Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sean Penn and Johnny Depp in New Stooges Movie?

busybuddy · 51 · 10688

Offline WhyIOughta

Offline Hammond Eggar

There are so many things wrong wth this project, but near the top of my list is the casting.  Personally, I'd prefer some talented unknowns in the roles of our beloved Stooges.  I'm afraid these 'name' actors' credits and reputations will preceed them.  They won't be able to slip into the roles easily, no matter how talented and gifted the actor may be.  Audiences will be too aware that its Sean Penn playing Larry Fine.  That was the concern when the 9/11 drama United 93 was cast.  If you recall, no big names were used.  I think it would have been a distraction, just as it will for this Stooges feature.

Another problem is MGM's involvement.  True, the Stooges spent a couple of years working at MGM with Ted Healy.  That said, The classic shorts were produced at Columbia.  How can the film even begin to resemble a classic Stooges comedy when it won't even open with the Columbia torch lady?  That's a big part of thier films.  It's like watching a Star Wars film without the 20th Century Fox fanfare opening.  The two go hand-and-hand.  Will MGM be able to create any titles that resemble the classic shorts?  Who knows? 

Frankly, I wish this project would just be abandoned.  If the Stooges really need to be on the big screen, then why not just reissue some of their most popular two-reel titles.  Men in Black, Three Little Beers, Disorder in the Court, You Nazty Spy, A-Plumbing We Will Go, An Ache in Every Stake and Micro-Phonies would certainly make for some great fun and laughs at the cinema.  A couple of Shemp films wouldn't hurt either. (hint-hint) ;)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Capt Spalding

I also see it this way, when Mel Gibson made a Stooges movie a few years ago, I ended up learning a lot about then from that movie. As normal when 1 studio hears about a project being done they jump on the bandwagon and didn't 2 movies appear together in a short time span?

And because of that I had high hopes for the remakes of the Pink Panther movie with S. Martin.  But then something went horribly wrong.  Critic's panned the movie, I actually read where they switched Kline from playing Kato to his other role. So I didn't care to see the movie when it came out and when it showed up on TV, It about made me puke.  NOW to top it all off, this second movie's trailers looks like nothing more than an attempt to just make another fast buck.. Study those trailers closely folks.. they usually have the funniest scene's from the movie in them to attract your attention, and I saw nothing funny about it once again.

What can a halfwit do?  Just sit and wait and support it with your pocketbook, however, Deep has surprised me with his roles, so I can see him as Moe and the leader.... Penn might work as Larry, haven't read who will capture the other roles yet.

Offline Larry Larry

There are so many things wrong wth this project, but near the top of my list is the casting...

Another problem is MGM's involvement.  True, the Stooges spent a couple of years working at MGM with Ted Healy.  That said, The classic shorts were produced at Columbia.  How can the film even begin to resemble a classic Stooges comedy when it won't even open with the Columbia torch lady?  That's a big part of thier films.  It's like watching a Star Wars film without the 20th Century Fox fanfare opening.  The two go hand-and-hand.  Will MGM be able to create any titles that resemble the classic shorts?  Who knows? 

Frankly, I wish this project would just be abandoned. 

The lack of the Columbia torch lady will be the least of this film's travesties.

I couldn't agree with you more though, in wishing this would just be abandoned. 

The problem with these kind of films is that the character is not the attraction.    The "Three Stooges" weren't roles that were cast and filled.  Moe Howard, Curly Howard, Larry Fine and Shemp Howard created and were the Three Stooges.  It would be like 30 years from now some other studio dumbass trying to make a Seinfeld movie.  Why? 

You can remake characters (ie: Batman, Tarzan, James Bond, Pinocchio, Snow White), but you cannot remake people (Moe Howard, Jerry Seinfeld, Jackie Gleason, Peter Sellers, the Beatles, etc).   
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline curlysdame

The lack of the Columbia torch lady will be the least of this film's travesties.

I couldn't agree with you more though, in wishing this would just be abandoned. 

The problem with these kind of films is that the character is not the attraction.    The "Three Stooges" weren't roles that were cast and filled.  Moe Howard, Curly Howard, Larry Fine and Shemp Howard created and were the Three Stooges.  It would be like 30 years from now some other studio dumbass trying to make a Seinfeld movie.  Why? 

You can remake characters (ie: Batman, Tarzan, James Bond, Pinocchio, Snow White), but you cannot remake people (Moe Howard, Jerry Seinfeld, Jackie Gleason, Peter Sellers, the Beatles, etc).   

I agree with you 100%.  The more I hear about this film, the sicker it makes me.  Nothing on Sean Penn or Johnny Depp, but c'mon, they're leading men.

But, should the travesty be committed that is this film hitting theaters (knock on wood), I say we Stooges fans come together and NOT watch it.  Not even out of morbid curiousity.   :P
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline OldFred

I agree with you 100%.  The more I hear about this film, the sicker it makes me.  Nothing on Sean Penn or Johnny Depp, but c'mon, they're leading men.

But, should the travesty be committed that is this film hitting theaters (knock on wood), I say we Stooges fans come together and NOT watch it.  Not even out of morbid curiousity.   :P

The morbid, the merrier!  Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!  [3stooges]

Offline Double Deal Decker

I agree that they should just leave it alone. Only The Stooges can be/do The Stooges.  That's why they will last forever.

Offline curlysdame

The morbid, the merrier!  Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!  [3stooges]

Hahaha, I walked right into that one.   :P
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline busybuddy

I wish they would do an excellent biopic of the Stooges as good as Capote or Ed Wood, but of course that's not the Farelly's style. But the Stooge's story is very dramatic (The deaths of Ted Healy, Curly, and Shemp, the Columbia contract expiration, the resurgence) and it could be a very powerful yet funny film. I think the Stooges TV movie a few years back had some great possiblities, but it fell a little short. It wasn't terrible for a 2 hour TV movie, especially compared to the ones about Jackie Gleason and Martin and Lewis.

But the idea behind the TV movie was great. It was a good idea to make the story focus mainly on Moe since he was there from beginning to end. I think Johnny Depp and Sean Penn would be good in the Stooge's story. They could do a great story if they did the film from Moe's perspective and showed him from a young Stooge to an old man.

But of course, some things sound better on paper. My dad said that when he first heard the plotline for Stoogemania, it sounded like a pretty funny movie. But of course now, it's almost embarrassing to have it sitting next to the rest of the Stooge videos in his collection.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline OldFred

I wish they would do an excellent biopic of the Stooges as good as Capote or Ed Wood, but of course that's not the Farelly's style. But the Stooge's story is very dramatic (The deaths of Ted Healy, Curly, and Shemp, the Columbia contract expiration, the resurgence) and it could be a very powerful yet funny film. I think the Stooges TV movie a few years back had some great possiblities, but it fell a little short. It wasn't terrible for a 2 hour TV movie, especially compared to the ones about Jackie Gleason and Martin and Lewis.

But the idea behind the TV movie was great. It was a good idea to make the story focus mainly on Moe since he was there from beginning to end. I think Johnny Depp and Sean Penn would be good in the Stooge's story. They could do a great story if they did the film from Moe's perspective and showed him from a young Stooge to an old man.

But of course, some things sound better on paper. My dad said that when he first heard the plotline for Stoogemania, it sounded like a pretty funny movie. But of course now, it's almost embarrassing to have it sitting next to the rest of the Stooge videos in his collection.

I always felt the Stooges tele-movie should have been a mini-series spread out over two nights. The first two hours would have concentrated on the early years with Healy up to the Columbia years and the second half would have dealt with Curly's illness and the return of Shemp, their deaths, the Stooges revival up to 'Kooks Tour' and the deaths of Larry and Moe. There is so much of the Stooges' story to tell that it's a shame the TV-movie was only 2 hours long and condensed so much of it and didn't quite get everything right. I do think Michael Chiklis did a decent job portraying Curly.

Offline Myren

Nothing good can come of this. And I wonder if they would film it in Black and White like Young Frankenstein (filmed in glorious Black and White) and not color? Or try to do the Wizard of Oz thing with the Black and White at the beginning and end of the movie?

I can deal with Johnny Depp as Moe Howard (rumored), but - Spicoli as Larry Fine (rumored). No way. Anyway that is just my 2 cents.  :P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383010/

curlydude

Sean Penn actually did a funny film called " We're No Angels " with Robert De Niro. There are some nice little stooge-esque bits and mannerisms that both De Niro and Penn employ. When the film first comes on you don't expect it, but it is very funny and very entertaining. Demi Moore and John C. Riley are also in the film. Funny stuff and sort of indicates how Sean might do with some of the stooge material.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
They had friggin' better hurry up if they want to make that Nov. 2009 release date ...
(or, are they wanting a few days/weeks shooting schedule to make the film look like a REAL short-subject?)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

curlydude

They probably want a Summer release to maximize the young demographic.  [3stooges] After paying Depp his $20 mil for this, I'm sure they would love to see some profit !  ;D

Offline vomit

Yeah I have to agree.  This project is probably doomed.  As much as I love the Stooges, doing an update doesn't feel right.  Maybe I will be surprised, though.
Specto Caelum!

curlydude

Check out "We're No Angels" . It's possible to do Stoogesque stuff with experienced Oscar level actors, but we'll see what they do with the actual Stooge material. Does anyone know if they are re-shooting original scripts or will it be an "original" story line ?  [pie]

Offline locoboymakesgood

You may have heard the rumors but if you're like me, you didn't really think they would pan out. But somehow they have. Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro are set to star in THE THREE STOOGES for the Farrelly Brothers and they're bringing Jim Carrey with them. Del Toro will star as Moe, Penn will star as Larry and Carrey will gain 40 lbs to star as Curly. And I swear this is not an early April Fools gag.

As I mentioned, both Penn and Del Toro had been rumored as possibilities (as had Russell Crowe at one point) but Carrey's name never came up (at least anywhere that I heard). Penn had reportedly been studying with voiceman Billy West (who did an amazing Larry Fine back on the "Howard Stern Show") to get his voice down. As Variety notes, it would be Penn's first comedy since 1989 and a surprising one giving his recent Oscar win for MILK.

Now that the cast is set, the Farrelly brothers will fine tune the script and look to have production underway this fall for MGM. As previously mentioned, this project won't be a biopic but rather a comedy very much the way the Three Stooges would have made a comedy back in their day.
http://joblo.com/index.php?id=25701

I call bullshit on all of this.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline locoboymakesgood

It's made the front page of Yahoo!..

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-9-/

Offline Larry Larry

Offline metaldams

Jim Carrey as Curly?  Wow.  Interesting, at least.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline busybuddy

Yeah, I just saw this. I can't believe it's the top headline on yahoo!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Waiting and arguing for several years to get a movie in production ...

(Hhhhmmmm .... MAYBE this was a Farrelly Bros. ploy to get died-in-the-wool Stooge fans to watch the no-good movie in first run?)

Hint for TMD IV hopefuls
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline locoboymakesgood

This movie is going to make so much money. It has 3 A-list Hollywood stars attached to it. I smell a tentpole for the Summer 2010. God help us all.