Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Digital TV Conversion Delayed *Update 2/11- It's final, Obama signs bill*

Guest · 11 · 2124

xraffle

I know this thread is not Stooge-related, but I just thought I'd let all you knuckleheads know that the Senate agreed to move the Digital TV deadline from February 17th to June 12th. So, to all of you who still use rabbit ears to receive your TV broadcast, rest assured as your signal will not fade to black next month. You have an extra 4 months to get yourself a converter box, or a new TV.

Read all about it: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090127/tv_nm/us_dtv_congress

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:25:49 PM by xraffle »

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This effects me.....in no way whatsoever.

I don't think it will matter, you will still get people whining on June 12th. I do think this is rather unnecessary since they practically tattooed the transition into every viewer's head. The more I'm thinking about the more I think the delay is silly.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
...rest assured as your signal will not fade to black next month.

Personally, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing.   ;)

I just did a quick Google search and was surprised to realize that around 15% of U.S. households don't have either cable or satellite service.  (If I had guessed, I would have said it was only around 5%.)  Of course, that number probably includes people I've known who boast of never watching TV at all, and people like my brother who chooses not to bother with cable service because he (a) has got tons of movies and TV shows on DVD and VHS, and (b) can watch damned near anything he wants over the Internet.

xraffle

This effects me.....in no way whatsoever.

I don't think it will matter, you will still get people whining on June 12th. I do think this is rather unnecessary since they practically tattooed the transition into every viewer's head. The more I'm thinking about the more I think the delay is silly.

And guess who’s idea was this? Obama’s! I, personally, think it’s a bad idea because this delay is going to cause a lot of confusion but for those who are affected by the transition, this is a good thing. I have cable, so I’m not affected by this. Even if I didn’t, I just bought a new TV a few months ago, so I have the new ATSC tuner. So, I don’t need one of them converter box thingies. But what’s crazy is that they advertise like crazy that Feb. 17th will be the day your signal fades to black and less than a month away from the deadline, they make a last minute extension. No matter how much they extend this, there will always be people who are unprepared.

xraffle

The House rejects the bill: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/28/AR2009012801883.html?hpid=topnews

Less than a month away until the conversion deadline and we have all this chaos happening. This is ridiculous.

So, to all you rabbit ears people: don't rest assured. Keep checking the news to find out exactly when this conversion will actually happen.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Less than a month away until the conversion deadline and we have all this chaos happening. This is ridiculous.

You expected anything else from government?   [pie]

Offline locoboymakesgood

The reason this is such a joke is because half of the US is still stupid and just doesn't get it.

There have been countless - and I mean countless - ads on TV - even if you watched only the local news with your rabbit ears, you hear something about it every single day - that we're switching to digital. Even coupons for FREE transition boxes. Do people pay attention? Nope.

I mean if there's an uproar, it's because people are ignorant and don't pay attention. There's info everywhere on this stupid thing. It's happening, deal with the times.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

The reason this is such a joke is because half of the US is still stupid and just doesn't get it.

There have been countless - and I mean countless - ads on TV - even if you watched only the local news with your rabbit ears, you hear something about it every single day - that we're switching to digital. Even coupons for FREE transition boxes. Do people pay attention? Nope.

I mean if there's an uproar, it's because people are ignorant and don't pay attention. There's info everywhere on this stupid thing. It's happening, deal with the times.

Exactly, which is why moving the date to June 12th is pointless. If they don't get it now after all that advertising, then I doubt they'll get it by June.

xraffle

The House will vote again to see if there will be delay: http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090130/ap_on_hi_te/tec_digital_tv_transition

The House agrees to keep the Feb. 17 date and then they decide to vote again. [banghead]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
The House agrees to keep the Feb. 17 date and then they decide to vote again. [banghead]

Kind of makes you wonder why we bother to listen to them anymore, doesn't it?  God knows, they don't bother to listen to us anymore.   ::)

xraffle

Ok, the delay is now official. The president just needs to sign the bill. Once he does, June 12th will be the new date. Thanks Congress. You're lifesavers. ::)
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090204/ap_on_hi_te/tec_digital_tv_transition

Quoted from the article:

Democrats have tried to address these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to switch to digital signals sooner than June if they choose, potentially freeing up spectrum for public safety early. But it is unclear how many TV stations plan to take advantage of this option.

This means that some station can pull the plug on their analog stations early if they wish. Since many networks spent money preparing for the switchover, I speculate that some stations may take advantage of this option.