Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Today's (Wed) Episode of the Day

Offline FineBari3

Today's (Wed) Episode of the day is the Shemp solo short "Strange Affair". The picture used shows a neat-o little car called an American Austin, was made in Butler, PA, about 30 minutes from my home.

I recently wrote a small article on the Austin for the Buster Keaton fan club's publication, and here is a little clip from it:

"Long before today’s Mini Cooper and the hilarious Smart car, the Austin was 28 inches shorter and 16 inches narrower than any other American automobile of the time, and guaranteed 40 miles to the gallon.

The American Austin was manufactured off and on from 1930 to 1940 north of Pittsburgh, in Butler, PA.  The company underwent a name change in 1936, to American Bantam. American Bantam was also the first company to design and produce the Jeep in 1940. After the unveiling of the Jeep in 1940, the government didn't think the company was big enough to produce the required number of vehicles, and the contract went to Ford and Willys-Overland. American Bantam soon went out of business."

Those of us who enjoy classic films will recognize this cool little car from Keaton's "Parlor, Bedroom and Bath" (1931), in the Laurel and Hardy short "Our Wife" (1931), and the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts short "Bargain of the Century" (1933). 
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Here's one that I saw & photographed just this week.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That's an interesting piece of history, MJ.  I know that I have both Parlor, Bedroom and Bath and Our Wife on tape; I'll have to dig them out and watch them again, as I can't quite picture the car from memory. 

Quote from: FineBari3
American Bantam was also the first company to design and produce the Jeep in 1940. After the unveiling of the Jeep in 1940, the government didn't think the company was big enough to produce the required number of vehicles, and the contract went to Ford and Willys-Overland. American Bantam soon went out of business.

If I'm understanding that correctly, it sounds as though the government literally stole their design and gave it to others who were better connected politically, which would certainly be typical.   ::)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Thanks for posting that picture, Desmond.  Now I can recall the car in those films (but I'll still dig them out, since I haven't watched either in a long time.)   ;D

Offline FineBari3

Wow! That's pretty cool, Desmond!

There was a real Art Deco version of the Austim, and I found this on a webpage.

You could get all kinds of accessories and trim packages. They even made delivery trucks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

That's an interesting piece of history, MJ.  I know that I have both Parlor, Bedroom and Bath and Our Wife on tape; I'll have to dig them out and watch them again, as I can't quite picture the car from memory. 

If I'm understanding that correctly, it sounds as though the government literally stole their design and gave it to others who were better connected politically, which would certainly be typical.   ::)

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I seem to recall reading that after the debut of the Jeep to the government, Willy's and Ford copied it and Austin couldn't compete with the large factories ability to turn them out.

Here is a very nice website, and on the homepage is the factory in Butler, PA, which has a national historical marker there.  http://austinbantamsociety.com/
Mar-Jean Zamperini