Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Most Violent?

MR77100 · 46 · 11307

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I only saw Christine McIntyre get stabbed in the butt once (in Pardon My Scotch)

I believe you're thinking of SCOTCHED IN SCOTLAND (1954)? Christine was not in PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935).

Offline BeatleShemp

How about "A Snitch in Time?" Moe gets his nose caught on the power saw and get a chunk of hair roughed out by that sander.  Ouch.

Offline Ectahoozis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 3 Dark Horses end with the stooges sitting atops 2 guys in the bath tub?  They certainly weren't moving and there was definatley water in the tub so one would surmise that these two men were dead...what a terrible way to go.
ps...ever notice Moe's at his goofiest in the bathtub?

Offline locoboymakesgood

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 3 Dark Horses end with the stooges sitting atops 2 guys in the bath tub?  They certainly weren't moving and there was definatley water in the tub so one would surmise that these two men were dead...what a terrible way to go.
ps...ever notice Moe's at his goofiest in the bathtub?
Haha.. there's no way hey were dead. Just simply knocked out. What had they done in that short to kill them? ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Haha.. there's no way hey were dead. Just simply knocked out. What had they done in that short to kill them? ;D

I would think that sitting on top of them holding them under a bathtub full of water should do it.   ;)

Offline porcupinefan87

I agree that "Corny Casanovas" has a lot of violence...just in terms of how all three of them are really beating the hell out of each other.

Regarding that cheese grater to Curly's face comment, I agree. For me though, it's any time they take a saw to Curly's head. I don't know why, maybe it's because he's practically bald, but it just always makes me cringe. 

Also, at the end of that one episode where Larry adopts the kid...I forget the title. But Curly and Moe really give it to him haha.

At the same time though, I would never really regard the boys as "violent." They're...physical. ;)
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Dog Hambone

Also, at the end of that one episode where Larry adopts the kid...I forget the title. But Curly and Moe really give it to him haha.

The title of that one is Three Loan Wolves.

Offline Double Deal Decker

"They Stooge To Conga" gets my vote, just for the spike in the eye alone. I CRINGE everytime I see that !!! :o

Offline curlysdame

"They Stooge To Conga" gets my vote, just for the spike in the eye alone. I CRINGE everytime I see that !!! :o

So do I.  Moe's reaction made it look very real.  The sound effect they paired it with definitely added to the shock value.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Smaug

Three Little Pigskins should get some kind of mention, just for all the behind the scenes violence(Curly broke his arm, Larry lost a tooth and some stuntmen injuries, as a bonus). Not particularly violent onscreen, though.

Also- In The Sweet Pie And Pie Has violence from all 4 categories, plus some tool attacks (saw on head, etc). Can you think of any more with such well rounded distribution of violence?

Offline Smaug

Based on a query on the database (see the picture attached, below) it looks as though All Gummed Up ranks as the most violent overall, with an "average mayhem" of 20.5 based on 76 (!) slaps recorded along with 6 objects thrown.  (Team Stooge members should feel free to correct or update the entries.)

Hmmm you need to rewatch that one. There are 6 or 7 slaps, and quite a few head bonks (knocking that idea out of Shemps head) but I don't think they add up to 76! I was on the lookout for blood at that rate.

Offline archiezappa

I always thought "A Snitch In Time" was fairly violent.  Mostly the stuff with them in the furniture shop.

Offline stooge1029

Hey I cant create any new discussions but I think we should start one where we rank our top ten stooge shorts. Has this already been done? Ive never considered my favorites but it would be interesting to see and should spark some good conversation. Just a suggestion.

Dog Hambone

Hey I cant create any new discussions but I think we should start one where we rank our top ten stooge shorts. Has this already been done? Ive never considered my favorites but it would be interesting to see and should spark some good conversation. Just a suggestion.

I like that idea. That would be sure to spark some debate, too. I have at times in this forum mentioned shorts that I really liked or that I really didn't care for, & someone has also answered & disagreed, sometimes strongly.

The only problem with my top ten list would be that week in & week out, I would probably feel like revising my list (there are so many good ones from which to choose).     

Offline archiezappa

The only problem with my top ten list would be that week in & week out, I would probably feel like revising my list (there are so many good ones from which to choose).     

That's my problem.  I could post a top ten list of my favorites, but next week I'd probably revise that list.  Also, it seems that I revise that list every time a new DVD set comes out.  I'm also the same way about my record collection.  I could list my top ten favorites, but next week that could change.  I guess it depends on my mood.

Offline Smaug

I agree, and there are still some good ones that have not been released yet. Maybe not so much with the Besser shorts. And when a new set comes out, there are shorts that I completely forgot about.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I would have to agree that They Stooge to Conga is the most violent Stooge film, and that's why TV stations don't air it. The climbing spike moment could make anyone cringe.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I saw They Stooge To Conga one time on WOR it think it was back in 93 or so.  As I was trying to complete the stooge shorts, I was glad they played it.  WOR seemed not to cut as much as TBS was infamous for. (Remember the 10 minute shorts like The Ghost Talks from 4:50AM to 5AM.)
just to fill in space til the next Gilligans Island or whatever was coming up. Remember the 6:05/ 7:05 etc. starting times from TBS?. 

The final short that took the longest to find for me was "Up In Daisy's Penthouse" which was on TBS but cut up as usual. Still nice to complete (at the time) all the shorts.  To think i completed the Bessers before the Shemps was strange.

Robin

Offline middlenamewayne

The climbing spike moment could make anyone cringe.

The only Stooges shot* that makes me wince is the one where Curly(?) gets a rag stuffed in his mouth and then has his teeth hammered in(!)

- mnw

*(no, this is not a typo for "short", tho I can't recall for sh!t which short the shot is in. Shoot!)

Dog Hambone

The only Stooges shot* that makes me wince is the one where Curly(?) gets a rag stuffed in his mouth and then has his teeth hammered in(!)

That scene makes me cringe, too. It's a wonder they didn't show him spitting out teeth after that. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that was Shemp. Was that scene in "A Missed Fortune"? I'll have to watch that one later (watching baseball playoffs right now) & report back. 

Offline middlenamewayne

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that was Shemp.

Originally, my memory tried to convince me it was Moe, but I couldn't imagine what could've led up to that moment or who woulda had the huevos to do the pounding!

- mnw

(I expected to immediately be overcome by Stooge-o-philes chastising me for my iggerance already -- either this group is smaller, less obsessive, or lazier than I thunk!)