Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sappy Bullfighters - Was It Truely the Last!?!

Offline Hammond Eggar

In 1959, Columbia released Sappy Bullfighters, the final Three Stooges short.  At that time, Columbia was the only studio with an active shorts department.  Here's my question.  Provided that's true, does that make Sappy Bullfighters the last short of its kind ever produced in Hollywood, or was Columbia still churning out short titles by other teams and/or performers?  What was going on with Columbia's short department during the Besser-era of the Stooges' history.  Were other two-reel films being produced, or was it strictly Stooges by the late-1950s?  I'm curious.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS was the last released, but FLYING SAUCER DAFFY was actually the last filmed. 

Thats said, yeah, The Three Stooges were officially the last one's standing at Columbia.  I think the long running Andy Clyde series ended around '55 or '56, and Muriel Landers of SWEET AND HOT had a short or two in '57, but yeah, The Three Stooges really were the last.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks Metaldams.  I had a feeling someone here would know. ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
In 1959, Columbia released Sappy Bullfighters, the final Three Stooges short.  At that time, Columbia was the only studio with an active shorts department.  Here's my question.  Provided that's true, does that make Sappy Bullfighters the last short of its kind ever produced in Hollywood, or was Columbia still churning out short titles by other teams and/or performers?  What was going on with Columbia's short department during the Besser-era of the Stooges' history.  Were other two-reel films being produced, or was it strictly Stooges by the late-1950s?  I'm curious.

The Columbia Comedy Shorts, by Ed Watz and Ted Okuda

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I just looked at that entry in the Bibliography (and man, do I need to catch up on my Stooges library!) and realized that the "official" canon of 190 Stooges shorts represented just over 36% of all of the shorts ever produced by Columbia.   :o

A question for our Stooge scholars:  Did any other comedy team appear in more shorts than the Stooges?   ???

Offline metaldams

I just looked at that entry in the Bibliography (and man, do I need to catch up on my Stooges library!) and realized that the "official" canon of 190 Stooges shorts represented just over 36% of all of the shorts ever produced by Columbia.   :o

A question for our Stooge scholars:  Did any other comedy team appear in more shorts than the Stooges?   ???

A comedy team, two reelers, and talkie era, probably not.

It's possible a comedian may have made more than 190 shorts in the silent era.  Harold Lloyd didn't quite make 190, but made close.  Back in the teens, some comedians made one reelers that were put in the theaters EVERY WEEK!  Some comedians did this for years.  Here's Harold's filmography.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0516001
- Doug Sarnecky

SAPPY was the last short of its kind ever released? Wow, talk about going out with a whimper.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline MR77100

The Stooges were the longest-lasting comedy act, and made more shorts of their kind than anyone else. It seems that time was running out with them with the "shorts" industry dying out, but when their old two-reelers were released on television.....

Offline kinderscenen

Man, it would've been pretty good if Flying Saucer Daffy or Quiz Whizz were the last ones released--okay, even if you don't like ANY of the Besser era shorts, that one?  It was kinda crazy--I just loved Joe's comment after Moe and Larry get champagne on their faces, then after laughing at them, Moe throws the bottle at Joe's head.  (And dammit, I can't remember what Joe said! For some reason, all I'm coming up with is, "That was good! That was good! That's...bad!" but that was from A Merry Mix Up, so....)

Quiz Whizz would've been a good one to go out on as well--again, a strong performance by Besser, and he seems to (sort of) fit in with Moe and Larry--sort of, but not enough that they couldn't throw him to the cigar-eating wolves!

Ironically, as we all know, Flying Saucer Daffy was the last short filmed--too bad it couldn't have been the last released.  It would've been better to have a send-off that wasn't a re-make of a superior Curly-era short. (There was no way that Besser could've had the energy or stamina Curly had riding the "bull.")

Wow...after reading Metaldams' post....I forgot about how crazy the filming schedules were back in the day--the early days of TV, 40 episodes (or more) a season, further back than that, a short every week?! Oh, my damn!  I thought the Stooges' filming schedule (when they got to the 1 day/filming 2 shorts simultaneously) was rushed--but these? These weren't remakes (if I'm not mistaken.)
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline MR77100

(And dammit, I can't remember what Joe said! For some reason, all I'm coming up with is, "That was good! That was good! That's...bad!" but that was from A Merry Mix Up, so....

The quote you are thinking of from FLYING SAUCER DAFFY went like this:
Joe:"Oh,ho ho! That's good for you, that's good for you!"
[Crash]
"That's bad for me! Wow!"