Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Does anyone know anything about this?

Online falsealarms

Stumbled across this - looks mildly intriguing, but I had never seen this before:

http://www.tinkerbelltalks.com/shop/shop44BB.htm

Offline Seamus

"Ellsworth was a devoted fan and was constantly writing or phoning the famous comedians."

I bet Moe loved this kid.

The conversation with Larry during his post-stroke months would be too painful to listen to, judging from the clips of the Tom Bergeron tapes I've heard.  Might be worth a listen to hear Moe muttering, "That screwy kid again?" in the background during the "many pauses while the men come to the phone."

Offline FineBari3

I think this is the same guy and CD that was at the Hollywood Collector's Show that I was at in 2007.  We were all watching the C3 guys talking to him.....I wonder what they said?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline curlysdame

"Ellsworth was a devoted fan and was constantly writing or phoning the famous comedians."

I bet Moe loved this kid.

The conversation with Larry during his post-stroke months would be too painful to listen to, judging from the clips of the Tom Bergeron tapes I've heard.  Might be worth a listen to hear Moe muttering, "That screwy kid again?" in the background during the "many pauses while the men come to the phone."

Haha, yeah, right?  I can totally hear him doing that!   :P   I think I'll wait till someone puts this up on youtube, though...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline locoboymakesgood

That's crazy to me how even 30+ years ago normal schlubs could get phone numbers to Hollywood legends. Boggles the mind.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That's crazy to me how even 30+ years ago normal schlubs could get phone numbers to Hollywood legends. Boggles the mind.

16 or 17 years ago (it was right after our moving out into the boondocks) my brother got bored one day and decided to see if he could get in touch with someone from the Stooges.  He called information in L.A. and was surprised to get Emil Sitka's phone number without a problem.  Emil seemed delighted to hear from my brother and was happy to chat.  He sent autographed pictures for my brother and I, and he sent my brother a Christmas card every year after that until he died.

Offline hiramhorwitz

16 or 17 years ago (it was right after our moving out into the boondocks) my brother got bored one day and decided to see if he could get in touch with someone from the Stooges.  He called information in L.A. and was surprised to get Emil Sitka's phone number without a problem.  Emil seemed delighted to hear from my brother and was happy to chat.  He sent autographed pictures for my brother and I, and he sent my brother a Christmas card every year after that until he died.
Yep -- same thing happened to me.  The only difference is I got in touch with Emil a little earlier, so I received Christmas cards from 1974 until 1996.  Talk about a simple pleasure.

Offline FineBari3

I have heard that Stan Laurel was very accessable, and even maintaned his listing in the phone book. 

BTW, there is a great website that has archived many letters to and from Stan at http://www.lettersfromstan.com/
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wow, that's amazing. I love stories like that. I don't even know if there are celebrities nowadays I'd want to have correspondence with, but the fact that someone like Emil sent you guys Christmas cards is insane. I'm jealous. ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline garystooge

I think this is the same guy and CD that was at the Hollywood Collector's Show that I was at in 2007.  We were all watching the C3 guys talking to him.....I wonder what they said?

You're right M-J...that's the guy. His name is Ellsworth Sullivan. He's a long-time fan club member and while we were at the show, he asked me for advice on marketing the recordings he had.  I gave him advice (which he ignored) and he decided to try and work out a licensing deal with C3. I don't know the specifics of their conversation but apparently they were unable to work anything out. Ellsworth contacted me again recently because apparently he needs money and wants to sell the 20 or so handwritten letters that he has from Moe & Larry, along with the original audio tapes. He was going to send them to an auction house but offered them to me first. I declined, as his expectation of what they are worth at auction is way more than my valuation.  We'll probably see the stuff available at Heritage, RR, or one of the other big auction houses within the next few months.
Gary

Offline curlysdame

Ellsworth contacted me again recently because apparently he needs money and wants to sell the 20 or so handwritten letters that he has from Moe & Larry, along with the original audio tapes.

Wow, those would be the last things I'd sell (and I need money right now, too).  I guess I'm just really sentimental.  But, I do see a lot of Moe letters being sold on ebay, usually for a couple hundred each.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline kinderscenen

Late again, dammit!  How dare I have a life!  But seriously, I wonder what the guy who taped Larry and Moe in the late 1960s (invited to dine on lasagna with 2 original Stooges? Wow!) is doing with his recordings.  There are folks who dropped in for visits before the 70s, and I'm more interested in those than I am with the later ones.  I'm not fond of listening to post stroke Larry, but I don't mind watching him. (You get a better idea of how he was doing if you get to see him and listen...just listening, the guy sounds like death warmed over if he's not telling a story.  Damn, it was kinda painful to hear him NOT hear what the questions were sometimes.)

As to selling stuff, I have the perfectly craptastic Stroke of Luck, and told my mother that she could sell it after I die and perhaps get a couple of bucks. On second thought, perhaps she could read the book and get a good laugh to forget her grief!  ;D
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Larry Fine Fan

I would like to hear these interviews, but I wouldn't pay the price he's asking for. I do owe some Larry and Moe radio interviews that I bought from the My Pal Moe website eons ago.

Let's hope Ellsworth will post these phone conversations on YouTube soon. <fingers crossed>

Sara