The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Master Debates IV: Three Stooges Movie

shemps#1 · 65 · 29465

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Muahahahah ... !! The Arch Rival of the Master Debaters is striking back!
(do-da-do-dah-do-da-do-dah ... woooah ... woooah) I predict this will be a two-and-two vote and Shemps#1 will have to decide!

I also "see" that he will take an inordinate amount of time to come to his decision.

(Mark my words, Metaldams, I'm on to you and your "goody-two-shoes" attitude. I'll get you yet ---
Muahahahah .... Rwahahaha!!!)

Also ... I'm still scratching my head for a TMD-V topic. Hhhmmmm ... need some Nytol and NoDoze so I can dream that I couldn't sleep ... (hysterical cackling)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Now, do the other Judgy-wudgies (Rob, Justin and Doug) have any questions for me and WIO? I feel like S&C is the only judge. ;D

I can't honestly think of anything more to ask, so I'm going to pass.  Doug, do you have anything?

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
(Mark my words, Metaldams, I'm on to you and your "goody-two-shoes" attitude. I'll get you yet ---
Muahahahah .... Rwahahaha!!!)

Goody two shoes?  Pfft! I'm just a winner.   ;D

Good job so far, guys.  I have one question for both contestants.  Other than that, nothing else.  See below.

[youtube=425,350]IiSta--f_Lc[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The floor is now open to the general public for questioning. The floor will close on 11:30 am EST Friday.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain

Good job so far, guys.  I have one question for both contestants.  Other than that, nothing else.  See below.

[youtube=425,350]IiSta--f_Lc[/youtube]

If THAT'S your question, metal, here's your answer......   :D

xraffle

Huh? He’s talking Pig Latin and I don’t know what he’s saying.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
You can here most of his "speech" in this video ...

Eagles of Death Metal - Speaking in Tongues)
[youtube=425,350]Gz_BVyYgEZo&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
Here's my question:

Suppose the Farrelly Brothers are big fans of the Three Stooges.  I'm sure they, as well as Jim Carrey, watched the Stooges growing up as we all did.  Despite their style, do you think that if they're big fans that would help or hinder the movie in any way?

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
You can here most of his "speech" in this video ...

Eagles of Death Metal - Speaking in Tongues)
[youtube=425,350]Gz_BVyYgEZo&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Exactly!  That's speaking in tongues he was doing. 

Or as Tilton would say, "That's speaking in tongues, for all you illiterate folks out there."

Now, back to the debates.  I'll talk brother Bob all day, but I didn't mean to interrupt the competition.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Here's my question:

Suppose the Farrelly Brothers are big fans of the Three Stooges.  I'm sure they, as well as Jim Carrey, watched the Stooges growing up as we all did.  Despite their style, do you think that if they're big fans that would help or hinder the movie in any way?

Hey, Archie...Welcome aboard.....

To answer your first query, yes, Peter and Bobby Farrelly ARE fans of the old Stooges films......

Here's how I would respond to your question -- "Is Earl Scheib, the man that painted a million cars and trucks in his day, a fan of 'The Beverly Hillbillies?'  I'm sure he watched all those old CBS 'Beverly Hillbilly' shows back in the '60's.  Despite Scheib's style, do you think if Scheib IS a big fan of that show, would that help or hinder his ability to paint the Clampett's truck?"  My answer to that would be, "Uhh, folks, you wouldn't get anywhere by painting that old Clampett truck.  It doesn't matter if you get the greatest auto painter in the history of auto painting -- A new coat of paint on that truck ain't gonna help the show at all, and, furthermore, by painting it in the first place, you'll RUIN the set-up of the characters and their plot.  The truck's SUPPOSED to look like that.  You're wasting your time trying to re-paint that old truck.  You're better off just leaving it alone, it's just fine the way it was."

xraffle

Here's my question:

My answer is: yes, of course it will help. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know that the Farrelly Brothers were stooge fans, but since WIO said they are, then I'll take his word for it. In that case, it will definitely help. I bet the Farrelly Brothers feel the same way I do and that's why they're making this film. The last film the stooges ever made was Kook's Tour in 1970. That's over 35 years ago. Ever since then, a stooge film has never been made. They probably felt that it's time to bring in more stooge fans and make a new film.

Now, my side of the debate isn't: the movie will be good. My side is: see the movie and support it. By supporting this movie, you are supporting the stooges. This movie isn't intended to replace the stooges. It's more of a dedication to our fellow boys.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Xraffle …
We all know Mel Gibson is a HUGE fan of the Stooges. (He awarded our boys a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Movie Awards – he also did his rendition of Curly “woob-woobs” in Lethal Weapon 1 and maybe others. [can’t recall any now]). He has also become a successful director and producer, with an Academy Award for Braveheart. Is it just timing, good fortune and “luck” that the Farrelly Bros. are the ones making this film? And even if they are, couldn’t they even consider Mel Gibson directing the film? If you are going to argue that ANY fictitious incarnation of our boys on film is worthy of support, please tell me why we have to support one with directing credits as Dumb and Dumber and Osmosis Jones?

WhyIOughta …
You paint an interesting picture of the general public's view of "remakes". However. IF the essence of the character can be replicated, no matter HOW blatant that attempt is, WHY do you find it worthy of boycott?
And I know I'm leaving you an "out" with the the proverbial "if" in my question, but hey ...

xraffle

Xraffle …
We all know Mel Gibson is a HUGE fan of the Stooges. (He awarded our boys a Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV Movie Awards – he also did his rendition of Curly “woob-woobs” in Lethal Weapon 1 and maybe others. [can’t recall any now]). He has also become a successful director and producer, with an Academy Award for Braveheart. Is it just timing, good fortune and “luck” that the Farrelly Bros. are the ones making this film? And even if they are, couldn’t they even consider Mel Gibson directing the film? If you are going to argue that ANY fictitious incarnation of our boys on film is worthy of support, please tell me why we have to support one with directing credits as Dumb and Dumber and Osmosis Jones?

I don’t know if I’ll call it good fortune and luck, but I think the reason they are the ones making the film is because they’re big fans of the stooges. It’s time to bring the stooges back to the big screen and let the people of the 21st century know all about the three stooges. Yes, since Mel Gibson is a stooge and a good director, he would be a great director for this film. But the Farrelly Brothers will do a good job as well since they’re also stooge fans.

I haven’t seen the movie “Osmosis Jones,” so I can’t comment on how good that movie is, but “Dumb and Dumber” is a funny movie that most of us all know and enjoy. The movie is hilarious from beginning to end and I think the Farrelly Brothers will do just as good of a job with this new stooge film.

Most people here feel this film is a “fictitious incarnation” of our boys and therefore, we must boycott this film. I happen to disagree. That’s like saying Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig are fictitious incarnations of Sean Connery. Therefore, we should boycott every Bond film made after Sean Connery. As long as new Bond films are made, people will continue to remember James Bond for a long time. This can happen to the stooges as well.

As a stooge fan, it’ll also be interesting to see what the movie is like. Whether I think this movie is stupid or not, I’d be interested to see this movie because after all, I’m a stooge fan. Most people here should feel the same way. Even if I didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t say “boycott the film” right now before the project has even started. That’s like saying you hate a certain kind of food without even tasting it first. At least see the movie before we make any judgments. That way, you’ll know for sure whether this movie was a mistake or not. That will indeed help you “feel better for it, in the morning.”

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain

WhyIOughta …
You paint an interesting picture of the general public's view of "remakes". However. IF the essence of the character can be replicated, no matter HOW blatant that attempt is, WHY do you find it worthy of boycott?
And I know I'm leaving you an "out" with the the proverbial "if" in my question, but hey ...

Thanks in advance for the "out," my friend, but i'll not be in need of it, with this topic.  Here's how I would respond -- "If such intricate characters, situations and the like were so easily replicated, every pro baseball team would look like the Yankees, every foreign country would be just like the United States, and every movie would be as good as 'Casablanca.'  Bottom line -  You CANNOT correctly replicate a historical legacy like the Three Stooges.  PERIOD.  Unfortunately, there ARE baseball teams like the Texas Rangers,  third-world countries like Somalia, and movies like 'Osmosis Jones' and 'Me, Myself and Irene.'  It just can't be DONE correctly. 

Oh, and, X, in regards to "saying you hate a certain kind of food without even tasting it first," I don't know about YOU, but I don't need to taste a $hit sandwich to verify that it tastes like crap.  I could tell you that, way before it's in front of me, on a plate, OR on the screen.   :P

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
The floor is now open to the general public for questioning. The floor will close on 11:30 am EST Friday.

Whew....Actually, that's a lucky break for me....I'll be taking my 12-year-old on a 'Boy Scout Camp-O-Ree" camp-out starting today, Friday, at around 6pm EST.  I won't return until Sunday morning (If I return at all -- I ain't the 'camping-out' type, this oughta be fun)....... So, in the immortal words of (I believe) Meg Ryan in the movie, "Top Gun" -- "Take me now, or lose me forever!"     :laugh:

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The floor is now closed to questioning and open to the judges to render their verdicts.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
"If such intricate characters, situations and the like were so easily replicated, every pro baseball team would look like the Yankees

As a Red Sox fan, you're lucky I'm just going to ignore that statement and still judge you fairly.  ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
This debate topic has actually been a bit harder for me to decide than the others.  I think part of the problem is with how the question was framed, since I am not usually one to participate in "boycotts", per se, except when it comes to having any dealings with government thugs.  Xraffle certainly had the tougher row to hoe in arguing that Stooges fans should actively support a film that isn't even made yet.

Personally, I still plan on actively ignoring this film project (assuming it ever does actually get made) because it's being made by the Farrelly brothers.  I am not a fan of their movies, at all; I find their type of "humor" to be very juvenille and not really funny.  From the accounts I read before about the Farrellys treatment of this film it is going to have plenty of typical toilet humor, something that you never got from the Stooges.  (I think WIO should have dug up some of that info - it would have made his case stronger.)  If that is indeed the way this film gets made, it would actually besmirch the Stooges.

Anyway, my judgment goes to Why I Oughta.  I was already inclined his way, and then he won me completely this morning with this comment:

Oh, and, X, in regards to "saying you hate a certain kind of food without even tasting it first," I don't know about YOU, but I don't need to taste a $hit sandwich to verify that it tastes like crap.  I could tell you that, way before it's in front of me, on a plate, OR on the screen.   :P

xraffle

...I don't need to taste a $hit sandwich to verify that it tastes like crap.  I could tell you that, way before it's in front of me, on a plate, OR on the screen.   :P

Oh come on. You can't believe a word of that. Maybe that sandwich tastes good after all. You'll never know till you try it. :P

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead
Oh come on. You can't believe a word of that. Maybe that sandwich tastes good after all. You'll never know till you try it. :P

Bon Appetite!    [thumbsup]

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

stooged and confused

This was a tough choice and I'll tell you why. At first, I couldn't pick either based on the original posts because they were too full of assumptions. Neither entries seemed like a debate at that point. So I PM'd Shemps #1 to make sure I could ask for more clarification with my SAME rebuttal content. The point was to bring out what I knew both of these guys had in them (sorry to make you two work so hard  :)

Anyway, it worked. They went from assuming to giving points to their argument and that was what I needed to make my decision. You know, light the fuse!

I tend to feel that the new movie won't be able to recreate the magic of the original Stooges and WIO had that in his favor and he was wise to capitalize on that. However, when he mentioned "faceless" characters like Bond, I was driving off the road. I wasn't convinced that the character was faceless. Batman, yes. Bond, no. After all, don't most of us see the Batman movies primarily for the villain? I do. Between that and the Marquis De Sade business, WIO started to lose me.

So, my vote goes to X because, in the end, his argument was stronger when he stopped assuming and used points to strengthen his stance.

Both of you guys tried very hard and I appreciate the effort from both of you, but I have to tip my hat to X for this round.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

Offline Justin T

• Toastmaster General
  • Birdbrain
I'll have my response tomorrow.

As will I, I'm having a hard time picking a winner.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
OK, I'd like to start off by saying this is an incredibly hard argument to make on both sides, simply because this movie hasn't even been filmed yet!  That said, I'm afraid I'm going to give my vote to WHYIOUGHTA based on the fact that his argument will more likely be reality.

X, I appreciate the sentiment of your argument, but even if this film is a success, it will be a trend oriented one that will have no long lasting impact.  When The Three Stooges were huge with a new generation of TV youngsters in the 50's, there was a lot less media to choose from.  Today, we have 10,000 channels, tons of hip-hop to illegally download, more sex, more drugs, more alcohol, and brighter, shinier new movies to watch.  Trust me, youth culture could care less about old culture.  Even if they like the new movie, I highly doubt they'll care to check the old shorts.

WHYIOUGHTA, there's no proof of what you say will come true other than my gut instinct says you're probably right.  Living on this Earth for 30 years has told me two things:

1.) You can't recreate the old
2.) People who care about the old are in the minority
- Doug Sarnecky