Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SHORT OF THE WEEK

Offline metaldams

Jim tried  the Master Debates.  Great idea, as some interesting debates did happen, but unfortunately, the same people always applied and the DVD pricing and box color threads ultimately prevailed.  Now, it's my turn to try something new, and I'm simply going to take advantage of a feature already on this site.  Rob has a filmography section with a thread for each short.  Unfortunately, some of these threads haven't been commented on in awhile, and there certainly hasn't been much ongoing debate or reviewing in them.  Every week, I'm going to pick one short, and we'll focus on it.  We can debate the short's quality, write reviews, make observations, whatever, but let's focus on a short a week and see what kind of discussion we can generate.  In this thread, I will simply post a link for you to follow, and you will discuss the short in this linked page.  Let's hope this generates interesting discussion.

The first short I'm choosing is SELF MADE MAIDS.  The reasons being vol. 6 came out and we've all probably watched it recently.  I also imagine a lot of us haven't seen it many times since it hasn't been very accessible until now, and this is also a controversial short critically.  Simply click on the link below, and let's discuss SELF MADE MAIDS.

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=124

PS: Hit the "reviews" link once you enter this link.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

This is a great idea. I will go and watch the short and put up a review.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline FineBari3

This is kind of like the Oprah book club!

(I don't watch that show, but I know they pick a book and then talk about it).

Excellent idea!   [thumbleft]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

For a little while there I didn't think I'd get any responses.   :o

Glad you guys like the idea, I hope it works.  I have two or three shorts to go before I get to SELF MADE MAIDS, but once I watch it, I'll review it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, my SELF MADE MAIDS review is in, and it ain't pretty!  Hope you guys read it and have something to say about it.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Taken from your review:

Easily one of the top 10 worst Stooge shorts.

Oooh! I gotta strongly disagree with you there. I rank it as one of the top 10 Shemp shorts. In fact, that's why I chose to transcribe it.

While there are a lot of Three Stooges type characters, I think the stooges pulled it off really well. I thought the part where the women were posing for the stooges and scratching themselves was hilarious. Also, the whole chase scene with the father was pretty funny. I was happy this short finally got released on DVD.

Offline BeatleShemp

SELF MADE MAIDS is an interesting concept that kinda fell.  The scenes at the beginning were pretty funny, but it does fall after the second half of the short.  It's not one of my favorite shorts, but there were some parts I did like.  And I can find stuff to like in ALL 190 shorts.  I loved how Moella said "Girls! We're enGAGED!"  I loved how Moella emphasized that second syllable. 

Offline metaldams

Guys, glad to see opinions, but feel free to write full reviews in the SELF MADE MAIDS forum if you'd like.  I'm hoping to get the filmography section beefed up with reviews.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I posted my review today, I have to agree with both Metal and BeAStooge's reviews. I just dont care
much for this short, the gags fall flat. The shorts where they did broke from formula like He Cooked His Goose
were done much better than this, although I give them points for at least trying. Moe as the father was
good, Stooge babies kinda funny, but the rest....eh, not so much.

1.5 pokes from me.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I definitely agree with Brent's comments about Jules White's shorts in the early 50's, very observant.  White made a few good ones (SCRAMBLED BRAINS, THREE DARK HORSES, GOOF ON THE ROOF ), but going through vol. 6, I am definitely happy to see "Directed By Edward Bernds" in the credits.

Keep up the good work, guys.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I'm surprised that many people here dislike this short. I like "Slaphappy Sleuths" better, but I still think "Self Made Maids" is a great short. Maybe I think this way because it's a rare short, but then again, there are other rare ones, like "Three Hams On Rye" and "Hugs and Mugs," which I don't really care for.

Offline metaldams

I'm surprised that many people here dislike this short. I like "Slaphappy Sleuths" better, but I still think "Self Made Maids" is a great short. Maybe I think this way because it's a rare short, but then again, there are other rare ones, like "Three Hams On Rye" and "Hugs and Mugs," which I don't really care for.

I don't think we agree on anything.   ;D

I was a bit disappointed in SLAPHAPPY SLEUTHS.  I've only seen it a few times, but my most recent viewing wasn't a good one.  Thought most of the gags seemed lame, and the fight scene has a "been there, done that" feel to it, except this time, we get to see a woman knocked out a few times.  Bad taste.  I do like the plate/lunch exchange between Moe and Shemp earlier in the short, and it's notable in being one of the few instances where Emil Sitka looks his real age.

"Three Hams On Rye" is very good. Tons of funny exchanges in the beginning and they do a good job with the cake scene.  "Hugs and Mugs" is an average quality Stooge short, brought to this level by the entertaining female team.

X, since you seem to disagree with the rest of us, a proper review from you of SELF MADE MAIDS would be valuable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I (finally) got my Vol. 6 in the mail today, and already watched all of Disc 1. I just popped in Disc 2, and saw Self-Maid Maids a few moments ago.

I watched it last year with my bootleg set, but this was the first time I really got in to it. I think it was decent. There were some weak moments, but I liked them all playing the same role. Some of the bits kind of grossed me out - I mean I know we're meant to believe they're homely looking women, but it was weird seeing Shemp hit on Larry. Just kind of grossed me out.

But, that aside, it was a really solid effort. I think rehashing the "Lollipop" bit was well-done, but as an overall score, I'd say 2.5/5.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Justin T

I don't think we agree on anything.   ;D

I was a bit disappointed in SLAPHAPPY SLEUTHS.  I've only seen it a few times, but my most recent viewing wasn't a good one.  Thought most of the gags seemed lame, and the fight scene has a "been there, done that" feel to it, except this time, we get to see a woman knocked out a few times.  Bad taste.  I do like the plate/lunch exchange between Moe and Shemp earlier in the short, and it's notable in being one of the few instances where Emil Sitka looks his real age.

"Three Hams On Rye" is very good. Tons of funny exchanges in the beginning and they do a good job with the cake scene.  "Hugs and Mugs" is an average quality Stooge short, brought to this level by the entertaining female team.

X, since you seem to disagree with the rest of us, a proper review from you of SELF MADE MAIDS would be valuable.

I'd love to see your review as well X.

Yeah, watching Slaphappy again I found I didnt enjoy it as much as I did the last time I watched my bootleg copy. It's still a good short but not as
great as a recall. I LOVE "Three Hams on Rye" though, one of my favorite Shemp shorts for all the reasons Metal listed above and more, esp the
cake scene. I freaking love the Stooges facial expressions while eating the cake, and the efforts they put into it while swallowing the feathers
before the coughing begins.

Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

I just finished watching Babysitters Jitters, which is one of those Shemp shorts with a pretty lame concept, but honestly it's gotta be one of the funniest shorts out of all of them. The one-liners and zingers were almost non-stop throughout the whole thing! I hadn't seen it since the Family Channel days, and wow, I was on the floor in some parts.

I think that's a pretty big plus in some of these prime Shemps. The dialogue is just so hilarious, instant quotes left and right.

Also, I've said this numerous times here on the board but I need to echo what Justin said about Three Hams on Rye. Easily one of my favorite shorts - definitely in my Top 5 Shemps. I don't recall ever seeing this one as a kid growing up so my first viewing was on the bootleg set I got. Watching it all cleaned up and remastered was a real treat. That black banana line kills me.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)