Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music That Sucks...But You Like It Anyway

shemps#1 · 56 · 21449

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
I'm still confused about that whole Jewish Christmas thing, though.  Weird!
I've come across at least a couple of Christmas albums made by people who were avowed atheists. Really, why did they bother?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Dylan converted to Christianity back in the 70's and a couple of his albums from that time are full of Jesus-Freakery.

There is one reason I can think of an atheist coming out with a Christmas Album: money. I'm curious as to who these atheists were and if the songs they performed were Christian or secular.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Dylan converted to Christianity back in the 70's and a couple of his albums from that time are full of Jesus-Freakery.

There is one reason I can think of an atheist coming out with a Christmas Album: money. I'm curious as to who these atheists were and if the songs they performed were Christian or secular.

I've only heard one Dylan song from his Christian period, "Gotta Serve Somebody," and I have to say, I think it's quite good.  I'm not usually a fan of Christian rock, but that has more to do with the performers than any beliefs in the lyrics.  I don't care if you write a Christian lyric (I like Neal Morse), a Satanic lyric (I like Slayer and Mercyful Fate), whatever, as long as the music is good, it's fine with me.  Dylan going Christian is just a small phase in an ever changing career, and it makes Dylan that much more interesting to me. 

I did get to hear Dylan's Christmas album this past December, and I thought of it as a fun novelty, but not something I'd listen to often.  Dylan's just going to do whatever he wants anyway, he's always been like that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead

Well, one you can check into is Jethro Tull's Christmas album. Ian Anderson's beliefs are well-known.

Another one I heard once was made by various artists who were not famous at the time. (One became famous later, while another was someone I knew personally.) While I can't speak for the beliefs of the people involved (besides the guy I knew), the choice of songs was very conspicuously non-religious without even resorting to a lot of "Santa" songs. The only somewhat "religious" song on the disc was performed as an instrumental.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Green Day, I guess.  They're like my guilty pleasure.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
Personally, I don't think that a "Music That Rocks" board would work all that well.  What makes the Music That Sucks board so good is Jim's biting humor and colorful turn of phrase (to put it mildly.)  For me it's not so much what Jim hates as the way he expresses his disdain for the subject of his review.  You just can't get the same effect with a positive review.   ;)

WORD.  And I have it from RELIABLE SOURCES that a brand-spanking new inductee into MTS is right around the corner.  I just hope the wait is not too long.  This might be my favorite thread ANYWHERE on the almight 'net.  Besides the hilarious writing, I am amazed to find someone who is 99% correct in his musical judgement...with me holding in at a cool 100%.  Think about it.
Specto Caelum!