sony will release finished box art image files soon.

More than half of the 1953 - 1954 shorts are stock footage remakes... see 'metaldams' response to your question.

So it begins!

Yep.  I thought the same thing earlier today.  10 weeks of this to look forward to.

Offline archiezappa

This is awesome!  Sony hasn't failed us yet!  Looks like they do read these message boards after all.  One more set after this one?  That would suit me.  One set that finishes Shemp and Joe.  31 shorts left, that would be a nice 3 disc set.  I can't wait to get this new set!  I also can't wait to see how they finish up the series.

xraffle

(I remember trying to read a "3-D" comic book years ago without the glasses, and it gave me a headache.)

That's precisely why I want a 2D version included as well.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 3D versions. Yeah, it may be fun watching it a couple of times, but after that, I'd rather watch the shorts in 2D without the glasses.

xraffle

The 3D shorts are being released in 3D and 2D on the set.

The 1.85 shorts are 1.85

There are plans for only one more volume of shorts, at the moment, which will cover all the remaining Three Stooges shorts in Volume 8.

That's good to hear that the 3D shorts will include 2 versions.

Looks like we might get a thick final set, which will cover the final 32 shorts. While some people here may not be too thrilled about the inconsistent, packaging, I am very happy about it. As long as the shorts look good, I'm satisfied even though it will look funny on the shelf. However, I was thinking that maybe Sony might make Volume 9 a three-disc set. The first two discs will be on the Slim Case #1 and the third disc will be on Slim Case #2. So, the packaging may not be inconsistent after all.

Offline dimelives

Probably from the remake, "Rip, Sew, and Stitch."

So it begins!   :D

Ah, see, I didn't know that "Six Pants" was remade (shoulda figured though, I guess, with all the other remakes and re-used footage, especially in the later days). Sorry for the ignorance! [pie] Didn't mean to fall right into the mind-numbing, "They already released these shorts!" lot. (But to be fair, with the largely limited release of these upcoming shorts, I guess I just haven't seen that remake^ in syndication. And does seem kinda odd to have a remake/re-used shot on the box, wouldn't ya say?)

Offline Stooges#1

As someone who is admittedly ignorant on 3D Vs. 2D, is the 3D version watched without glasses any different than 2D?

Recently I started getting into the TV Series Chuck and a season 2 episode was filmed in 3D, although it wasnt impossible to watch without the glasses imagine sitting their for 45 minutes watching a show and being distracted by Red/Green outlines. Im happy we'll be able to watch these shorts the way they were filmed and then i'll be able to go back to that episode of Chuck too.  [cool]

I think im with X on this one though I'll watch the two shorts once or twice in 3D and then watch them in 2D after that if they're included in 2D that is.

Offline moglia

3D and 2D AWESOME!!! Sony must have read my post from last week :)

Even though I now get motion sickness and headaches from 3D as a purest and completest I am thrilled. I've wanted to see Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire in 3D since I was 14.  I'll take a dramamine and aspirin and let them fly.....

Kudos to Sony, I just hope for the love of that is holy that they laid of the Digital Noise Reduction (a hack for amateurs) on this volume.

Offline Stooges#1

Since this set will include two pairs of 3D glasses each I wonder if volume 7 will be a bit more expensive than the others.

Offline moglia

It's $17.49 pre-order at Amazon which IIRC is about the same as the previous volumes. See link 5 or so posts up

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Stooges#1

So evidently we'll be getting both the 2D and 3D versions of those two shorts. Thank You Sony!  ;)

Offline busybuddy

And does seem kinda odd to have a remake/re-used shot on the box, wouldn't ya say?)

Actually, that is a newer publicity shot although it is a remade film (it was used on the "Dizzy Doctors" DVD a few years ago, too). You can tell because Moe looks a lot older than he did in the original 47 version, not that it really matters anyway, because I don't care what the cover is like as long as they have these great shorts on there! I cannot wait!!! Listen, Judge, Goof On The Roof, Spooks, Shot In The Frontier, Gents in A Jam, and Income Tax Sappy all on the same set? CAN'T WAIT!!!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline dimelives

Actually, that is a newer publicity shot although it is a remade film (it was used on the "Dizzy Doctors" DVD a few years ago, too). You can tell because Moe looks a lot older than he did in the original 47 version
You're right. I just went and looked, and it ISN'T an identical shot from "Six Pants". I rescind my complaint :] Thanks, fellas.

Page up to read Sony's press release.
Awesome :) Sounds great! Can't wait.

Offline falsealarms

This one is really shaping up to be one of the more exciting releases. While the shorts on here aren't "peak Stooges," there are quite a few good ones and many of them haven't seen the light of day in years. Add in the 3D presentations -- and more importantly, widescreen -- and you have something definitely worth waiting for.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I have a feeling that a big majority of the shorts on this volume have never seen DVD release. Some of them have appeared in the 5-volume Three Stooges Collection VHS series released by Goodtimes Home Video. The last 32 shorts to be released after Volume 7 have never been available for home viewing, so there may be some big sales numbers for the final shorts.

One question I have for everybody is do any of you have any plans to sell your VHS tapes of Stooge shorts once all 190 two-reelers are on DVD? I have thought about and decided I will.

Offline falsealarms

I have a feeling that a big majority of the shorts on this volume have never seen DVD release. Some of them have appeared in the 5-volume Three Stooges Collection VHS series released by Goodtimes Home Video. The last 32 shorts to be released after Volume 7 have never been available for home viewing, so there may be some big sales numbers for the final shorts.

One question I have for everybody is do any of you have any plans to sell your VHS tapes of Stooge shorts once all 190 two-reelers are on DVD? I have thought about and decided I will.

That's not true. Some of the 1956 Shemp's were on those long-gone Goodtime releases. But for the most part, we've entered uncharted territory.

xraffle

I would love to sell my VHS copies. But the problem is, who is willing to buy it? Very few people today still buy VHS.

Offline falsealarms

About the sales::

"Believe it or not, the Stooge compilations sell so well that they are not considered "catalog" but are lumped in with new pictures, so my involvement with them is quite limited." - Mike S. from Sony