Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Columbia Short Subjects On DVD

Offline archiezappa

I was wondering how many of Columbia's short subjects have been officially released on DVD.  I mean, besides the Three Stooges.  I'm happy with the way The Three Stooges are being done and continue to be done on DVD.  I've read about the Buster Keaton collection of his Columbia short subjects.  But what about the others?  Are there any more DVD's available?  Are there any more coming out soon?  Just wondering.

Yes, I did hear about the potential release of Charley Chase shorts.  I sure hope that one comes out, too.

Offline ArPharazon

Phoney Cronies is included on the Swing Parade DVD.  It's the only one on there I'm sure is/was a Columbia.

Montie Collins & Dudley Dickerson appeared in it.

Offline archiezappa

Oh yeah, I actually have that.  I must say that "Swing Parade" is one well done DVD.  It has all the right bonus features and everything.  And, of course, it has the original 3 Stooges (Moe, Larry & Curly).

Offline ArPharazon

"Original" ? ;)

And yeah, a well done DVD.  I also have Dancing Lady, Soup To Nuts and Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron on official DVD releases, as well as some low quality DVDs of the existing MGM shorts.

Offline locoboymakesgood

"Original" ? ;)

And yeah, a well done DVD.  I also have Dancing Lady, Soup To Nuts and Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron on official DVD releases, as well as some low quality DVDs of the existing MGM shorts.
I'm sure you know this, but those aren't shorts..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline luke795

What bonus features are on the Swing Parade dvd?
I have the Swing Parade/Jerks Of All Trades dvd.

Offline locoboymakesgood

What bonus features are on the Swing Parade dvd?
I have the Swing Parade/Jerks Of All Trades dvd.
There are numerous Swing Parade DVDs since it's in the public domain, but I believe they're referring to the Legend Films one.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Some of the features are:

an episode of "My Little Margie"
the Columbia Short "Phony Cronies"
Rifftrax
Option to watch the movie in color or black & white

There's a few others, too.  Some clips and trailers.  Really, it's the best package of "Swing Parade."  Yes, I do have the other one you're talking about from Goodtimes Home Video.  But this one from Legend Films is far superior.

Offline ArPharazon

I'm sure you know this, but those aren't shorts..

Yes, I know.  Just agreeing that the Swing Parade was a well mastered DVD, and that the other "official" ones are too.

And that^ is the same release I have for Swing Parade

Offline 2reelers

So far, the non-Stooge Columbia shorts that have been released have been:

The 10 Keaton shorts
Phoney Cronies (El Brendel)
Midnight Blunders (Monty Collins and Tom Kennedy)
Hot Paprika (Andy Clyde)
Pleased To Mitt You (A Glove Slingers short with Shemp)
Ain't Love Cuckoo? (Schilling and Lane)...this one is coming soon

I have about 225 of the Columbia shorts from 16mm film transfers. They're out there in the collector circles.