Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sean Penn and Johnny Depp in New Stooges Movie?

busybuddy · 51 · 10687

Offline curlysdame

Why?  WHY????    [cry] [cry] [cry]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

stooged and confused

Offline Airdale

I'm kind of glad there's a stooge movie coming----I look forward to it--good or bad.
Not a Farrelly brothers fan---I think they could ruin it more easily than the 3 actors they've
cast.  But, it will be interesting to see what all involved do with it-----with their big money.

Just wish they would do a group of shorts and not one long film-----that format right there could get the movie in trouble-----we shall see (said the three blind mice).

Oh yeah, and I guess Shemp loses out again to Curly.....

rrrRRRUFFF  Airdale
rrrRRRUUFFF!!!

stooged and confused

AOL has picked up the story (basically the same version) that ran on yahoo. Lots of stars, lots of money = lots of exposure. The only good that could come of all of this is if it gets people interested in the ORIGINALS.

While I am completely opposed to this film and will probably not even give it a chance, I never realized how much Del Toro looks like Moe before now.

Offline Justin T

Um, wow...I'm really stunned they got 3 big name actors to play the Stooges.
I'm not a big fan of Sean Penn, but he can act and I kinda can see him pulling
off a Larry, esp if Billy West can teach him how to get the voice right.

I can see Carrey doing Curly, but still....this is going to be...weird.

Like others have said upthread, we can only hope it gives more exposure
to the real Stooges.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Hammond Eggar

Someone sent me a link to MSNBC, which is now reporting on the Three Stooges feature film.  They're, for the most part, saying what everyone else is.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29883161/
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
This ill-conceived project may very well be taking off. But...

The L.A. Times suggests an objective angle on the story.

Excerpt from the L. A. Times...
The immediate reaction in Hollywood was, well, a big yawn. MGM keeps making big splashy announcements about upcoming projects, but it's hard to find anyone in town who believes that the studio has the money to make a credible number of movies. Most insiders suspect that this was yet another carefully crafted announcement story aimed at persuading Wall Street that MGM could somehow put together a slate of films with real movie stars.

The betting is that MGM is using Variety to tout the viability of the project, in the hopes that a studio with real money -- like 20th Century Fox, which already handles MGM's home video and international theatrical business and has a long relationship with the Farrellys -- will step in to provide most of the financing. As hokey as it seems, in Hollywood perception is reality, so these announcement stories help create the illusion that MGM is making movies, which could in turn attract more stars and more potential projects.

An unrelated coincidence (?)... the story broke in Variety, in a news item written by Michael Fleming. Fleming work-for-hire authored "The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons" book for C3 back in 1999.

Offline metaldams

All I'm going to say is people in work were actually talking about The Three Stooges today because of this.

One guy claiming Curly left the act 'cause of drinking.  I said he had a stroke and went over the whole HALF-WITS HOLIDAY scenario. 

I felt like saying, "Don't argue with me, do you have any idea who you're speaking too?  I'm METALDAMS!  How many Master Debates have you won?"  Of course, I also value my job, sooooooo......
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Here's the thing.. with a movie like this, you're going to get ALL sorts of people come out of the woodwork claiming they're lifelong fans and know everything about the Stooges. You're going to hear 100 different things from 100 different people on their history and everything else inbetween.

I really despise this film already.

Also keep in mind folks, big A-list celebrities doesn't automatically mean 'good'.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

stooged and confused

"Celebrity" blogger, Perez Hilton just posted the story on his site..a bit late, but more exposure. I heard he has the most successful blog site on the internet. The free publicity they are getting for this movie (and don't think this wasn't strategically planned) is working, that's for sure. I'm feeling that the funniest thing that will come out of this is that photoshop picture that was posted here.

I'm wondering how they will deal with Carrey's height. Isn't he taller than Penn and Del Toro?

Offline WhyIOughta

While I am completely opposed to this film and will probably not even give it a chance, I never realized how much Del Toro looks like Moe before now.

Looking like him is one thing...If he doesn't SOUND like him, it's over.  PERIOD.

Offline busybuddy

All I'm going to say is people in work were actually talking about The Three Stooges today because of this.

One guy claiming Curly left the act 'cause of drinking.  I said he had a stroke and went over the whole HALF-WITS HOLIDAY scenario. 

I felt like saying, "Don't argue with me, do you have any idea who you're speaking too?  I'm METALDAMS!  How many Master Debates have you won?"  Of course, I also value my job, sooooooo......

This reminds me of a thing that happened with my dad last year. He worked at a school before he retired, and the computer guy there tried arguing that Moe, Shemp, and Curly were not brothers. My dad has been a Stooges fan for 51 years, and told the guy he would bet his whole paycheck that they were in fact brothers. Although the guy didn't take him up on the bet, he went home and googled it. The next day, he told my dad he was right. My dad pretty much called him a moron for looking it up online, seeing as how my dad is a Stooges-expert and knew the truth from the start.

I hate idiots who think they know everything! You don't argue with a Stooge fan! :D
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline busybuddy

#5 on Yahoo's top Searches today: Three Stooges
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline metaldams

I hate idiots who think they know everything! You don't argue with a Stooge fan! :D

Seriosuly man!  I felt like saying, "I'm fucking Metaldams you know nothing twit.  M-E-T-A-L-D-A-M-S.  Metal-fucking-dams.  I'm a Three Stooges institution, motherfucker!"

Sorry, I'm a little drunk right now.  Looking up imdb movie for friends I have over....back to reality. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

I'm a Three Stooges institution, motherfucker!"

Now that's signature worthy...
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline curlysdame

Here's the thing.. with a movie like this, you're going to get ALL sorts of people come out of the woodwork claiming they're lifelong fans and know everything about the Stooges. You're going to hear 100 different things from 100 different people on their history and everything else inbetween.

I really despise this film already.

Also keep in mind folks, big A-list celebrities doesn't automatically mean 'good'.

You took the woids right out of my mouth, locoboy.  I'm not looking forward to all the new 'life-long' fans.  I'm sure 'the movie' will be a real hot-button issue at the Meeting year.

Offline metaldams

Now that's signature worthy...

Y'know, I just might.   ;D

I was with old family friends and my parents last night, and I think that was the first time my Mom ever saw me drunk.  Seriously, I don't think I ever made her laugh so hard.  They wanted me to look up info on an Audrey Hepburn movie, which is why I was online for a few minutes.  What a great post I made, weird reading it sober. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this subject came up on the Howard Stern Show on Thursday I believe with long-time Stooges fan Howard taking a shit on it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this subject came up on the Howard Stern Show on Thursday I believe with long-time Stooges fan Howard taking a shit on it.

Wow!  I'd love to hear the audio on that.  If I find something, I'll definitely post it.

Offline kinderscenen

Well, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and claim that I know everything about the Stooges, simply because I'm coming right out and saying that I KNOW that this movie shouldn't be made.  Not that I won't go see it and proclaim ala Comic Book Guy "Worst movie ever!" (Like I did after seeing Star Trek V...Nimoy's direction in III and IV was sooo great, and then we get...Shatner, fart jokes, rocket boots, and bad green screen Kirk saving...)

I agree with those who say that if you're going to make a movie, go the Ed Wood route, but then again, I was bitching about that movie as well, even though it handled the subject matter way better than that asstastic movie what's-his-name (you know...that anti-Semetic guy) produced.  I mean, come on!  You have the perfect material!  It could start (again) with Moe as the central character, starting from his (short-lived) gofer days at Columbia, perhaps even going in depth about them a bit more--I'm not going to watch that craptastic tape (again!) that I managed to splice together of the above mentioned TV movie to see how they handled that to the end of his days--which have been woefully under referenced, even though it was roughly "only" 1975!

As for Johnny Depp--because he was in Ed Wood, I'd go see it for the curiousity factor, and save my bitching until AFTER the movie, unlike (Benecio) Del Toro (sp?), Penn, and Carrey, whom I'd bitch out from the back of the theatre while eating a big box of Milk Duds and sucking on a diet Coke (fortified with Bacardi).
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline ProfessorStooge

After reading about the new Stooges feature film, I feel I should offer my thoughts. I can not picture Johnny Depp or Sean Penn as one of the Stooges. Penn has not done a comedy in 2 decades and has established himself as a serious actor. I too have wondered who could play Larry, Moe and Curly.

I have listed three combinations of actors that I think could portray the boys. They might seem like bizarre suggestions.

Combination 1
Larry: David Paymer
Moe: Bill Murray
Curly: Jack Black

Combination 2
Larry: Adam Sandler
Moe: Mike Myers
Curly: Drew Carey

Combination 3
Larry: Steve Martin
Moe: Bill Murray
Curly: Dan Aykroyd

Offline archiezappa

Your combination 2 looks interesting.

However, it should be:

Larry: Adam Sandler
Moe: Mike Myers
Curly: Dana Carvey

I think that would work.  Or, if that doesn't pan out, get Mike Myers and Dana Carvey together for Wayne's World 3!!!

Offline kinderscenen

Huh. I've been complaining so much that I've never actually thought about actual, comedians in the roles.  Who would be better than a comedian? (Granted, they have to be good comedians, but still...)

Thinking about it a little more, why does it have to be a new STOOGES movie?  I seem to recall a series of short subjects that aired before/after various Disney cartoons in the late 80s/early 90s (?) called The Jerky Boys.  No, they weren't anywhere near Stooge-level in humor, but they were pretty good, considering it was Saturday morning and I was watching craptastic cartoons. 

Seeing that they're still (!!) bantering names about, I don't think this movie'll be made until man lands on the moon again, which is a shame, because even a bad movie about the Stooges will cause people to have more interest.  More interest, more DVD sales, and perhaps one day, the complete Stooge works will be released.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!