Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Michael Jackson dies at age 50

Guest · 70 · 18550

xraffle

Get used to it, this will go on for a while. I thought that living close to Gary In. I was getting more than my fair share, but it seems like you people are getting your fair share of over-exposure.

That's strange. None of my friends or relatives are Michael Jackson fans. I know he used to be very popular in the 80s, but I didn't know a lot of people listen to him now. That's why this over-exposure is such a shock to me.

Offline metaldams

That's strange. None of my friends or relatives are Michael Jackson fans. I know he used to be very popular in the 80s, but I didn't know a lot of people listen to him now. That's why this over-exposure is such a shock to me.

Michael Jackson was HUGE in the 80's.  I was born in 1978, and I have kind of an idea how big he was from first hand experience, but I think a few years older than me and you really get it.  Look at it this way -  go to Wikipedia, and THRILLER is the best selling album of all-time, at 100 - 109 million albums sold.  The number two album is AC/DC's BACK IN BLACK, and that "only" sold 45 million.  That alone means we're going to be hearing about this death for awhile.

If you also add in the media hoopla this guy has been creating for twenty plus years, Bubbles the monkee, Macauley Culkin, Lisa Marie Presley, Liz Taylor, child molesting, plastic surgery, skin bleaching, hanging an infant off the balcony, and all the other shallow bullshit our culture has become obssessed with, and you will be hearing about this death for a LONG time.  There is absolutely no shock at all in the over-exposure for me, and we're just beginning.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

If you also add in the media hoopla this guy has been creating for twenty plus years, Bubbles the monkee, Macauley Culkin, Lisa Marie Presley, Liz Taylor, child molesting, plastic surgery, skin bleaching, hanging an infant off the balcony, and all the other shallow bullshit our culture has become obssessed with, and you will be hearing about this death for a LONG time.  There is absolutely no shock at all in the over-exposure for me, and we're just beginning.

What really shocks me is that this is the only thing they're talking about in the news. No exaggeration. Well, they did manage to squeeze in 3 minutes to update us on the weather, but that's it. The rest of the one hour news was all about Michael Jackson. This is all gossip and should not be shown on local/national news, only on shows like "Access Hollywood" or whatever other gossip show is out there.

Offline locoboymakesgood

This is pretty big. I wasn't alive in the 70s, but I recall people saying the Elvis death was a big thing. This is similar I believe. Jackson pretty much defined a decade of music. His songs are iconic, hate him or not, the man made a cultural and significant impact on the world. This is pretty huge for this to have happened.

Anyone remember the Pepsi commercial where his hair had caught on fire in real life?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Some interesting Jackson videos...

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW (March 1974)
Not a great skit, but interesting for what happens 1/3 into it... L.A. had an earthquake aftershock. Burnett quickly adlibs, and the show goes on, barely missing a beat.
[youtube=425,350]W62an6HrSww[/youtube]

THE FLIP WILSON SHOW (October 1972)
The ol' burlesque routine, 7x13=28, performed by Flip Wilson and Michael Jackson
[youtube=425,350]CZqRMwx3udo[/youtube]

THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW (December 1969)
Usually/erroneously credited as the Jackson 5's first national performance... actually, they premiered October 1969 on ABC's Saturday night THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, in an episode hosted by Sammy Davis Jr. & Diana Ross.  But, SULLIVAN's Sunday night show had good ratings, and PALACE had low ratings (it was cancelled in 1970). So, this video often gets the [improper] credit...
[youtube=425,350]ujeMLyP23mM[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This is pretty big. I wasn't alive in the 70s, but I recall people saying the Elvis death was a big thing. This is similar I believe. Jackson pretty much defined a decade of music. His songs are iconic, hate him or not, the man made a cultural and significant impact on the world. This is pretty huge for this to have happened.

Anyone remember the Pepsi commercial where his hair had caught on fire in real life?

You don't have to have been in the 50's or 60's to know Elvis was a huge deal....bigger than Jackson.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline locoboymakesgood

You don't have to have been in the 50's or 60's to know Elvis was a huge deal....bigger than Jackson.
I meant his death.. I'm sure the news stations had round the clock coverage like this.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

I'm not sure about that. I wasn't around when Elvis died, but you obviously didn't have the internet like you do now. Cable TV wasn't that widely adopted yet and a station like CNN didn't even exist until 1980.

Offline OldFred

Michael Jackson was three years younger than me when he died. I recalled the impact of the Jackson 5 when they played the Ed Sullivan show, and they were amazing. Michael as a young man was incredibly talented. Folks literally watched Michael and his brothers grow up in the spotlight. Michael made the rare transition from child star to adult star in the late 1970's and he really shot into the stratosphere, especially when 'Thriller' was released. He was the first major black artist to help break the door open for other black performers on MTV with his innovative videos. His 'Moonwalk' performance on the Motown 25 TV special was the moment that really made him a Pop culture phenomenon.

Unfortunately, the weird behavior over the years made him tabloid fodder and put his artistic achievements on the back burner for a lot of folks. The same thing happened with Elvis. Up to Elvis' death, he was looked at as a bit of weirdo too. Then when he died people remembered what a ground-breaking artist he was. The same thing is going to happen with Michael Jackson. People will still recall the weird stuff, but his music and videos will remind people about why Michael Jackson was such a big deal.

chad2411

I'm 31 and barely remember him from the 80's.  I do know that he is huge in other countries to this day, and the "butt of the joke" here.. 

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was born shortly before Elvis died. In fact, I was being taken home from the hospital for the first time the day he died and my parents found out on the car radio. That hardly puts me in the generation that "remembers Elvis" yet I know Elvis was a big deal. It's more common sense than anything. When anyone older than the age of 12 makes the comment that "I guess Elvis was a big deal" you sound stupid (not calling anyone "stupid" so relax). That's like saying "I guess Hitler was a bad guy" or for this website "I guess the Three Stooges were popular back in the day". Hell, Elvis is still a big deal today, almost 32 years after his death.

Excluding any "tabloid behavior" or pedophilia and basing this on music alone Elvis was bigger than Jackson one main reason: Elvis had a comeback. He was the first huge rock star, his popularity ebbed in the early to mid 60's when we was doing all of those horrible movies, but he came back strong with the '68 Comeback Special and had hit in his later years. Jackson became huge with Thriller and right after Thriller his popularity waned. Sure, Bad did well, but it slipped from Thriller and every other record after fell and fell and fell. He was considered a joke (much like Elvis was during the movie years) but he never had the big comeback like Elvis did. Therefore, Elvis gets the edge.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Unfortunately, the weird behavior over the years made him tabloid fodder and put his artistic achievements on the back burner for a lot of folks. The same thing happened with Elvis. Up to Elvis' death, he was looked at as a bit of weirdo too. Then when he died people remembered what a ground-breaking artist he was.

Big difference between Elvis and Michael Jackson.......Elvis was always prolific.  Even later on, Elvis recorded lots of music and did tons of live shows.  He never forgot he was a performer despite his problems.  Michael Jackson made an album every 5 - 10 years and had very little to say artistically once THRILLER hit it big.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I meant his death.. I'm sure the news stations had round the clock coverage like this.

As falsealarms already mentioned, there wasn't any such thing as around-the-clock news channels back then, but it was still the news story at the time on the radio and newspapers.  (I remember it well.  I was working as a roustabout in the oil fields of Wyoming at the time.  I still pray that I don't drop dead of a heart attack on the toilet.)  I don't remember just how long it stayed at the top, but it doesn't seem that it was more than a few days.  Elvis fans, however, are still making pilgrimages to Graceland to this day, some 32 years later.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Excluding any "tabloid behavior" or pedophilia and basing this on music alone Elvis was bigger than Jackson one main reason: Elvis had a comeback. He was the first huge rock star, his popularity ebbed in the early to mid 60's when we was doing all of those horrible movies, but he came back strong with the '68 Comeback Special and had hit in his later years. Jackson became huge with Thriller and right after Thriller his popularity waned. Sure, Bad did well, but it slipped from Thriller and every other record after fell and fell and fell. He was considered a joke (much like Elvis was during the movie years) but he never had the big comeback like Elvis did. Therefore, Elvis gets the edge.

I've never cared for either Jackson or Elvis, but I have more respect for Elvis both musically and in his personal life.  Elvis was weird and tacky (at least in my opinion), but I don't recall any scandalous accusations or truly bizarre behavior during his career.  I'm not convinced that Jackson was a child molester, but even if he wasn't I wouldn't want any kid I knew anywhere near him.  As you said earlier, Jackson was just creepy - and not in a good way.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I've never cared for either Jackson or Elvis, but I have more respect for Elvis both musically and in his personal life.  Elvis was weird and tacky (at least in my opinion), but I don't recall any scandalous accusations or truly bizarre behavior during his career.  I'm not convinced that Jackson was a child molester, but even if he wasn't I wouldn't want any kid I knew anywhere near him.  As you said earlier, Jackson was just creepy - and not in a good way.

Although neither Presley nor Jackson is one of my favorites, I can appreciate and enjoy the talent of both.  But I must say that near the end of his life, Elvis was indeed creepy, although not necessarily in the same manner as Jackson.  Having attended one of Presley's later concerts, I can guarantee you that seeing an overweight and bloated senior citizen, sporting blacker-than-black dyed hair and seriously oversized sideburns, dripping in sweat and moving like a snail, was nothing short of alarming.  Add to that the rhinestone-laden jumpsuit and I'm pretty darn sure most of the audience was taken aback and uncomfortable.  Clearly, no one in the house felt like they were watching the vital Elvis of the movies or the early Sullivan Show appearances, despite the recognizable vocals.  And yes, people in those latter days were mocking Elvis plenty, regardless of how folks regard him today in hindsight.  In my mind, the biggest difference between how Presley and Jackson's deaths were covered has to do with the expectation that Presley was in poor health, while Jackson was thought to be well.             

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At 42 years old Elvis was hardly a senior citizen.

Offline hiramhorwitz

At 42 years old Elvis was hardly a senior citizen.

I was referring to his physical appearance, which in his last years was awfully similar to that of a retiree arriving in Florida.  I guarantee you his latter day physique and mobility far transcended 42, regardless of the birth date.  Just take a look at his last televised concert -- seeing is believing.     

Offline metaldams

I was referring to his physical appearance, which in his last years was awfully similar to that of a retiree arriving in Florida.  I guarantee you his latter day physique and mobility far transcended 42, regardless of the birth date.  Just take a look at his last televised concert -- seeing is believing.     

I agree, Elvis looked like crap, but listen to the voice, it's still amazing.  This is six weeks before he died.

[youtube=425,350]E32SCqI_3sE[/youtube]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

I agree, Elvis looked like crap, but listen to the voice, it's still amazing.  This is six weeks before he died.

[youtube=425,350]E32SCqI_3sE[/youtube]

No argument that his talent seeped through, even at the end.

Offline OldFred

Excluding any "tabloid behavior" or pedophilia and basing this on music alone Elvis was bigger than Jackson one main reason: Elvis had a comeback.

Jackson had a comeback, too. People keep forgetting how hugely popular the Jackson 5 were when Michael was a child star. As he got older his talent continued to grow. When the popularity of the Jackson 5 started to wan is when Michael really branched out as a solo star, 'Off The Wall' being a huge solo success for him and preceded the monster success of 'Thriller'. 'Thriller' was such a monumental success that even though Jackson followed up with successful albums like 'Bad' and 'Dangerous', they just didn't match the sales figures of 'Thriller'. It doesn't matter how good or successful you are, if a current success doesn't match a monster success, it's going to be seen in a much lesser light no matter how good the end product is. Michael Jackson did put out more records later that were good, they just weren't as successful sales wise as 'Thriller' was.

The best analogy is Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' album which was continuously on the Billboard charts for almost over thirty years. Every album they put out afterwards, from 'Wish You Were Here', 'Animals', and even 'The Wall', while all successful, were not as huge as 'Dark Side' was.

chad2411

Elvis is still alive and looking like crap..  I saw him on "Cops" last week!

xraffle

I wasn't sure what age Elvis died, so I just researched now. Wow, he died at age 42. Now I know he died young, but that's really young. And Marilyn Monroe too. She died at age 36. Wow, these celebrities must have hard lives. You'd think with all the money they have, they'd be happy. After all, money can buy you happiness. ;D

Offline OldFred

I wasn't sure what age Elvis died, so I just researched now. Wow, he died at age 42. Now I know he died young, but that's really young. And Marilyn Monroe too. She died at age 36. Wow, these celebrities must have hard lives. You'd think with all the money they have, they'd be happy. After all, money can buy you happiness. ;D

What does it Profit a Man to Gain the Whole World, yet, Forfeit His Soul

(Mark 8:36)

Sadly true.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Jackson had a comeback, too. People keep forgetting how hugely popular the Jackson 5 were when Michael was a child star. As he got older his talent continued to grow. When the popularity of the Jackson 5 started to wan is when Michael really branched out as a solo star, 'Off The Wall' being a huge solo success for him and preceded the monster success of 'Thriller'. 'Thriller' was such a monumental success that even though Jackson followed up with successful albums like 'Bad' and 'Dangerous', they just didn't match the sales figures of 'Thriller'. It doesn't matter how good or successful you are, if a current success doesn't match a monster success, it's going to be seen in a much lesser light no matter how good the end product is. Michael Jackson did put out more records later that were good, they just weren't as successful sales wise as 'Thriller' was.

The best analogy is Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' album which was continuously on the Billboard charts for almost over thirty years. Every album they put out afterwards, from 'Wish You Were Here', 'Animals', and even 'The Wall', while all successful, were not as huge as 'Dark Side' was.

Fred, you have got to stop. Going off as a solo star is not having a comeback! #1. The Jackson 5 were never in the stratosphere of Michael Jackson the solo star...not even close. The Jackson 5 and Michael's solo career are two different entities. Elvis was never in a straight up band, everything he released commercially was as a solo star. Elvis had the comeback and Michael Jackson did not. Just stop...