Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music That Sucks...But You Like It Anyway

shemps#1 · 56 · 21450

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I have very mixed feelings on MUSIC THAT ROCKS.  I love music so much and would like good articles on Black Sabbath, The Kinks, The Who, Motorhead, etc. etc. etc.  I do realize it would never be as entertaining as Jim's stuff, but I betcha if I really put some thought in it, I could write some interesting articles.

But thought, there lies the problem.  I work 40 hours a week and commute 90 minutes round trip every day.  When I get home, I just wanna eat dinner and watch the ball game, fuck thought.  Sure, the thought would be worth it if I thought anybody would actually care about the articles, but it's hard enough to get people to contribute two or three paragraph Three Stooges reviews on this site (which I find very depressing), nevermind being open minded enough to read about a band they most likely don't care about, no matter how well written.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I have very mixed feelings on MUSIC THAT ROCKS.  I love music so much and would like good articles on Black Sabbath, The Kinks, The Who, Motorhead, etc. etc. etc.  I do realize it would never be as entertaining as Jim's stuff, but I betcha if I really put some thought in it, I could write some interesting articles.

But thought, there lies the problem.  I work 40 hours a week and commute 90 minutes round trip every day.  When I get home, I just wanna eat dinner and watch the ball game, fuck thought.  Sure, the thought would be worth it if I thought anybody would actually care about the articles, but it's hard enough to get people to contribute two or three paragraph Three Stooges reviews on this site (which I find very depressing), nevermind reading about a band they most likely don't care about, no matter how well written.

Exactly. Like I said before, serious effort has to be put in to making Music That Rocks interesting. Now, finding a person that has the time, patience, and writing skills to do that is where the problem lies.

xraffle

...but it's hard enough to get people to contribute two or three paragraph Three Stooges reviews on this site (which I find very depressing), nevermind being open minded enough to read about a band they most likely don't care about, no matter how well written.

BTW, I saw your request asking me to write a review on "Self Made Maids." Even though it may be just two to three paragraphs, I really need to put a lot of thought into it, like you just said before. I'd rather write no review than a crappy one. Therefore, I will need some time to come up with a good review, not to mention the little time I have. I work full time and take classes on the weekends right now. I have to really think and analyze a stooge episode and thoroughly explain the good and bad stuff about it to justify my overall rating. Anyways, if I manage to find some time over the next few weeks to gather my thoughts, I'll see if I can write a review.

I'm sure there are many (and I do mean MANY) other members here with great writing skills and people that have the ability and time to write a excellent reviews. I encourage others to contribute as well. In my busy time, I've written transcripts for several stooge shorts (which, I'm pretty certain, very few people even read), I've participated in the debates, spent time providing screenshots for the DVDs, etc. I can only contribute to so much, so I'm sure there are other people here who can contribute something to this site. It disturbs and worries me that many people here, who are very bright and smart, didn't want to participate in the debates before and are now afraid to step and write a review.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Personally, I don't think that a "Music That Rocks" board would work all that well.  What makes the Music That Sucks board so good is Jim's biting humor and colorful turn of phrase (to put it mildly.)  For me it's not so much what Jim hates as the way he expresses his disdain for the subject of his review.  You just can't get the same effect with a positive review.   ;)

Exactly, and that is the reason why I never started a "Music That Rocks" counterpart to MTS. I knew right away that a "MTR" would pale in comparison to MTS and perhaps even hurt MTS in a way.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I guess it's ok if you don't think it'll work. I just thought Metaldams and Archiezappa had a pretty good idea there. Like I said, it "can" work if serious work is put into making it interesting. It doesn't exactly have to contain "biting humor" or whatever else MTS had. There are other ways to make it interesting. It was a good idea, while it lasted. Just my two cents.

A Music That Rocks board or thread would be doomed from the start because it would be automatically be compared to MTS.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull

xraffle

I hate to admit that Metaldams has a good point. While a MTR thread could work, it probably won't. This is a Three Stooges site and we were unable to get people to debate about stooge-related topics nor were we able to get people to actively post episode reviews. So, I highly doubt we'll get enough people interested in writing about music they like.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I hate to admit that Metaldams has a good point.

You're starting to sound like my ex-girlfriend.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
Nahhhh.  Just keep MTS.  It's fun this way.....there should be an entire section devoted to crappy Canadian music (Loverboy, Celine Dion, Shania Twain) and all will be right in the world.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Nahhhh.  Just keep MTS.  It's fun this way.....there should be an entire section devoted to crappy Canadian music (Loverboy, Celine Dion, Shania Twain) and all will be right in the world.

Y'know, I don't care about her music, but Shania Twain was/is an amzingly beautiful woman.  I had no clue she was Canadian.  Doesn't she sing "country?" 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead
Y'know, I don't care about her music, but Shania Twain was/is an amzingly beautiful woman.  I had no clue she was Canadian.  Doesn't she sing "country?" 

I don't really get that either, metal.  How can you be Canadian and sing country? 
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

ThumpTheShoes

I don't really get that either, metal.  How can you be Canadian and sing country? 

What about Jewish people making christmas records?  :laugh:

..Well, 'cept for Joe, anyway.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

No doubt the influence of "Gentile" Joe Derita.  ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

I'm not really a country music fan, but at one time it was a legitimate genre.  These days it's homogenized pop just like all other forms of mainstream music.  Hence a Canadian singing "country."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead

Lol, I forgot about that.  Ah, Joe, the lone Gentile.   ...Ever heard Barbra Streisand's version of 'Jingle Bells'?  *shudders*
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Lol, I forgot about that.  Ah, Joe, the lone Gentile.   ...Ever heard Barbra Streisand's version of 'Jingle Bells'?  *shudders*

Well, YEAH, of course it's Joe's doing!  Notice the way he's dragging Moe and Larry along on the sleigh?  That's more symbolic than Paul not wearing shoes on the cover of ABBEY ROAD.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
I'm not really a country music fan, but at one time it was a legitimate genre.  These days it's homogenized pop just like all other forms of mainstream music.  Hence a Canadian singing "country."

Agreed.  I like Willie, Waylon and the boys.  But the stuff that has come out in the last 20 + years (Brooks & Dung, Shania Twain, Garth Brooks) is not country.  Just crap.  That is all.  And Gretchen Wilson?  YUUUUCKK!!  Man, oh man, I am not a huge country fan by any stretch, but the stuff I listened to in the 70s at least qualified as music.  No, you are better off sticking with Iron Maiden and Motorhead for musical integrity.  Don't question it!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
This doesn't involve a sucky artist, but here's an admission for you: I am a great admirer of "Revolution 9."
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Dog Hambone

There's this one Oingo Boingo song....   :-[

Are you referring to "Dead Man's Party"? That's a terrific song, I see no reason to call that one a guilty pleasure.

The song that comes to my mind is "Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield. An obvious pop song written for radio play & sung by some manufactured soap opera actor, but nevertheless, I love the song anyway.

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
I like country music, but what I call country is now referred to as bluegrass.  Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash are among my favorites.  I also like Grandpa Jones.  He combined bluegrass music with comedy.  The show "Hee Haw" really had a lot of that sort of thing:  Good country/bluegrass music and corny comedy.

I'm still confused about that whole Jewish Christmas thing, though.  Weird!

Offline Blystone

• Bonehead
I don't like any Music That Sucks. The principle is very simple: if I like it, it automatically doesn't suck.

As for those Jewish Christmas albums, I'll buy the Streisand and Dylan albums just as soon as Pat Boone releases a Hanukkah album, and not a moment sooner!

[wink]

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
I don't like any Music That Sucks. The principle is very simple: if I like it, it automatically doesn't suck.
As I like to say, there's a lot of bad music that I like, and a lot of great music that I don't like.

(That would make sense to anyone who understands my musical interests, even allowing for the "quality is in the ear of the beholder" principle.)
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
I like that.  "Quality is in the ear of the beholder." 

Offline jasonflord25

• Porcupine
mine would be Elton John but for some reason I do listen to some songs