Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SEAN PENN DROPS OUT OF STOOGES MOVIE!!!!

Offline busybuddy

Offline curlysdame

Thanks for posting this busybuddy.  I don't think I would've known if I hadn't seen it here.   [cool]  Anyway, if Penn is really out, why don't they talk to David Paymer?  I always thought he'd be a great fit for the 'Larry' role (even in the 2000 TV movie).  He really looks like him. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001601/

Why don't the Farrellys/MGM talk to Paymer, Michael Chiklis, and Paul Ben Victor?  I always thought these three would be the best bet; they've got the look and the talent.  Just my three cents...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Why don't the Farrellys/MGM talk to Paymer, Michael Chiklis, and Paul Ben Victor?  I always thought these three would be the best bet; they've got the look and the talent.  Just my three cents...

The Farrelly project remains what it set out to be back in 2001... an "updated-for-the-21st-century" version of the Stooges, focusing on bodily functions for sight gags.

Warner Bros. passed after a couple years, the Farrellys weren't able to privately produce it, an independent film corp. did nothing with it for a couple years... it's now 2009 and MGM/UA has signed on, while dealing with serious financial issues and a bleak outlook.

Paymer, Chiklis, Victor... Carrey, Del Toro, Penn... past names attached to this crappola included Jack Black, Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp...  it doesn't matter.

If you take a pile of manure and adorn it with it tinsel... when you're done, all you've got is shit and dirty, smelly tinsel.

xraffle

I read in The Three Stooges Journal yesterday that this movie is postponed to 2010. What else is new? This movie was supposed to be out in 2004, but it constantly keeps getting pushed back. I don't think this film will ever be finished.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I don't think this film will ever be finished.

I'm hoping the damnable thing won't even get started (beyond whatever crap the Farrellys are passing off as a script, anyway.)

If you take a pile of manure and adorn it with it tinsel... when you're done, all you've got is shit and dirty, smelly tinsel.

That sums up my feelings about this "idea" pretty succinctly. ;D

Offline FineBari3

What glorious news this is!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

chad2411

I agree, lets just remember the stooges of the glory days.  Don't screw up a good thing.  I think they should drop the whole darn thing.

Offline OldFred

See what happens Boys & Girls when you wish really, really hard. Your  wish comes true! [yay]

Offline FineBari3

See what happens Boys & Girls when you wish really, really hard. Your  wish comes true! [yay]

I can hear Penn's agent telling him "This project is a sinking ship! Get out now!"

Penn was the only legitimate thing associated with this film, I guess...
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline locoboymakesgood

I read in The Three Stooges Journal yesterday that this movie is postponed to 2010. What else is new? This movie was supposed to be out in 2004, but it constantly keeps getting pushed back. I don't think this film will ever be finished.
This "movie" has been in development hell since the late 90s. It was one of the first films I ever saw on Corona Coming Attractions in the Development Hell section. Even before the Farrally's envisioned this pile of shit, there were some other people attached to it way before when.. and I remember Russell Crowe and Jim Carrey being attached to this years ago. There's been so much going on, it's just one of those movies that will never get off the ground.

I don't even believe there's been official confirmation that del Toro and Carrey have even signed on. Just more Hollywood hearsay.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The revolving casting door on this decade-old, ill-advised, comedy-of-errors idea continues. Peter Farrelly says that Jim Carrey has dropped out as Curly, and Paul Giamatti has signed on as Larry...
http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/more_names/blog/2009/08/three_stooges_casting_news.html

Keep in mind that the Farrellys have been trying to get this going since 2000. Although the Farrellys are probably sincere in their efforts, all the studio press releases, particularly MGM's of the past several months, are publicity gimmicks.

As the L.A. Times said last March (when the Carrey/Del Toro/Penn story went out), this was a ploy by MGM to generate investor interest in the studio; MGM is tottering on bankruptcy. This Stooge film is now where it's always been... in discussion stage only. When you read that Actor XYZ has "signed-on," what that actually means is, Actor XYZ made some sort of verbal OK and/or letter of intent... and the studio has compensated the Actor with a nominal fee, or charitable contribution in their name, or linked them to another, real, in-house studio project, for permission to use their name in ongoing press releases.

Don't take this latest news as real news. Because none of it has been real news. Just Hollywood doing Hollywood stuff.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I've had ONE young person at work (who has seen my calendars and other Stooge paraphernalia) talk to me about this "so-called" flick ... and all he told me was that Jim Carrey was gonna play Curly and that he was on an extensive weight gain diet to make the part look real.

Of course, being the true Stooge fan, I had already known this, and astonished him by telling him that Sean Penn had dropped out of the movie.

But, according to BeAStooge, the latest clap is just clap.

I think I'll keep my trap shut and see if he comes up with a Paul Giamatti scoop ...
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Larry Larry

Thank goodness.

If a great director could make a serious biographical Three Stooges drama along the lines of "Man on the Moon" or "Chaplin" or "Ray" then fine.  In the right hands, that could be one of those big year-end award contenders. 

But this Farrally nonsense sounds awful.  If completed, it is doomed to rank along-side other Hollywood's other stench-filled remakes of "The Honeymooners" and "The Little Rascals".  Anyone clamoring for "The New Laurel and Hardy" on Blu-ray?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
In my worthless as always opinion, Sean Penn was only good in Fast Times At Ridgemont High as Spicoli,   (This is history I see the globe over there)

Offline FineBari3

In my worthless as always opinion, Sean Penn was only good in Fast Times At Ridgemont High as Spicoli,   (This is history I see the globe over there)

Agreed.

".....THONK....THONK......Do you hear that? That was my skull!!!!!"
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
As the L.A. Times said last March (when the Carrey/Del Toro/Penn story went out), this was a ploy by MGM to generate investor interest in the studio; MGM is tottering on bankruptcy.

Variety reported yesterday, Nov. 11, that MGM/UA is headed to the auction block soon, and in desperate need of a miracle. If this occurs, the so-called Farrelly/C3 Stooge "comedy" will once again be without a studio.

Link above for the full article.

Excerpt...
Several sources say they expect that MGM will essentially be auctioned off within the next few weeks.

This would mean that a major, such as Time Warner, could buy the MGM-UA library while another entity might acquire the logo, and yet another deal could be made for United Artists. Sources speculated that Kirk Kerkorian, who has already bought and sold MGM twice, might buy the logo once again.

Any sort of auction would need approval of a two-thirds majority of the bondholders, and a couple of the bondholders insist they have not been contacted as yet. Some sources believe a pre-packaged bankruptcy is still an option, and there is still an expectation that Time-Warner might make a last eleventh hour bid.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Time Warner should just get the whole library in one fail swoop. I think that'd be for the best.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Dolemite

I've been looking for the film that the guy from The Shield played Curly in and it doesn't seem to be on DVD.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I've been looking for the film that the guy from The Shield played Curly in and it doesn't seem to be on DVD.

The Three Stooges TV movie where Michael Chiklis played Curly has not been released on DVD. A video of the film was available, though not commercially. It was released to Emmy voters only.

Offline FineBari3

The Three Stooges TV movie where Michael Chiklis played Curly has not been released on DVD. A video of the film was available, though not commercially. It was released to Emmy voters only.

It comes up occasionally on cable TV, but I can't remember the station.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline OldFred

It comes up occasionally on cable TV, but I can't remember the station.

American Movie Classics (AMC) shows it every once in awhile.

jka12002

I allways thought that Joe Pesci would have made a great Moe. But too bad hes very old now. shucks...

Offline ProfessorStooge

Joe Pesci would make a perfect Joe Besser, but he has a New York accent which Besser did not. Also, some of Pesci's films cast him as tough guys, which is totally opposite Besser's personality.

jka12002

I actually had a dream list of actors that could have played the roles perfectly:

Moe - Joe Pesci, Sam Kinison, G.W Bailey
Larry - Steve Gutenberg, Michael Richards, Ryan Styles
Curly - John Candy
Shemp - Steve Beucsemi, Eugene Levy
Joe Besser - Omid Djalili (The Warden from The Mummy)
Curly Joe - Wayne Knight