Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Bruce Campbell Fans Here?

· 34 · 8407

Dog Hambone

I just rented Bruce Campbell's newest movie, "My Name Is Bruce". I busted out laughing at one point when he asked someone, "Are you married or happy?". Add that to his funny Stooge routine in "Army of Darkness", and I'm thinking this guy is a big Three Stooges fan.

Any other Bruce Campbell fans here? If so, please chime in! 

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'm also a Bruce Campbell fan.  I love all of the Evil Dead films, and of course, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.  I know that he and the Raimi brothers (Sam and Ted) are supposed to be big Three Stooges fans.  I haven't seen My Name is Bruce yet, but I'll have to track that down.   ;D

Offline Justin T

Well, my avatar should be a dead giveaway, but yes I am a big fan of Bruce Campbell.  ;D

I loved him in the Evil Dead movies, the sequence in Army of Darkness where he does the stooge
eye poking with the skeletons is classic. After watching him in those I was a fan of his instantly.

I watched him on Xena and Hercules, I even watched Brisco County Jr and Jack of all Trades, his previous short
lived TV shows.

When I heard he was on the tv show Burn Notice on USA. I had to check it out, not only is he great in it, but I love the
rest of the cast (esp the lead actor Jeffery Donavan) and the shows' premise. It's quickly become one of my favorite TV shows.
Season 3 starts in June and I can't wait.

I also have had the great pleasure of meeting Bruce in person. When he was on tour promoting his autobiography
If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor he stopped at my college to do a Q and A and then host
a back to back showing of Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. He's awesome in person, and I was one of many
who recieved an autographed copy of his book to end the evening. It's one of my most prized posessions.

I have not yet seen My Name is Bruce, but I have been looking foward to rent it when I can.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Dog Hambone

;D
Wow, muchas gracias, Justin T. I didn't even know Bruce had any books out. After reading your post, I had to find out more, & ended up ordering both of his books from Amazon, as well as Bubba Ho-Tep (which I haven't seen). It was in a package of 3 for $30.65.   

By the way, I remember seeing your avatar, but couldn't recall the handle that went with it. 
 [clap]

Offline Justin T

;D
Wow, muchas gracias, Justin T. I didn't even know Bruce had any books out. After reading your post, I had to find out more, & ended up ordering both of his books from Amazon, as well as Bubba Ho-Tep (which I haven't seen). It was in a package of 3 for $30.65.   

By the way, I remember seeing your avatar, but couldn't recall the handle that went with it. 
 [clap]

Awesome! that's a great deal you got there. If Chins Could Kill is a great read, you will love it.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Dog Hambone

I don't usually watch those DVD extra features where they have clips about the making of the movie, etc., but I watched  the one that came with "My Name Is Bruce". They titled it "Heart of Dorkness". When they introduce some of the staff, a couple of them are nicknamed Shemp. Also, there is a short sequence in the movie where Bruce is dancing with Grace Thorsen, the female lead. The line isn't in the movie itself, but while they are filming them dancing, Bruce says, "My father died dancing ... at the end of a rope"!   

Offline Ectahoozis

Quickly on the Bruce Campbell topic, I can't help chiming in (17 years late)  I saw the Evil Dead movies...especially Evil Dead 1.  This movie was pure non stop horror, with no infusion of comedy...they didn't even give you time to relax..a classic!  Greatest Horror of all time.  I think the biggest theartical dissapointment in my life was going to Army of Darkness.  How ED & AoD are lumped together in any way whatsoever is beyond me.  If I want laughs, I'll watch the stooges.  I hate it when they try to mix horror and comedy...my $.02

Dog Hambone

How ED & AoD are lumped together in any way whatsoever is beyond me. 

I agree, these 3 movies in the "trilogy" don't seem to be related at all. I certainly understand your point of view on horror & comedy not mixing. But, I'm one of those folks who watch sci fi & horror for the laughs, even when they are supposed to be serious. I also like making wisecracks, a la Mystery Science Theater 3000. 
[cheers]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I agree, these 3 movies in the "trilogy" don't seem to be related at all. I certainly understand your point of view on horror & comedy not mixing. But, I'm one of those folks who watch sci fi & horror for the laughs, even when they are supposed to be serious. I also like making wisecracks, a la Mystery Science Theater 3000. 
[cheers]

The common elements to all three movies are the character of "Ash" Williams (Bruce Campbell) and the dread book, The Necronomicon (lifted from H.P. Lovecraft.)  Evil Dead II is essentially a remake of the first movie with a different cast of victims.  (Ash apparently didn't learn his lesson about staying away from remote cabins in the woods the first time around.)  At the end of Evil Dead II, Ash is sucked into a vortex, and in Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness he drops out of the vortex in the year 1300 AD (roughly.)

I love MST3K.  I have about 95 episodes collected so far, including a few from their "Zero" season, when the show originally aired on a local TV station in Minnesota.  Only 102 more to go!   ;D

Offline archiezappa

The common elements to all three movies are the character of "Ash" Williams (Bruce Campbell) and the dread book, The Necronomicon (lifted from H.P. Lovecraft.)  Evil Dead II is essentially a remake of the first movie with a different cast of victims.  (Ash apparently didn't learn his lesson about staying away from remote cabins in the woods the first time around.)  At the end of Evil Dead II, Ash is sucked into a vortex, and in Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness he drops out of the vortex in the year 1300 AD (roughly.)

I love MST3K.  I have about 95 episodes collected so far, including a few from their "Zero" season, when the show originally aired on a local TV station in Minnesota.  Only 102 more to go!   ;D

I also love MST3K.  That's one of the best shows ever!  They invented commentaries for feature films.  I love their stuff.  I don't have any on DVD, but I'd love to see some again.  I actually still have one episode on vhs that I recorded off of television way back when.  It's the one with the movie "Hellcats."  That movie is horrible and their jokes about the movie are hilarious!  Great stuff!   ;D

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I also love MST3K.  That's one of the best shows ever!  They invented commentaries for feature films.  I love their stuff.  I don't have any on DVD, but I'd love to see some again.  I actually still have one episode on vhs that I recorded off of television way back when.  It's the one with the movie "Hellcats."  That movie is horrible and their jokes about the movie are hilarious!  Great stuff!   ;D

Do a search on Google video for MST3K with the duration set to > 20 min. and you'll find a lot of them available online.

Offline metaldams

This may sound crazy, but I've never seen an MST3K episode.  I really need to, because I've seen plenty of those movies WITHOUT the commentary.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
This may sound crazy, but I've never seen an MST3K episode.  I really need to, because I've seen plenty of those movies WITHOUT the commentary.

OMG!  You have GOT to follow that link I posted earlier and watch some of those online - you'll love them!

I'm attaching a spreadsheet I made listing every episode of MST3K, with when it originally aired, on which channel, and which film they viewed.  I use a modified version of it to keep track of which ones I have.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline metaldams

OMG!  You have GOT to follow that link I posted earlier and watch some of those online - you'll love them!

I'm attaching a spreadsheet I made listing every episode of MST3K, with when it originally aired, on which channel, and which film they viewed.  I use a modified version of it to keep track of which ones I have.

Can't view them at work, but I'll DEFINITELY view an episode later tonight.

A few years ago when I was working at the bank, we had a Pollyanna, or whatever it's called, around Christmas time at the office.  I was thrilled when the most shallow, gossipy woman in the office got bypassed for all the good gifts and got the present I contributed, a $1.99 DVD copy of SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Thanks for the attachment.  Now, I can start collecting MST3K.

Dog Hambone

If Chins Could Kill is a great read, you will love it.

Hey, I'm almost finished reading this one & you are right. It's a terrific book!

And, now I know what he means when he uses the term "Fake Shemps" in the closing credits of a lot of his movies. 

Offline Justin T

Hey, I'm almost finished reading this one & you are right. It's a terrific book!

And, now I know what he means when he uses the term "Fake Shemps" in the closing credits of a lot of his movies. 

Glad your enjoying it.

I was lucky, I got into Bruce in the late 90's while in college. By that time I knew all kinds of stuff
about the Stooges and when I saw the Fake Shemp the first time, I had an idea what it was referring to
but It took me a few years to finally get it.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline ArPharazon

I love the guy.  I have DVD's of ED2, AOD, Bubba-Ho-Tep and even the 2 Sci-Fi Channel movies Alien Apocalypse and Man With The Screaming Brain.  Those last 2 aren't as good as the others, but still Bruce.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I haven't seen My Name is Bruce yet, but I'll have to track that down.   ;D

I bought myself a copy of My Name is Bruce for my birthday and watched it this weekend.  Hysterical!  If you're a Bruce Campbell fan and haven't seen it yet, you've definitely got to track it down.   ;D

Dog Hambone

I bought myself a copy of My Name is Bruce for my birthday and watched it this weekend.  Hysterical!  If you're a Bruce Campbell fan and haven't seen it yet, you've definitely got to track it down.   ;D

It's been a few months since I saw "My Name Is Bruce", but I'm still laughing about that scene where he is fleeing in terror & shooting a gun back over his shoulder at the monster, & taking out some of the fleeing townsfolk in the process.

Also, I'm almost finished reading his second book, "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way", & there's a boatload of laugh-out-loud funny stuff in that book. 

Offline archiezappa

I definitely need to check that one out.

Offline middlenamewayne

Here's some links to Bruce's own Stooge-inspired "two-reelers":

"Torro, Torro, Torro!" -

"The Blind Waiter" [pt.1] -

"The Blind Waiter" [pt.2] -

"Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter" -

(I couldn't find anything on "The Sappy Sap" apart from a short 15th gen excerpt.)

- mnw

PS: Quick! Can you name a film in which Bruce Campbell was co-billed with Emil Sitka? (Hint: The name of Sitka's character in the film is "Mr. Abernathy")

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
PS: Quick! Can you name a film in which Bruce Campbell was co-billed with Emil Sitka? (Hint: The name of Sitka's character in the film is "Mr. Abernathy")

That's easy - Crimewave (1985).  I love that movie and just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.   ;D

UPDATE:  My error - you obviously mean a different film.  I just looked at Crimewave and realized Emil's character was Colonel Rodgers, not Mr. Abernathy.  I won't give away the answer, since I only know it by looking it up.  I'm going to have to watch that one, though - I don't think I've seen that one before.

Offline middlenamewayne

That's easy - Crimewave (1985).  I love that movie and just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.   ;D

UPDATE:  My error - you obviously mean a different film.  I just looked at Crimewave and realized Emil's character was Colonel Rodgers, not Mr. Abernathy.  I won't give away the answer, since I only know it by looking it up.  I'm going to have to watch that one, though - I don't think I've seen that one before.

No, no! You still win since I asked for "a" film with both in it. Crimewave slipped past me cuz I misremembered that Bruce's scenes had all been cut from the final edit.

Here's something I learned about Crimewave by clicking your IMDB link:

In the original script, Crush initially tries to get into Mrs. Trend's apartment by using the dead body of Emil Sitka's character Colonel Rodgers like a puppet and doing an impression of him through the door!

I also recommend The Nutt House (aka The Nutty Nutt) or at least the last quarter of it, despite it being disowned by Bruce (he co-wrote the screenplay). Not only is it implied that Emil's character is "doing" Traci Lords' character(!), but in addition, the flick concludes with what may be the greatest pie fight in film history!

Now, this should be easy:

In Intruder, what does Mr. Abernathy (Emil) say to a young couple while he waits in line at the store?

- mnw

Dog Hambone

I realize it might be a little late to be posting this, but for those of you who haven't seen it, SyFy channel is showing MY NAME IS BRUCE tonight at 9:00 EST.

[violent4]