Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Experiment........

vomit · 33 · 10391

Offline metaldams

I'm up to episode #36 or thereabouts.  Much better than the 1st year.  Can hardly wait to get to the "Shemps"!!  Off topic, I saw Iron Maiden's Documentary "Flight 666": a great movie, and not just for fans.  Highly recommended!

[youtube=425,350]IZDOMGAqJ4M[/youtube]

I plan on getting FLIGHT 666 soon, hopefully this weekend.  It was sold out (CD and DVD) in Taget by Thursday, and only came out on Tuesday.  More interested in the film in all honsety, since Maiden has a zillion live albums already!  Not on DVD yet, but I also really want to see ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL.  It's about a band who's been around 35 years that no one's ever heard of that are still going.  Of course, I have two of their CD's.

As for the Stooges, you're right, they do get better as they go along.  I'm really looking forward to watching Vol. 6, as some of those Shemp shorts have gotten little airplay.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

I plan on getting FLIGHT 666 soon, hopefully this weekend.  It was sold out (CD and DVD) in Taget by Thursday, and only came out on Tuesday.  More interested in the film in all honsety, since Maiden has a zillion live albums already!  Not on DVD yet, but I also really want to see ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL.  It's about a band who's been around 35 years that no one's ever heard of that are still going.  Of course, I have two of their CD's.

As for the Stooges, you're right, they do get better as they go along.  I'm really looking forward to watching Vol. 6, as some of those Shemp shorts have gotten little airplay.

Metaldams,

You kill me.  Not only do you appreciate Shemp, you appear to love Iron Maiden and Metal.  Back in the day I owned two Anvil CD's.  One had "Mad Dog" on it and the disc that came after that had "Blood on the Ice". They were pretty good.  It certainly looks like a good documentary.  If you see it, let me know what you think, OK?
Specto Caelum!

Offline stooge1029

Oh yeah I used to have the three stooges scrapbook and Id tape the episodes late at night on the family channel then mark down which ones I had in the filmography section in the back of the book. At one point I had all the shemps and curlys. I really didnt care too much about Joe shorts and they werent played much. I was thinking of watching all the shorts in chronological order ending with volume seven once they all come out... that is a cool idea.

Offline BeatleShemp

Oh yeah I used to have the three stooges scrapbook and Id tape the episodes late at night on the family channel then mark down which ones I had in the filmography section in the back of the book. At one point I had all the shemps and curlys. I really didnt care too much about Joe shorts and they werent played much. I was thinking of watching all the shorts in chronological order ending with volume seven once they all come out... that is a cool idea.

I did that too!!  When I was 13, I got the Three Stooges Scrapbook, and checked off every short I had seen up to that point.  Six years ago, I put my final check under QUIZ WHIZZ.

Offline metaldams

Metaldams,

You kill me.  Not only do you appreciate Shemp, you appear to love Iron Maiden and Metal.  Back in the day I owned two Anvil CD's.  One had "Mad Dog" on it and the disc that came after that had "Blood on the Ice". They were pretty good.  It certainly looks like a good documentary.  If you see it, let me know what you think, OK?

Banner day today.  Got my VOL. 6 and FLIGHT 666 DVD's!  The Red Sox also beat The Marlins 6 - 1.  Six is my lucky number today.

As for Anvil, I have METAL ON METAL and FORGED IN FIRE, and have had them way before the documentary hoopla.  They're pretty damn good.  Will catch the movie whenever it comes out on DVD.

[youtube=425,350]FF4H8lB2Y_o[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline quote93

would have been easier / better IF Sony had released them by production year rather than calendar year

Offline vomit

Well the great experiment (watching ALL the shorts in chronological order) commenced on May 25 of this year.  As of yesterday I have rolled through all the "Curlys"!  What a momentous undertaking!  Have not seen a lot of these in 20+ years!  Good times, good times.  Some thoughts and observations of the Curly's:

----The 1st episodes (34-40) were uneven.  Sound effects were not totally in place, and some of the shorts were a little "iffy" (i.e. "woman Haters", "Mutts to You")....
----There were some gems in those early years ("Disorder", "Dizzy Doctors").
----From '40 to '44 they hit their stride with Curly.....Moe as Adolf Hitler was great!
----I think one of the MOST overlooked shorts is "Idiots Deluxe"!  Holy smokes, this one was a riot.  Moe was on the top of his game, and could possibly be his finest performance!  "Oh my nerves! My nerves!"
----I think I first thought Curly was looking ill in "Micro-Phonies"....all the shorts from late '45 on, he seemed to be not his self.  Can anyone tell me if Curly had a stroke in this time frame....he was looking ill & old....

What a great thing!  I am ready to start the Shemp years!  My boy can hardly wait.  There are going to be some great ones coming up. This has been one of those undertakings that will bring pride to me and my son for years to come!!!!

Blatz for you all!

Specto Caelum!

Offline FineBari3

----I think I first thought Curly was looking ill in "Micro-Phonies"....all the shorts from late '45 on, he seemed to be not his self.  Can anyone tell me if Curly had a stroke in this time frame....he was looking ill & old....

Blatz for you all!

Curly supposedly had a stroke before the stroke that incapacitated him on the set of 'Half Wit's Holiday'. I cannot recall exactly the year, but yes, you are correct in how he looked. I say he looked confused.

I wish I really never discovered that Curly made films when he was ill, which I did discover about 8 years ago.  It is painful for me to watch Curly in some of these shorts. I first thought he was drunk, then I realized that it was probably confusion from a stroke. You can see the confusion in his face, and also most of the gags are done by Larry and Moe.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson