Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

News on future volumes

Offline falsealarms

From a "Paul Mular" on the fan club's Yahoo group...

"I should add that the proposed THREE STOOGES DVD sets from Sony are:

Vol. 5 1946, 1947, 1948
Vol. 6 1949, 1950, 1951
Vol. 7 1952, 1953, 1954
Vol. 8 1955, 1956, solo Shemp Shorts
Vol. 9 1957, 1958, 1959, solo Joe Besser Shorts

The years are release years, not production years.

This proposal was given to me last October by Sony. They want to put the Shemp solo shorts on the same set with his re-issue shorts to give
a reason to buy it. Lets face it, there are only two new Three Stooges shorts in Volume 8. I had suggested putting the Shemp solo shorts in their proper chronological order, in set #5. We shall see if they follow the original plan."

Are they going to re-release the movies?

Mular: "We never talked about re-releasing the existing movies, but I did bring up the Curly feature ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES and they are planning to release that one."

Have you heard about any extras in the future DVD's?

Mular: "They are thinking about extras on the last two sets as further incentive to purchase them. Details were not given."

xraffle

Solo Shemp and Joe shorts? That's interesting. I didn't know Sony planned on releasing those. Thanks for posting this info.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Rockin' in the Rockies, as cheesy as it is, is still decent enough. I'd love for them to include it. I'd love the solo Shemp and Bessers. I wouldn't have minded the Solo DeRitas with some of the movies re-released.

I would think they'd want all of the Stooges offerings to match up, so not re-releasing the films seems a little silly (although the shorts are of course more important).

Interesting news. Thanks.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline luke795

What are the names of the Shemp solo shorts and Joe Besser solo shorts?
Are they going to release the first Three Stooges feature Have Rocket Will Travel?

xraffle

What are the names of the Shemp solo shorts and Joe Besser solo shorts?

Shemp solos: http://threestooges.net/filmography.php?team=SSH
Besser solos: http://threestooges.net/filmography.php?team=SJB

This is the best I can do spare of the moment. Those links include both shorts and feature films. When I have some time over the weekend and if no one else beats me to it, I can make a list of the solo shorts for you and post them here.

xraffle

Here's the list. I'm assuming Sony is only going to release the Columbia shorts, so that's what I'll list right now:

Shemp Columbia shorts:

1. Not Guilty Enough (1938)
2. Home on the Rage (1938)
3. The Glove Slingers (1939)
4. Money Squawks (1940)
5. Boobs In The Woods (1940)
6. Pleased To Mitt You (1940)
7. Pick A Peck of Plumbers (1944)
8. Open Season For Saps (1944)
9. Off Again, On Again (1945)
10. Where The Pests Begin (1945)
11. A Hit With A Miss (1945)
12. Mr. Noisy (1946)
13. Jiggers, My Wife (1946)
14. Society Mugs (1946)
15. Bride and Groom (1947)

Besser Columbia shorts:

1. Cuckoorancho (1938)
2. Waiting In The Lurch (1949)
3. Dizzy Yardbirds (1950)
4. Fraidy Cat (1951)
5. Aim, Fire, Scoot (1952)
6. Caught on the Bounce (1951)
7. Spies and Guys (1953)
8. The Fire Chaser (1954)
9. G.I. Dood It (1955)
10. Hook a Crook (1955)
11. Army Daze (1956)

I got all this information from "The Three Stooges Scrapbook" and usually the book is accurate, but I can't say for sure how accurate this list is. So, if any experts here, like Brent or Rich, think my list has any errors in it, please feel free to correct me.

Offline Stooges#1

Were Moe, Larry or Curly involved in any solo shorts?

If yes, I think they should be on their final volume i.e. Curly solo's on volume 5 and Moe/Larry solo's on volume 9.

xraffle

Were Moe, Larry or Curly involved in any solo shorts?

If yes, I think they should be on their final volume i.e. Curly solo's on volume 5 and Moe/Larry solo's on volume 9.

Only Moe and Curly were in solo shorts, but they were not Columbia ones.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Only Moe and Curly were in solo shorts, but they were not Columbia ones.

Technically correct, since he never starred in a short subject, but Larry did have a single solo appearance in Stage Mother, which co-starred Ted Healy (they don't appear together.)  Larry had a bit part as a customer in a music store scene; if you blink too long you'll miss it.

Edited:  I was talking to my brother and writing and the same time, and after I posted I re-read it and realized I managed to say the opposite of what I meant to say.

Offline Rich Finegan

On this listing of solo Shemp Columbia shorts,
Add "Not Guilty Enough" (1938).
Delete "Farmer For a Day" (1943).

Several of these shorts are parts of other series, such as Andy Clyde and The Glove Slingers. It would be great if Columbia would release them all, but I'd tend to think they would most likely consider only the nine released from 1944 to 1947. Those are the shorts that are Shemp's real solo series.
But I hope I'm wrong about that. I hope they release them all! Two of the Andy Clyde shorts in which Shemp co-starred, "Not Guilty Enough" and "Home on the Rage" have proven very difficult to find copies of.

---- Rich Finegan

xraffle

On this listing of solo Shemp Columbia shorts,
Add "Not Guilty Enough" (1938).
Delete "Farmer For a Day" (1943).

Several of these shorts are parts of other series, such as Andy Clyde and The Glove Slingers. It would be great if Columbia would release them all, but I'd tend to think they would most likely consider only the nine released from 1944 to 1947. Those are the shorts that are Shemp's real solo series.
But I hope I'm wrong about that. I hope they release them all! Two of the Andy Clyde shorts in which Shemp co-starred, "Not Guilty Enough" and "Home on the Rage" have proven very difficult to find copies of.

---- Rich Finegan

Done. Thanks Rich. I wonder why the Scrapbook has "Farmer For a Day" as a Shemp solo. I also noticed it's not listed on the filmography on this site.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:08:42 PM by Rich Finegan »

Offline Rich Finegan

I'm not sure why the Andy Clyde short "Farmer For a Day" (1943) was ever thought to have been a Shemp credit. He is not in it. But we still see it listed sometimes as a Shemp solo short. Way back when the Scrapbook filmography was being compiled they must have had some reason to think it was a Shemp appearance but a few years later when a print was found to view, we discovered Shemp is not in it. But the original mistake lives on and still gets carried over to new listings.

Offline metaldams

If it's true these Shemp and Besser solo shorts will be included, then it will be the later volumes I'm looking forward to the most.  I've seen/have some of these shorts, but not most of them.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

If it's true these Shemp and Besser solo shorts will be included, then it will be the later volumes I'm looking forward to the most.  I've seen/have some of these shorts, but not most of them.

I think including the Besser solos is a good idea as they'll probably boost sales on the last volume.

Offline busybuddy

I think including the Besser solos is a good idea as they'll probably boost sales on the last volume.

This may also be a good opportunity to see Joe's true comedic talents in a non-Stooges or non-supporting role. It may change some people's minds as to whether or not he was a truly gifted comedian.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah, that will be interesting. I've seen some Shemp solo shorts, and a solo DeRita (I think on YouTube), but not a solo Besser.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

I've only seen a couple of Joe solos. One (don't remember the title) didn't do much for me (although it anticipated elements of QUIZ WHIZZ), but "Spies and Guys," made it easy for me to see why Joe may have been considered as potential Stooge material before he joined.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I, too, am looking forward to the later Shemp and Besser DVD sets.  I hope Sony also considers releasing the DeRita solo shorts, as well.  Have Rocket, Will Travel has yet to be released on DVD.  Those four DeRita titles would make for great bonus features.  Keep it in mind, Sony!
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Larry Larry

Would love to see the Joe and Shemp shorts.   Even if they were released on their own collection, I'd still buy it.

I've never understood the head-scratching over Joe Besser.  He had talent and had some funny bits in the Stooges series. 

Granted, the shorts during his tenure weren't up to the classics, but Joe Besser at least tried and exhibited a personality.   Joe DeRita, however, is just like a lump and doesn't really bring any character or personality to the series.  I can't wait to see the 16 Besser shorts restored.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'm with you, Larry Larry.  Keep in mind, Moe and Larry were much older by the time Joe Besser joined the act.  That was part of the problem during the DeRita years, as well.  It contributed to the toning-down of the violence in the features.  While I like Joe DeRita, and appreciate his work with the Stooges, I have to agree with the overall assesment here.  DeRita didn't have a distinct personality, as Besser did.  We can debate whether Besser's 'sissy' persona was a good match for the more physical comedy of the Stooges.  That said, like-it-or-not, at least Besser had a distinctive personality and brought something original to the third-Stooge role.  I'm looking forward to rewatching the Besser shorts when they finally get released on DVD.  There are still those rare titles, such as A Merry Mix-Up, which I haven't seen yet.  I'm looking forward to gaining a better perspective on the Besser era of the boys career.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

There are still those rare titles, such as A Merry Mix-Up, which I haven't seen yet.

You'll like it Hammond, it's one of the better Bessers.  The only problem, rare for a Stooge short, is that there is so much of a plot that it would've worked better as a feature film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Good thoughts in the above posts, guys.

Regarding Curly Joe: I'd say he did have a distinct personality, as well as a funny face and voice. But I often get the impression that the reason he comes off as relatively bland is that he just wasn't trying very hard.

You'll like it Hammond, it's one of the better Bessers.  The only problem, rare for a Stooge short, is that there is so much of a plot that it would've worked better as a feature film.
To me "Merry" stands out not only as one of the better shorts from that era, but as Joe's best Stooge performance, and the one where he most seems like a natural part of the team. I guess that's 'cause (1) it gave him stuff to do that actually worked for him; and (2) it emphasized the "three-ness" of the team in a way that shorts of that era often didn't.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline vomit

Could be the greatest celebation of Shemp's birthday EVER!!  I can hardly wait.  Shemp rules!
Specto Caelum!

Offline OldFred

Good thoughts in the above posts, guys.

Regarding Curly Joe: I'd say he did have a distinct personality, as well as a funny face and voice. But I often get the impression that the reason he comes off as relatively bland is that he just wasn't trying very hard.
To me "Merry" stands out not only as one of the better shorts from that era, but as Joe's best Stooge performance, and the one where he most seems like a natural part of the team. I guess that's 'cause (1) it gave him stuff to do that actually worked for him; and (2) it emphasized the "three-ness" of the team in a way that shorts of that era often didn't.

I found 'A Merry Mix-up' on YouTube and posted the links in the Videos section of the the board. Here's a direct link to the post:

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=2924.msg20859#msg20859