Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges (and slapstick) on PBS Wed 8pm EST

Offline busybuddy

The fact that movies like Mall Cop even get made is a prime example of why Hollywood sucks. You're not offending me at all. I can see why people don't like Jerry Lewis, but I'm stating my views too. Remember, there are plenty of people who think the Stooges suck, too. Different strokes foir different folks.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My point is that movies like Paul Blart: Mall Cop serve a purpose. Old Fred saw the movie and said it was a good movie to take the kids to...and that's what all of those kinds of movies are for. Are they going to rival Citizen Kane? No, if I went to see that film I would probably think it sucks. Then again, if I had kids it would be a different story and I would have a different perspective. I lived in the same house as two small kids for a period of time and it does change your perspective on such matters.

I'm guessing you're in your early twenties and have no children; if you ever have kids your perspective will change and trust me, you'll be sitting through equivalents to Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline busybuddy

My point is that movies like Paul Blart: Mall Cop serve a purpose. Old Fred saw the movie and said it was a good movie to take the kids to...and that's what all of those kinds of movies are for. Are they going to rival Citizen Kane? No, if I went to see that film I would probably think it sucks. Then again, if I had kids it would be a different story and I would have a different perspective. I lived in the same house as two small kids for a period of time and it does change your perspective on such matters.

I'm guessing you're in your early twenties and have no children; if you ever have kids your perspective will change and trust me, you'll be sitting through equivalents to Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

You're right, I am in my early 20's and have no kids. However, I have 5 neices and nephews who I baby-sit daily. I'm getting them started off on the right foot by showing them the Three Stooges, the original Looney Tunes, Popeye, and the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

Offline OldFred

If I may elaborate a little on the Stooges comparison, I believe Kevin James is a Three Stooges fan, and he wanted to add an element of the Stooges into 'Paul Blart', and I think he succeeded.

Granted, it's not high art, definitely not Chaplin, but then again, Chaplin indulged in a lot of slapstick, and there are elements of Chaplinesque pathos in the Blart character being a poor schlub everyman who finds himself in an unusual situation and manages to come out on top in the end. The slapstick in the film is 'cointenly' on the level of the Stooges, and that's part of the charm that I think makes the film work. Just think of Blart as Ralph Kramden or Curly on a Segway and that might give you a better idea about the movie.

I read an online review of a guy who had absolutely no intention of seeing the movie, but his 9 year old son really wanted to see it, so he sucked it up and took him hoping he could manage to stay awake, and was pleasantly surprised to find how funny it was and how much he enjoyed it.

Kevin James basically wanted to make a family friendly version of 'Die Hard', so you won't hear any 'Yippie Tie Yi Aye, Mother*****r!' in it, and that's ok. It's a fun, silly movie to take the kids to without worrying about them seeing anything ojectional in it. It reminds me of the shorts where the Stooges through sheer dumb luck manage to outwit a gang of crooks.

If you don't want to see the movie, no one is twisting your arm. (Though I may reach down your throat and pull out your tonsils and make you wear them as a bow tie!) But if you like Stooge-style slapstick comedy, you might enjoy the 'Paul Blart' movie which carries on the Stooge tradition in a fun way.

Now, spread-out Grapehead, or I'll give you the new fingers.

Hey, those are the old fingers.

They'll Do!

<POKE>

Oh! Oh!  [3stooges]

Offline busybuddy

If I may elaborate a little on the Stooges comparison, I believe Kevin James is a Three Stooges fan, and he wanted to add an element of the Stooges into 'Paul Blart', and I think he succeeded.

Granted, it's not high art, definitely not Chaplin, but then again, Chaplin indulged in a lot of slapstick, and there are elements of Chaplinesque pathos in the Blart character being a poor schlub everyman who finds himself in an unusual situation and manages to come out on top in the end. The slapstick in the film is 'cointenly' on the level of the Stooges, and that's part of the charm that I think makes the film work. Just think of Blart as Ralph Kramden or Curly on a Segway and that might give you a better idea about the movie.

I read an online review of a guy who had absolutely no intention of seeing the movie, but his 9 year old son really wanted to see it, so he sucked it up and took him hoping he could manage to stay awake, and was pleasantly surprised to find how funny it was and how much he enjoyed it.

Kevin James basically wanted to make a family friendly version of 'Die Hard', so you won't hear any 'Yippie Tie Yi Aye, Mother*****r!' in it, and that's ok. It's a fun, silly movie to take the kids to without worrying about them seeing anything ojectional in it. It reminds me of the shorts where the Stooges through sheer dumb luck manage to outwit a gang of crooks.

If you don't want to see the movie, no one is twisting your arm. (Though I may reach down your throat and pull out your tonsils and make you wear them as a bow tie!) But if you like Stooge-style slapstick comedy, you might enjoy the 'Paul Blart' movie which carries on the Stooge tradition in a fun way.

Now, spread-out Grapehead, or I'll give you the new fingers.

Hey, those are the old fingers.

They'll Do!

<POKE>

Oh! Oh!  [3stooges]

But why waste time watching someone acting like the Stooges when I can stay at home and watch the real thing and save $9? If I'm going to the movies, it had better be worth the money I spend and the two hours out of my day. There's so much good comedy that has been made on film since the invention of the motion picture until now, why waste time on mediocre fluff? The worst W.C. Fields, Gene Wilder, or Three Stooges film is still better than the best Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, or Kevin James movie anyday. I don't want to to see a guy like Ralph Kramden or Curly on a segway, I want to see Ralph Kramden on a bus and Curly on a scooter posing as his horse.

I like Stooges style slapstick, but it's only funny when the Stooges do it. It's not just slipping on a banana peel (not in a literal sense, I know the Stooges never used a banana peel), it's slipping on a banana peel with perfect timing, great editing, and heart and soul behind it, and that's what most of these new guys are missing. Yes, falling through a glass window can be funny, but the way it's filmed and the way they react to falling through the window are key elements. Am I the only one who is sick of people getting into an accident in a movie, only to get up and say, "I'm okay!"?

Give me the real Stooges anyday.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You just don't understand, with children you are looking for appropriate entertainment, and as much as you'd like to you can't completely program children into liking everything you do.

When you get your own children or as you get older and have more experience with children you'll understand.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline OldFred

The problem is that the Stooges and Jackie Gleason are all dead. At least there are newer and younger comedians around who are carrying on the tradition of slapstick comedy. I wonder how many people back in the day looked at the Stooges and groused 'Oh, they're not as good as the Keystone Kops!'. I'm glad to see comics like Kevin James keeping the tradition of the Stooges alive today and in a way that kids will enjoy it too. 

Offline busybuddy

You just don't understand, with children you are looking for appropriate entertainment, and as much as you'd like to you can't completely program children into liking everything you do.

When you get your own children or as you get older and have more experience with children you'll understand.

When I was a kid while all the other kids in preschool were going home and watching Ninja Turtles, I was watching the later Shemps with stock footage. We're not going to be around forever, there's generations coming up that need to carry on the Stooge fan tradition. My neices and nephews love Thomas The Tank Engine, Batman, Elmo, Dora The Explorer, and Hannah Montanana, but just last week, my two year old nephew begged to watch Uncivil Warriors.

Offline metaldams

I have an almost 8 month old Nephew, and while he's too young to really appreciate TV, it's agreed upon between me AND my brother he will watch The Three Stooges.  My brother owns some of the new DVD sets for this reason.  As a kid, I watched The Three Stooges and Little Rascals, but also He-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I'm sure my nephew will also be watching whatever tripe Disney's throwing at us this week as well, it just becomes part of the territory.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

My neices and nephews love Thomas The Tank Engine, Batman, Elmo, Dora The Explorer, and Hannah Montanana...

Hannah Montana?? My 7 year old cousin watches that. Personally, I think shows like that aren't good for children. If I were the parent of my cousin, I wouldn't let her watch that.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The problem is that the Stooges and Jackie Gleason are all dead. At least there are newer and younger comedians around who are carrying on the tradition of slapstick comedy. I wonder how many people back in the day looked at the Stooges and groused 'Oh, they're not as good as the Keystone Kops!'. I'm glad to see comics like Kevin James keeping the tradition of the Stooges alive today and in a way that kids will enjoy it too.

Right: I tried to get my friend's children (who are now 8 and 6) to watch the Stooges and they were absolutely bored to tears and wouldn't pay attention, partly because the Stooges shorts are so old and partly because they are in B&W. Kids are always going to want to find newer things to watch that their parents and older generations will not necessarily like (Pokemon, Spongebob, Ben 10, etc) whether they take a liking to the stuff you are trying to show them or not.

When I was a kid while all the other kids in preschool were going home and watching Ninja Turtles, I was watching the later Shemps with stock footage. We're not going to be around forever, there's generations coming up that need to carry on the Stooge fan tradition. My neices and nephews love Thomas The Tank Engine, Batman, Elmo, Dora The Explorer, and Hannah Montanana, but just last week, my two year old nephew begged to watch Uncivil Warriors.

You realize that you were the exception and not the rule right? I also find it hard to believe that your two year old nephew begged to watch Uncivil Warriors by name. Also, I'll bet you dollars to donuts to your nieces and nephews look back more fondly on Dora and Hannah than the Three Stooges, because that's the stuff that will be associated with their generation.

Hannah Montana?? My 7 year old cousin watches that. Personally, I think shows like that aren't good for children. If I were the parent of my cousin, I wouldn't let her watch that.

Ha! Good luck with that one, X.

xraffle

Ha! Good luck with that one, X.

LOL. It's because shows like that give bad examples to young girls. We have Miley Cyrus in "Hannah Montana." Then we have Jamie Lynn Spears in "Zoey 101" who got pregnant at 16. These young actresses in these kids shows are bad role models. It's no wonder why I see 10 year old girls walking around outside in skimpy outfits. [yuck]

Offline JazzBill

Right: I tried to get my friend's children (who are now 8 and 6) to watch the Stooges and they were absolutely bored to tears and wouldn't pay attention, partly because the Stooges shorts are so old and partly because they are in B&W. Kids are always going to want to find newer things to watch that their parents and older generations will not necessarily like (Pokemon, Spongebob, Ben 10, etc) whether they take a liking to the stuff you are trying to show them or not.
I have 6 grandsons, aged 3 to 16. Most of them enjoy the Three Stooges. I have kept an eye out to see when they think somethings funny. They seem to laugh the most at the sound effects when they are hitting each other. I guess there's something funny about adults slapping each other around.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

LOL. It's because shows like that give bad examples to young girls. We have Miley Cyrus in "Hannah Montana." Then we have Jamie Lynn Spears in "Zoey 101" who got pregnant at 16. These young actresses in these kids shows are bad role models. It's no wonder why I see 10 year old girls walking around outside in skimpy outfits. [yuck]

Was hanging out with my friend at the mall last night, who's over 50 and while not married, might as well be.  He was checking some girl with a mini skirt, f*ck-me boots, and black stockings.

I go, "Dude, she's like, 13."

He does a double take and goes, "My God, I think you're right!"

It is sick the way some of these young girls dress.  The problem is, you really can't tell who's 18 anymore.  I blame the parents who should know what their teens are doing, not Miley Cyrus.  I listened to Guns 'n' Roses at age 10, and that's way worse than what these kids arew watching.  I turned out OK, but I was raised better.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

Was hanging out with my friend at the mall last night, who's over 50 and while not married, might as well be.  He was checking some girl with a mini skirt, f*ck-me boots, and black stockings.

I go, "Dude, she's like, 13."

He does a double take and goes, "My God, I think you're right!"

That's exactly why I was a tomboy when I was in my teens ('grew out of it at 17).  But even now, when I go to the mall with a friend, and they nudge me and say, "Hey, that guy over there is hella checking you out,"(and I don't dress like a ho, either) it makes me feel like I'm somewhat under a microscope.  I've never liked the 'meat market' mentality; it can be very unnerving.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline OldFred

Kevin James' 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' is number one at the box office for the second week in a row. Nice to see that people will go and bring their kids to see a film featuring good, old fashion slapstick.  [3stooges]

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/paul-blart-mall-cop-grabs-top-box-office-spot-ap

Offline curlysdame

I saw it last night, and thought it was very funny.  I went to see it because I like Kevin James, and I wasn't disappointed.  The love scenes are awkwardly funny, and the stuff with him and that stupid Segway are great, too.   :D
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline busybuddy

Please note: Today's Episode Pick- Jerry Lewis in Cinderfella with a 4 poke rating.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Please note: Today's Episode Pick- Jerry Lewis in Cinderfella with a 4 poke rating.

That was only because only one member had ever bothered to rate it, and that person apparently loved the movie.  Now that I've recorded my own opinion (I gave it a half-poke, for Joe Besser's sake) the overall rating is considerably lower.   ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Bad move drawing attention to the rating of a film in a braggadocios manner...three people (including Rob) have already given it a half-poke and a certain someone just bombed it. Your 4 has now become a 1.

Does this remind any other "long-timers" of when we had the "Top Ten" on the homepage and people would bomb great shorts for the sole purpose of changing of the rankings?