Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ebay 1940's Three Stooges Prop

Offline locoboymakesgood

What shorts had this mirror in it? We'd have to do a comparison.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

Well, he does say he used to have a COA for it..  ::)
Lovely little mirror, that. Likely, not a genuine prop. I can't think of a short where the Stooges used a mirror like that.

What he doesn't mention is whether or not it was "gently used", as every other item is, now, on E-Pay. Records, cds, dvds, books.. Instead of "mint" and "viewed/played only twice", everything is gently used.

Offline metaldams

BRIDELESS GROOM, maybe?  Assuming it's authentic.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

BRIDELESS GROOM, maybe?  Assuming it's authentic.

That was a rectangular mirror hung from the ceiling. I was thinking Cactus Makes Perfect, but you don't even see the mirror there. That scissor-arm thing looks like fuel for a Stooge-like joke.. Or, maybe Wile E. Coyote!

I asked the seller if he (or she?!) knows. If I get a response, I'll let you know.

ThumpTheShoes

The official reply is, he says he remembers seeing the mirror in some of the shorts. Still, doesn't seem likely to me.

Offline busybuddy

I've saw this guy on there before. Once he said he knew the prop man at Columbia and that's how he got all that stuff. In the past, he's had "Curly's derby" and a bowling pin.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline curlysdame

I've saw this guy on there before. Once he said he knew the prop man at Columbia and that's how he got all that stuff. In the past, he's had "Curly's derby" and a bowling pin.

I don't believe any of those 'Stooges props' auctions I see on ebay.  I do remember seeing "Curly's derby" up for sale that time, and I thought, "Yeeah, sure."  My philosophy is:  if it's too good to be true, it usually isn't.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I don't believe any of those 'Stooges props' auctions I see on ebay.  I do remember seeing "Curly's derby" up for sale that time, and I thought, "Yeeah, sure."  My philosophy is:  if it's too good to be true, it usually isn't.
Not only that, but anyone can slap together a passable COA.

I got a COA for an original one-sheet poster for Ghostbusters, signed by Bill Murray. I had someone who deals with Hollywood memorabilia evaluate the poster, and it turns out it's a forgery. Of course most signatures are, but given this claimed to have an original COA I jumped on it. Don't believe everything you read.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Sadistic Stooge

My guess would be it was used in Columbia shorts, but I don't think it was the stooge shorts  .

Offline autographguy

• I never met a signature I didn't like
  • Porcupine
The problem with props like that real or otherwise, you could find a mirror just like that at an antique place and say it was from there. It looks like it was just a background piece either way
always looking for autographs from stooge cast members...