Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Most Violent?

MR77100 · 46 · 11317

Offline MR77100

What do you consider the most violent Stooges short? My vote would go to HOI POLLI.

Offline metaldams

THEY STOOGE TO CONGA.  No contest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Hoi Polloi? No way.

They Stooges to Conga by FAR. The spike scene still makes me cringe.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

Crime on Their Hands.

Really! A guy getting gunned down in a phone booth is way more violent than any silly ol' spike in the ear or light bulb crushed in some dude's mouth! And, it's not like he got up and suddenly needed a drink of water and turned into a garden sprinkler..

I think it's the only short to feature blood as the result of violence, as well. We see lost teeth and hair pulled out, but never blood! Only ketchup! Or paint.. or ink..

Offline locoboymakesgood

There's blood in Crime On Their Hands? I know that short always stood out to me for the guy being actually shot (that seemed a bit morbid, to me).. but the rest of it?

I still think They Stooge to Conga takes the cake.

ThumpTheShoes

There's blood in Crime On Their Hands? I know that short always stood out to me for the guy being actually shot (that seemed a bit morbid, to me).. but the rest of it?

I still think They Stooge to Conga takes the cake.

Dapper smacks that little guy at the beginning and, when the dude gets back up, there's blood coming out of his mouth. It is weird becuase the violence in Stooge world is usually fairly lacking in consequence. The Boys could fall off a 180 story building, pick themselves up and dust off and be on their way.

Gritty, that's what it is! Noir.. like the gangster films of the time.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wow! I'm gonna have to watch it again. I always thought the guy getting shot was weird, but I never noticed the blood.

stooged and confused

For me, it's either "They Stooge To Conga", "A Snitch in Time", or "Goof On The Roof".

Offline locoboymakesgood

Goof on the Roof is one of those lesser seen ones that I'd have to agree with. You can feel Shemp falling through the roof.

stooged and confused

"Conga" has been given the distinction of having the most violent gag (the spike/pole climbing scene) and "Hoi Poloi" may have the most slaps, but "Snitch" has more violence/slaps/insults in 17 minutes than any other short I can think of. "Goof" would be a close 2nd with all of the destruction.

Offline MR77100

HOI POLLI has the most slaps, and that is why I chose that one. Both THEY STOOGE TO CONGA and GOOF ON THE ROOF deal with the boys tearing a house apart. The climbing spike sequence in the former is brutal. CRIME ON THEIR HANDS does in fact, have blood in the beginning as well as the henchman being gunned down. I have not seen  SNITCH IN TIME in years, but I do remember a ton of abuse in the wood shop in that one. What about CUCKOO ON A CHOO-CHOO? There is plenty of violence in that one, including the chain-reaction punch twice!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Cuckoo on a Choo Choo is just.. most bizarre. That's for sure. Still one of my favorite shorts.

Dog Hambone

I'll go along with Goof On The Roof; Shemp really gets it good in that one. Also, I gotta agree on They Stooge To Conga, too.

Offline busybuddy

My vote? Corny Casanovas.

They use a gun to shoot tacks in Moe's butt, Shemp uses a gun to hammer in a nail resulting in Moe getting shot in the scalp, Shemp hammers a nail into Moe's knuckles, Moe swallows a handful of tacks and they are removed by a magnet, and they spend the last 4 minutes beating the hell out of each other with various objects from the fireplace until Moe and Larry are uncounscious.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Justin T

My vote? Corny Casanovas.

They use a gun to shoot tacks in Moe's butt, Shemp uses a gun to hammer in a nail resulting in Moe getting shot in the scalp, Shemp hammers a nail into Moe's knuckles, Moe swallows a handful of tacks and they are removed by a magnet, and they spend the last 4 minutes beating the hell out of each other with various objects from the fireplace until Moe and Larry are uncounscious.

YEOW, good argument there Busybuddy for that short. I haven't see that one in awhile, forgot how violent it is!

Many of the arguments are good ones for They Stooges to Conga and A Snitch in Time. Snitch has some nasty stuff in there.
Of course Stooges fans still cringe at the climbing spike scene in Conga. I know I do.

Thump had a good point about the violence in Crime on Their Hands. You have Dapper's henchmen getting a bloody lip, then he's shot and killed
while on the phone with Moe. That's some pretty heavy stuff for a Stooge short, but I think it fits with the film noirish plot of the short.

Which short has more Slaps, Hoi Polloi or Cuckoo on a Choo Choo? The back and forth slapfest in Choo Choo with Moe and Shemp has to be a record.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline busybuddy

Which short has more Slaps, Hoi Polloi or Cuckoo on a Choo Choo? The back and forth slapfest in Choo Choo with Moe and Shemp has to be a record.

I'm not at home right now, but when I am, I'm going to check Michael Flemings' Stooge book. It has a slap count for every short. If anyone has it right now, check it out and see.

If I'm not mistaken, All Gummed Up may have the most hits in it of all shorts, based on the scene where Moe and Larry are beating the idea for a fountain of youth out of Shemp's head. I think one of the most violent things that Moe ever did was in No Census, No Feeling when he takes a cheese-grater to Curly's face. It's not a real violent short but that scene always makes me cringe. Also, anything the Stooges did involving a razor makes me break out into a sweat. [yikes]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'm not at home right now, but when I am, I'm going to check Michael Flemings' Stooge book. It has a slap count for every short. If anyone has it right now, check it out and see.

So do the episode pages on this site, under "Mayhem".

Offline busybuddy

So do the episode pages on this site, under "Mayhem".

Thanks. Hoi Polloi has 48 slaps, Cuckoo on A Choo Choo has a surprisingly low 25.

Offline Justin T

Thanks. Hoi Polloi has 48 slaps, Cuckoo on A Choo Choo has a surprisingly low 25.

48?! Holy Crap, I need to go watch Hoi Polloi again I think. It's got almost twice the slaps Choo Choo
does. Thanks busybuddy, and thanks for the reminder of the mayhem section on the episode pages Dunrobin.
I haven't looked at those in awhile.

Oh, and about Moe using the cheese grater on Curly's face in No Census, No Feeling? That also makes me
cringe a bit too. Every time I've ever had to grade cheese for dinner at my mother's, I think of that short.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline locoboymakesgood

The cutting off the end of Moe's shoe in Fuelin' Around makes me cringe everytime I see it. Another gag you can feel. Same with the staples in Moe's hand in Hot Stuff. Seeing him pull staples out with his teeth makes my stomach turn.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Based on a query on the database (see the picture attached, below) it looks as though All Gummed Up ranks as the most violent overall, with an "average mayhem" of 20.5 based on 76 (!) slaps recorded along with 6 objects thrown.  (The field is named "pies", but I've used it to record other items like cream puffs, clay, etc.  I just never bothered to rename the field.)

The attached picture shows the top 10 most violent shorts, ranked by "average mayhem."  I'm going to throw together another page under Stooge Info listed the mayhem recorded for each episode.  (Team Stooge members should feel free to correct or update the entries.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline metaldams

Yeah, but to me, most slaps doesn't equal most violent.  1 spike in the eye + 1 spike in the ear + 1 blowtorch to the ass + 1 electrocution + 1 radio smashed over skull > 76 slaps.  It's the quality of mayhem that counts, not quantity.

I'm glad we can have these deep philosophical discussions.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Yeah, but to me, most slaps doesn't equal most violent.  1 spike in the eye + 1 spike in the ear + 1 blowtorch to the ass + 1 electrocution + 1 radio smashed over skull > 76 slaps.  It's the quality of mayhem that counts, not quantity.

I'm glad we can have these deep philosophical discussions.   ;D

You're right.  I should have said that All Gummed Up has the most overall mayhem of the shorts, which isn't the same as having the most violence.

The Stooge Mayhem page is now up, by the way.  How's that for quick woik?  (I might have had it done a little sooner, but I was watching Smallville.)   [pie]

Offline cricket_22001

If Corny Casanovas rates as one of the most violent, surely Rusty Romeos gets a mention as the final scene has the gold digger getting tacks shot in her butt.
Which makes me wonder, does anyone else believe that some of the other nasty women got off lightly when getting stooge treatment? Gangsters & other bad guys were quick to get shot or fire to their butts however I only saw Christine McIntyre get stabbed in the butt once (in Pardon My Scotch) & Connie Cezan shot in Rusty Romeos. Lelah Taylor sat on a cigar in All the World's a Stooge but I feel the women got off lightly.
Interestingly, Jules White did 16 shorts with radio star Vera Vague(Barbara Jo Allen) with stooge type humor & she received & delivered the violent stuff.