Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges Coll. Vol. 6 1949-1951, June 16

BeAStooge · 168 · 55932

Linked Events

• Stooges DVD Vol. 6 1949-1951: June 16, 2009 - June 22, 2009

xraffle

Conformed box sets, AT THE SAME QUALITY AS THUS FAR, even if it takes 10 volumes. That is what I, for one, want. NOT crap quality, NOT double-sided discs.

Assuming Sony follows the same three year pattern as the previous volumes, the last few volumes will look like this:

Volume 7- 1952-1954 (2 discs)
Volume 8- 1955-1957 (2 discs)
Volume 9- ??

I'm not sure how Sony will handle the last volume. It could be either 1958-1959 (1 disc) or they could make Volume 8 cover years 1955-1959, but that will require 3 discs. Either option will cause some kind of inconsistency in packaging. The only way Sony can maintain the same 2 disc volumes is to include the solo shorts, which is what the rumors are saying, or to add a couple of Curly-Joe movies to Volume 9.

Offline dimelives

I like the idea of including the solo shorts, and having it as:

Volume 7, 1952-1954 (2 discs)
Volume 8, 1955-1957 + Shemp solos (2 discs)
Volume 9, 1958-1959 + Joe solos (2 discs)

OR (if it fits better):

Volume 8, 1955-1957 (2 discs)
Volume 9, 1958-1959 + Shemp & Joe solos (2 discs)

Or even still:

Volume 8, 1955-1957 (2 discs)
Volume 9, 1958-1959 (2 discs, split up one year per disc. I know they'd be relatively brief discs, but they could just run it for a cheaper price. May actually help sales at that.)

Just ideas...

Offline Stooges#1

^ I like the "Or even still:" option the most. I think these sets should only include the shorts, not features/solos. Those should be left to its own collection.

Offline dimelives

After typing that out and thinking about it some more, I think I agree. Having JUST the shorts has been how it's been all this time, and I don't see any reason to change that up. And yeah, why not do the solos and features on their own collections? If Sony keeps up with the great restoration work and everything, I think sales would still be respectable!

Offline archiezappa

I have to agree with this.  Just the shorts.  The 190.  That's really all we need in these sets.  Another set with the Shemp Howard, Joe Besser & Joe DeRita shorts would be an excellent idea.  The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 11: The Solo Shorts. 

Then, we could have another box set of features.  How about The Three Stooges Collection, Volume 12: The Feature Films.  This should include all of their starring features at Columbia: "Rockin' In The Rockies," "Have Rocket Will Travel," "Stop! Look! And Laugh," "Three Stooges Meet Hercules," "Three Stooges In Orbit," "Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze" and "The Outlaws Is Coming."

How about that for some great box sets?

xraffle

Volume 9, 1958-1959 (2 discs, split up one year per disc. I know they'd be relatively brief discs, but they could just run it for a cheaper price. May actually help sales at that.)

I just got an idea. How about Volume 9: 1958-1959 with extras? Disc 1 contains the shorts and Disc 2 contains a whole mess of special features.

Offline dimelives

Just random special features from throughout all the years? I suppose it COULD work, but what kind of features?

I think I like the idea of just the plain-Jane shorts on this collection. But again, extras COULD work, if they were worth it.

Offline archiezappa

I'd prefer sets with just the short subjects, myself.  That's all these sets really need, anyway.  As for the final volume of short subjects, the solo shorts should be included.  I'm in favor of the release of *all* of the Columbia short subjects.  So, the shorts with Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita would be a perfect fit with the Three Stooges series.  That's where the fan base is for stuff like that.

Once all the Three Stooges and related short subjects are released, I'd like to see more Columbia short subjects from other actors.  Like the Charley Chase series.  That would be one that we all should support.  And some of the others that had short subjects like Andy Clyde, Harry Von Zell, etc. would be great on DVD.

xraffle

Just random special features from throughout all the years? I suppose it COULD work, but what kind of features?

I don't know. But I'm sure there has to be something they can use for extras since the previous volumes didn't have anything on them. How about that commentary with Shemp Howard?  :laugh:

Offline dimelives

I don't know. But I'm sure there has to be something they can use for extras since the previous volumes didn't have anything on them. How about that commentary with Shemp Howard?  :laugh:
Whaaaa? lol

I'm thinkin' they weren't really looking as far ahead with special features back in the 30's and 40's as they do today... I think the majority of what we'd get is today's filmmakers talking about their opinions and inspirations from the Three Stooges films... no thanks.

Offline archiezappa

Whaaaa? lol

I'm thinkin' they weren't really looking as far ahead with special features back in the 30's and 40's as they do today... I think the majority of what we'd get is today's filmmakers talking about their opinions and inspirations from the Three Stooges films... no thanks.

Yeah, there's something similar to that on The Marx Brothers Collection.  Leonard Maltin gives a commentary on "A Night At The Opera."  Well, that one's not too bad.  But there's some British guy who apparently authored a book on the Marx Brothers that gives a commentary on "A Day At The Races."  That guy was boring!  He just went on and on about the Tootsie-Fruitsie joke from the beginning of the movie until Groucho told the joke.  Then, he just laughed.  Then, when it got to the musical part, he said that he wasn't going to watch it and was silent for about 5 minutes.  Totally not worth it.

Offline stooge1029

But there's some British guy who apparently authored a book on the Marx Brothers that gives a commentary on "A Day At The Races."  That guy was boring!  He just went on and on about the Tootsie-Fruitsie joke from the beginning of the movie until Groucho told the joke.  Then, he just laughed.  Then, when it got to the musical part, he said that he wasn't going to watch it and was silent for about 5 minutes.  Totally not worth it.

Wow thats hilarious, the guy they picked to do commentary wouldnt watch the musical part. Doing any type of commentary or documentary as a special feature for the stooges would be all kinds of awful.

xraffle

I was just kidding about the commentary part. The reason I said that was because someone brought that up months ago about having a Shemp Howard commentary and Metaldams replied saying that would scare the shit out of him. I laughed like crazy when I read that because he's got a point, LOL. I can't find the post right now, but if/when I do, I'll edit this post and add the link in.

Personally, I usually hate commentaries because you can't listen to the movie and all that person does it waste time rambling on about nonsense.

EDIT- Found the post. Here it is.
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2673.msg19750#msg19750

Offline luke795

They could put interviews from the Three Stooges' family on the dvds.  Maybe Moe Howard's grand children or someone elses.

Offline dimelives

Meh... What are they gonna say that most of us who'd be interested in special features don't already know, or haven't seen on other documentaries already?... The more I think about it, the more I prefer shorts only.

BUT HEY, that's just me.

Offline archiezappa

I was just kidding about the commentary part. The reason I said that was because someone brought that up months ago about having a Shemp Howard commentary and Metaldams replied saying that would scare the shit out of him. I laughed like crazy when I read that because he's got a point, LOL. I can't find the post right now, but if/when I do, I'll edit this post and add the link in.

Personally, I usually hate commentaries because you can't listen to the movie and all that person does it waste time rambling on about nonsense.

EDIT- Found the post. Here it is.
http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2673.msg19750#msg19750

Oh yeah.  I was the one that said we could have Shemp Howard do the commentaries.  However, wouldn't it be weird if someone just happened to record Larry commenting on one of the Stooge films he used to show when he was in the Motion Picture Country Home?  Now that would be interesting.

But to have Shemp doing a commentary on an episode would really be weird.

Since we're talking about bonus features, has anyone found any easter eggs on the Stooges DVD's?  I haven't seen any, but you never know.

Offline dimelives

I think many of you fellas are just too hopeful of the idea that they had cameras and mics running off of screen time, and that they saved any of this footage. That's 90's/2000's mentality. This was the 30's through 50's... I'm not saying archive, behind-the-scenes footage is IMPOSSIBLE, just highly improbable. I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking ahead to DVD bonus feature material potential... And you have to remember, at the time, the studios hardly let the Stooges do barely more than hang in there making films, so you really think they'd care to record/save any extra material from the guys? I'd be truly amazed if there was more than 5-10 minutes of meaningless footage/audio from the guys during the golden years still in existence.

If they did put on special features, I'd be much more willing to bet it's, as said, current filmmakers giving their insights and opinions about the Stooges work (no thanks) or 70s documentary footage we've already seen of reflections of the times (meh).

I'd love for there to be Stooges "deleted scenes" and "how we do the sound effects" type featurettes and crap... but that just was NOT the way of the times... It was ROLL, CUT, PRINT, DONE. This is why I personally don't see any hope for the existence of genuinely worthwhile bonus materials for these sets.

Offline quote93

yes they SHOULD have had bonus features for each short

such as - Fact tract - states info about the short - locations what used on before and etc

and the movie posters for each short