Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THREE LITTLE SEW AND SEWS - Observation

Happened to watch this last night and made an observation. You know the scene where Moe & Larry are locked up and Curly's taunting them? When Curly talks quietly to them, this might be the best example on film of Jerry Howard's natural voice.

Agree/disagree? Anyone know any better examples?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

I seem to remember a scene where he whispering at the party in CRASH GOES THE HASH where I thought the same thing.  I'll have to look over THE THREE LITTLE SEW AND SEWS footage.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

Wouldn't the scene in "3 Dumb Clucks" where the Stooges barge in on "Popsie" be a good example?  The lines in particular: 

"You boys be nice and I'll let you come to my wedding this afternoon.  Here's some money, go out and get yourself some new clothes." 

And: "Now there's three, nice, smart boys.

...Just my three cents.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

I'll have to watch CLUCKS again. I recall watching it once expecting to hear Jerry using his natural voice, and ending up thinking he really didn't much.

Offline archiezappa

I was thinking about this.  I believe that Jerry Howard used his real voice in "Roast Beef And Movies," which is his only solo film appearance.

chad2411

I just watched Dizzy Detectives today, and in the scene with Curly rocking in a rocking chair, he is talking to himself in a normal tone.  May be a good comparison!!

Offline curlysdame

I was thinking about this.  I believe that Jerry Howard used his real voice in "Roast Beef And Movies," which is his only solo film appearance.

Oh yeah, that's right!  I totally forgot about that one.  He used his natural voice in their cameo in "Hollywood Party" too.  Although, his 'real' voice isn't quite as deep in these earlier films, as he was still a baby-faced 30 year old.   ;)

And the scene in 'Dizzy Detectives' is a good 'sample' also.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Just watched DIZZY DETECTIVES. The Curly rocking-chair scene isn't a bad example of Jerry's natural voice, except that most of it is in a cartoony "shaky" tone.

I got to see a short bit from ROAST BEEF on YouTube. Judging from this, that film indeed may be our best example of Jerry's natural voice. If I get the chance I'd like to see more of it.

I'll have to watch 3 DUMB CLUCKS again. I think when I watched it before, I expected his real voice to be lower compared to his "Curly" voice.

Offline locoboymakesgood

"You go find the prince, I'll peddle the lemonade."

That sounds like Jerry, not Curly.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)